IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Home Theater, A place for cloudynights if you don't have a planetarium built yet
NeoDinian
post Oct 27 2006, 08:16 PM
Post #1

Just a State of Mind!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12

Cool...

And a LotR fan to boot... smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Oct 28 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #2

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

Thanks Rick, believe it or not there are a lot more pictures but this bunch pretty much cover the event!

WOW, it's the day after and I'm still on cloud nine! Had to look outside first thing this morning just to make sure it was real. Now to accumulate some more money and start building. (Was a terrible summer business wise.)

Yes Neo, LOTR's rules. Once a year I have a party which starts at 8:00AM and we do the entire extended edition in a day. I have an 18ft. screen so it's just like the movies.

+Quote Post
NeoDinian
post Oct 28 2006, 12:37 PM
Post #3

Just a State of Mind!

Cool.. Not to go off topic, but I'd like to know more about your screen... Obviously it's a Projector.. What kind you have? I've been thinking of getting one and makeing a home theater room in my basement. smile.gif

And 18 FOOT sounds great!!!

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Oct 28 2006, 01:36 PM
Post #4

Galaxy Super Cluster

Neo, I'm a firm believer that a scope picture should get wider, not have black bars top and bottom.

I'm on my 4th projector in 20 years as I use them extensively in my business. Started out with an Advent then on to a Panasonic 101 three gun. I did a lot of research (I always do a lot of research) to get the best bang for the buck. When the three gun gave out I went for a Sanyo PLC-XP20N.

I found that Sanyo makes the "engines" for a lot of the projectors out there so I reasoned they must be good. I put a lot of hours on a projector viewing raw footage, edits in progress, and doing ADR and other such tasks, probably putting an average of 5 hours a day on the unit. The XP20N was the first of the XGA's and at 2200 lumen's gave me a great picture. The only drawback is I was going through a lamp every 6 months on average and at $400+ was a strain. It started to develop a blue streak along one side which was one of the chips and because that model required replacement of the entire three chip block at a cost of $4K I decided to retire it to the planetarium. (Clients don't like to see their program with a blue side, they don't understand.)

About two years ago I went with another Sanyo (I really like the video picture they put out) PLV-70. This is a WXGA projector and with an extra wide angle adaptor I was able to get an excellent picture on a large screen. Even for a TV spot, clients really love to see their program in a large presentation. I'm getting about a year per lamp out of this new machine with the same screen brightness, contrast is also better.

The other nice thing about going to the digital projectors is that there is only one lens and easily focused. Thus the projector is back in the projection room where it belongs.

+Quote Post
NeoDinian
post Oct 28 2006, 03:27 PM
Post #5

Just a State of Mind!

Yeah, I know about the one lens being easier to work with... Also cheaper than the 3 lens systems. I could see the expendables (bulbs) being expensive with that.

I'm still debating what I want to get, but I know I want BIG. I love the movie theater experience...

"Letterboxed" is fine with me, as that is the way movies were intended to be seen.. I'm actually a big fan of the OLD 70mm theaters. (Current film is 32mm) Where I grew up they have one of the last existing 70mm systems around. When Star Wars EP 1 2 and 3 came out, there were only like 5 copies made in the 70mm format.. I LOVED that. Havn't seen the curtian open that far in a LONG TIME! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Oct 28 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #6

Galaxy Super Cluster

70mm is still the way to go! Imax is based on it. 35mm is good as well as the film stocks have been improving all the time.

We should get Gustavo to open a new forum for us Home Theater and movie nuts. (Hint, hint.....)

+Quote Post
E.Tetzlaff
post Oct 30 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #7

Dust Disk

Group: Members
Member No.: 86

Hi Guys

See you discussing home theators. I picked up a Ben Q 8700 DLP a few years back and am very happy with it. It is DLP and HD native. I am using a high contrast 10 foot wide screen and I love evey minute of it. I have built a home theator in my basement with Dolby surround sound and use it for DVD movies and HD football on weekends. I am useing the DVI input to the projector and the detail is really something to see. You will never go to the theator again when you have your own.

Gene

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Oct 30 2006, 12:20 PM
Post #8

Galaxy Super Cluster

Hi Gene,

I know what you mean. The closest multiplex from me is about 20 miles away. It's just not worth the hassle anymore. Usually they run the lamp at a lower then normal amperage to get more hours out of it so the picture is dim and the sound could be adjusted once in a while. I like my playback level up where it should be.

Since most movies come out on DVD within six months or so, I'll wait and enjoy them at my convenience.

(Gustavo-It looks like we need a Home Theater forum someplace. I'll moderate if you like.)

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jul 1 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #9

Galaxy Super Cluster

I found this in my observatory building thread and wondered if it would develop more interest if brought out into the open.

Any takers?????

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Nov 29 2011, 02:15 PM
Post #10

Galaxy Super Cluster

I guess there were no takers. Anyone out there moved up to Blu-Ray? Well worth the improvement! Now I'm thinking of going 3D! blink.gif

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Feb 2 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #11

Galaxy Super Cluster

We just had our annual LOTR extended edition marathon. Started at 9:00 am and finished at 11:00 pm. First time in Hi Def and uncompressed DTS sound. I always place the voice level at 80db and let the rest of the sound track balance itself. Definitely don't need to go out to the movies any longer.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Feb 20 2012, 01:13 PM
Post #12

Galaxy Super Cluster

Well, as I was waiting for a building permit, I decided to go 3D with a new screen. 240 inch (20 foot). Avatar is great but Imax Hubble 3D is amazing.

Here I am sitting on the far right speaker of my center channel array.

Attached File  screen_with_ron_web.JPG ( 17.66k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2019 - 03:38 AM