Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Considering a curved door
Greg Mueller
post Jun 27 2007, 08:10 AM
Post #1

Dust Disk

Group: Members
Member No.: 467

My plan to date has been to use a flat steel 36" door with aluminum or steel frame. This would be a full sized exterior walk in door. I'd go in on the ground floor and then up some stairs and finally a ladder in to the observatory. But I've always wondered about a curved door to match the 12'2" dia. corrugated observatory walls. Since the curved door would be the security door it would have to be pretty strong.

Anyone have any ideas?

PS
I've also been considering an elevator type platform instead of the ladder as I just found out I'm losing the cartilage in my knees
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SteveDurham
post Jun 27 2007, 09:48 AM
Post #2

Star Cluster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10

Any door will only have to be as strong as the walls of the observatory. I would THINK you could get some 2X2 angle to use as the left and right sides, and some flat stock pieces to bend to the radius of the Observatory walls for the top and bottom, as well as a couple in between. Panel the outside with the same corregated material as the walls. Add some curved wood pieces on edge to the inside of the door as stiffeners, panel the inside with the corregated material as well. Weld or bolt on some hinges, and use a sliding bolt with lock arrangement on the other side.

There are small, (4X4) handicapped lifts available for sale. I'm sure you could get on that would work.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2019 - 12:24 AM