> P-H-M Minolta/Viewlex Series IIB, Classic Projector Restoration
Ron Walker
post Feb 15 2014, 10:09 AM
Post #181

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

QUOTE(bjsullivan @ Feb 14 2014, 06:55 PM) *
These are time exposures made by photographer Christopher Short using a very fancy digital camera. He is really good at capturing these images. The stars are the real deal from the Minolta. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures you will take in your own dome, I'll bet they are similar to these in quality. We are using a 7 watt water-cooled argon ion laser formerly used in medical applications, and it runs off the 220V dryer outlet.

That is quite spectacular, and you can be sure that I will be taking all kinds of pictures under the dome. At first I wondered why the stars looked so foreign to me then realized these are southern hemisphere stars.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bjsullivan
post Feb 15 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #182

Star Cluster

Group: Members
Member No.: 444

QUOTE(moonmagic @ Feb 14 2014, 06:20 PM) *
B- That is a SPECTACULAR picture. How did you get the laser image so static and yet get the stars to show up? Wow. Are the stars actually that bright with what I assume to be a fairly bright laser projection?

That is darned good on a vaulted ceiling!

Now as to that MOUSE. Has it taken up residence in the machine works? At one place I used to work we had some machines that ran by motors nearly 24/7. Mice would take up in the motor areas to stay warm. Sadly they also left their "presents" all over the place too.

Maybe he came with the machine. I've seen some "board work" on those that appeared someone may have soldered a wire connection everywhere a mouse ran. (I saved you one from a recent "find" so that you can see it was the way THEY were ALL installed! mm

Hello mm, the stars DO show up pretty good in the background even with the laser images in the foreground. Although, the brighter abstracts do tend to wash out the stars during certain segments. After becoming dark adapted, even a low power laser will do the job. I enjoy it when the laser graphics stop for a moment and there is a spectacular star field reveal which was really there all of the time, just in the background.

Now as to that MOUSE.. he was living in the KTP Laserscope but he moved to the Minolta when we started taking panels off the KTP. Capable of burning holes through various things including the side of the house if not careful, shown here in a fresh coat of black paint. It had been sitting in a warehouse before I got it so rumor has it Mr. Mouse is from Missouri.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sunday_Feb2_008_small.JPG ( 72.89k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
bjsullivan
post Feb 15 2014, 12:44 PM
Post #183

Star Cluster

Addition of laser displays to star fields has been a natural and logical progression of the hobby, a seed that was planted when I saw my first Laserium show in the late 70's at the Kirkpatrick Planetarium in Oklahoma City. Years later, I exchanged emails with a fellow in Australia that now owns some of the the ex-Laserium equipment from that era. I am fortunate to find a few guys in Phoenix that have been in the industry for many years. In this photo, a friend is adding a solid state red laser diode to the Argon Ion beam just before the fiber optic feed to the scan head.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  photo_205_small.JPG ( 79.42k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
moonmagic
post Feb 20 2014, 07:24 PM
Post #184

Star

Member No.: 875

There you go again....having FUN with your machines! I'm just GREEN with ENVY....mm

+Quote Post
bjsullivan
post Feb 25 2014, 11:32 AM
Post #185

Star Cluster

QUOTE(moonmagic @ Feb 20 2014, 08:24 PM) *
There you go again....having FUN with your machines! I'm just GREEN with ENVY....mm

Thanks mm.. another picture Christmas night 2013, on top of a hill in the desert. The hill was surrounded on all sides by a ring of low mountains forming a bowl. The sky above just like a giant dome, decorated by stars.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DSC_6220_small.JPG ( 85.7k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Feb 25 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #186

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

Did you need to get any kind of special permit to be able to do that? I'm wondering about any aircraft and laser light and all that.

+Quote Post
bjsullivan
post Feb 26 2014, 08:05 PM
Post #187

Star Cluster

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Feb 25 2014, 01:59 PM) *
Did you need to get any kind of special permit to be able to do that? I'm wondering about any aircraft and laser light and all that.

Yes, absolutely.. paperwork was filed in advance as these beams are visible for miles. Feds are cracking down on laser beam cockpit intrusions and we obey and respect the law. Multi-color beams are astonishing against the nighttime desert backdrop with millions of stars overhead. We simulate this indoors but nothing beats the real dome above.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  DSC_6226_small.JPG ( 87.39k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2019 - 04:22 AM