IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> State of the Art Planetariiums, Todays Monsters of the Midway!!
mrgare5050
post Mar 27 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #41

Gare

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

speaking of the LEM, did you see that NASA is getting ready to launch a comprehensive mapper of the moon that will take detailed close up views of the Apollo landing sites that none have seen in 40 years! wonder if the rovers have parking tickets?

also you know i was recently almost happy to see that computers dont always get it right .. not even the laws of physics know everything - the two pioneer spacecraft that are far beyond anything man has ever made - they are NOT where they are supposed to be! their paths show deviations, and nobody knows why! gare
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Owen Phairis
post Mar 27 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #42

Galaxy

Member No.: 487

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Mar 27 2008, 05:30 PM) *
Actually my rather weird sense of humor is rearing its ugly head. I'm basing my bias on the number of mechanical film cameras I've had compared to the video ones.

Without these new finagled computers we couldn't have OCP and be talking about old geared machines! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I just picked up a Magellan GPS auto navigation device and it's almost uncanny as to how accurate the thing is. Talk about 1984! I think about the computer they had on the LEM back in 1969 and it had a whopping 4 or 8K of memory. I hope I last another 25 years as it will be interesting to see what happens. I'll still be running my gears though as I really love that kind of thing. I wonder if bulbs will still be available?

Gears make cars work... I have nothing against gears.

We need to start thinking of the future and start working on a green planetarium projector using solar powered compact florescent tubes .....

Owen

+Quote Post
Owen Phairis
post Mar 27 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #43

Galaxy

Member No.: 487

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Mar 27 2008, 05:36 PM) *
speaking of the LEM, did you see that NASA is getting ready to launch a comprehensive mapper of the moon that will take detailed close up views of the Apollo landing sites that none have seen in 40 years! wonder if the rovers have parking tickets?

also you know i was recently almost happy to see that computers dont always get it right .. not even the laws of physics know everything - the two pioneer spacecraft that are far beyond anything man has ever made - they are NOT where they are supposed to be! their paths show deviations, and nobody knows why! gare

DARK MATTER, the phtsicists answer to all astronomical abnomalties.....

Owen

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Mar 27 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #44

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Mar 27 2008, 05:42 PM) *
Gears make cars work... I have nothing against gears.

We need to start thinking of the future and start working on a green planetarium projector using solar powered compact florescent tubes .....

Owen

But what do you do with the mercury when the bulbs burn out?

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Mar 27 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #45

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Mar 27 2008, 05:36 PM) *

It's kind of like "pie" (the mathematical kind). No one can really get it right because it goes on for ever. As soon as you round it off there will be error that will accumulate.

Also remember all that gravitational force by all those Quasars and Black Holes out there.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Mar 27 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #46

Gare

QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Mar 28 2008, 12:46 AM) *
DARK MATTER, the phtsicists answer to all astronomical abnomalties.....

Owen

i was going with a leaky vent myself.....

albert garestein

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Mar 27 2008, 07:13 PM
Post #47

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Mar 27 2008, 05:55 PM) *
i was going with a leaky vent myself.....

albert garestein

Say Al, is there anything left to leak???

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Mar 27 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #48

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Mar 28 2008, 01:13 AM) *
Say Al, is there anything left to leak???

well gas was ALOT cheaper when they filled pioneer up, so it had ALOT ...

g

+Quote Post
chemed
post Mar 27 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #49

Comet

Member No.: 777

QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Mar 27 2008, 11:50 AM) *
[attachment=1636:IBM1620E.jpg]

"Houston...we have a problem"

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Mar 27 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #50

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Mar 27 2008, 06:15 PM) *
well gas was ALOT cheaper when they filled pioneer up, so it had ALOT ...

g

That's the answer then!!! When I have too much gas everybody sends me in a direction I don't want to go. It's all thermodynamics after all.

+Quote Post
jukingeo
post Mar 29 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #51

Dust Disk

Member No.: 676

QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Mar 27 2008, 08:18 PM) *
Yes, I have a Commodore 64 here too, also a Vic 20 till my kids took it. I am lucky enough to have bought an Altair 8800 Kit computer when they first came out in the mid 70s. I also have the old DEC PDP 11 computers from Mount Palomar. I used to hate that dreded blue screen when it would appear on Windows 98, now that I am running Windows XP Sevice Pack 2 I have been pretty satisfied.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Norden bomb sights are still working, however, the new planes require simultaneous tracking of ten boggies over one hundred miles away, hard to do with gears.... even the antenna is an electronically phased aray radar for speed.

Owen

Altair 8800
[attachment=1638:altair.jpg]

Flashback:

Hey guys, remember this thing?

http://www.maniacworld.com/game_console_hi...y/Kaypro_II.jpg

THAT should bring back memories, used the antiquated CP/M operating system.

I tried programming one of these back when I was a teen in the early 80's...but it fell out of favor with me and I took to these machines instead:

http://www.vintagecomputer.net/tcf_2005/co...t4016_vic20.jpg

and of course the old standby:

http://www.allaboutapple.com/museo/picture...i/apple_iie.jpg

We had apples and Macs in school, but mostly used those for word processing. The Commodore PETs were used in the programming lab.

Eventually my school district got rid of them all in favor of an IBM system: The PCjr.

http://www.1000bit.net/lista/dati/ibm/pcjr/pcjr.jpg

After this...the rest is history.

I had the most fun with the PET computers because they were an easy machine to program as they use the BASIC operating system. It became a popular computer to write and play games on. Some had a built in tape drive like this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/unclexav/940115972/

But I preferred the ones with an external tape drive because it had a "normal" keyboard. What is the tape drive for? Well believe it or not, it was a low cost method of data storation. But it took a LONG time to load even the smallest of programs. These were the days when a computer with 8k for memory was considered huge. There were no hard drives (except on the mainframe) and an 8" floppy drive was considered a luxury item.

I actually learned word processing on a Wordstar machine.

Nice blast from the past, huh? Time to play a round of pinball.

Geo

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Mar 30 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #52

Galaxy Super Cluster

I remember the Commodore 64 using a regular cassette tape for data storage. Talk about slow. Then they added a 5 inch floppy.

+Quote Post
charles jones
post Mar 30 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #53

Planetoid

Member No.: 503

I used a "home built" computer, cp/m o.s. and 64K memory, and 2 8" floppies in the early 80's. Actually I used it until the IBM's came out and were the standard.

And my printer was a "Diablo" with the characters mounted on a chain that whipped around at some amazing speed like 40 chars/sec. You could print a whole page in 3 minutes!

+Quote Post
jukingeo
post Mar 31 2008, 06:20 AM
Post #54

Dust Disk

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Mar 30 2008, 06:38 PM) *
I remember the Commodore 64 using a regular cassette tape for data storage. Talk about slow. Then they added a 5 inch floppy.

I skipped over the Commodore 64 thinking it was going to be a flash in the pan as the Commodore Vic 20 was. I went right to the Commodore 128 (which had reverse 64 capability). As it turned out, shortly after the release of the Amiga there was very little to no support for the 128 mode of the Commodore 128. So basically I just had a 'beefed up' Commodore 64. I wrote my own Commodore 128 programs though. Like all Commodores, it was also a Basic machine.

As for the Kaypro, I liked the machine because it was a portable AND with 5 1/4 drives built in. So needless to say at that time, it was a very fast computer. Our school only had one and I was constantly cursed at because I hogged up most of the time on the machine.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Mar 31 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #55

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(charles jones @ Mar 30 2008, 08:19 PM) *
I used a "home built" computer, cp/m o.s. and 64K memory, and 2 8" floppies in the early 80's. Actually I used it until the IBM's came out and were the standard.

And my printer was a "Diablo" with the characters mounted on a chain that whipped around at some amazing speed like 40 chars/sec. You could print a whole page in 3 minutes!

WOW, a page in 3 minutes....you must have been using draft mode!!! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
jukingeo
post Mar 31 2008, 04:48 PM
Post #56

Dust Disk

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Mar 31 2008, 06:23 PM) *
WOW, a page in 3 minutes....you must have been using draft mode!!! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

A page in 3mins? No that would be dot matrix printing in standard mode. If you wanted enhanced or letter quality dot matrix, the printer had to double strike and that took at least twice as long. But then again it did take about 5 to 6 mins for your average daisy wheel printer to print a sheet of paper. Granted you had letter quality but you didn't have graphic capabilities with a daisy wheel.

I had a Royal daisy wheel typewriter hooked up to my Commodore to print. I forgone graphics so I can print out something for school book reports. It was a good printer until it was zapped by a power surge (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . But it was SLLLOOOWWW!

After that printer I had a dot matrix for the longest time with my first PC. Then finally jet printers came out.

At work we have a nice state of the art Xerox color laser printer. Ahhhh, Fun Flies By When You
Are Having Time....or is that Time Flies By When you are Having Fun? I dunno...Me gets cornfused!

But I tell you it was a trip down memory lane thinking back to all that old computer equipment I used to mess around with.

Geo

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Apr 10 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #57

Star

Member No.: 106

QUOTE(jukingeo @ Mar 31 2008, 03:48 PM) *
A page in 3mins? No that would be dot matrix printing in standard mode. If you wanted enhanced or letter quality dot matrix, the printer had to double strike and that took at least twice as long. But then again it did take about 5 to 6 mins for your average daisy wheel printer to print a sheet of paper. Granted you had letter quality but you didn't have graphic capabilities with a daisy wheel.

I had a Royal daisy wheel typewriter hooked up to my Commodore to print. I forgone graphics so I can print out something for school book reports. It was a good printer until it was zapped by a power surge (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . But it was SLLLOOOWWW!

After that printer I had a dot matrix for the longest time with my first PC. Then finally jet printers came out.

At work we have a nice state of the art Xerox color laser printer. Ahhhh, Fun Flies By When You
Are Having Time....or is that Time Flies By When you are Having Fun? I dunno...Me gets cornfused!

But I tell you it was a trip down memory lane thinking back to all that old computer equipment I used to mess around with.

Geo

OK, I don't know where this post of mine belongs, but here goes. I was looking at the shelf where my model A projector was sitting and noticed the cow bell sitting next to it. The phrase "I need more cowbell" bounced around in my head. At that point I had no idea what that meant beyond a tag line in this forum. Then, this morning on Dave Berry's blog I saw a reference to the 50 best comic videos in history, and when I saw number 50, everything was revealed. I could explain, but, on one hand, it may be better to just leave the phrase as a mysterious nonsensical thing that simply came out of left field. I does clarify the picture that you use. All this time I thought it was a photo of you. I hope I wasn't the only one that didn't know where the phrase came from.

+Quote Post
jukingeo
post Apr 10 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #58

Dust Disk

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Apr 10 2008, 02:29 PM) *
OK, I don't know where this post of mine belongs, but here goes. I was looking at the shelf where my model A projector was sitting and noticed the cow bell sitting next to it. The phrase "I need more cowbell" bounced around in my head. At that point I had no idea what that meant beyond a tag line in this forum. Then, this morning on Dave Berry's blog I saw a reference to the 50 best comic videos in history, and when I saw number 50, everything was revealed. I could explain, but, on one hand, it may be better to just leave the phrase as a mysterious nonsensical thing that simply came out of left field. I does clarify the picture that you use. All this time I thought it was a photo of you. I hope I wasn't the only one that didn't know where the phrase came from.

Hello Ken,

LOL, I was wondering why no one reacted to that here. Well, don't feel bad, the cowbell skit has been floating around since around 2001 or so. So I was shocked myself that 7 years went by and I never heard of this. But I will say that the past 2 years or so "More Cowbell" has been taking off.

The picture obviously is not me, but rather Will Ferrel (who also wrote the skit). While Will's performance in the skit is very memorable. It is the performance of Christopher Walken that really stands out in terms of memorable lines.

A little bit of history regarding Blue Oyster Cult is warranted and there is a reason to the madness. As it turns out, Don't Fear The Reaper, which is undoubtably BOC's greatest hit has a cowbell track in it. As Will Ferrel's character points out (in the skit), BOC didn't have many songs (if any outside of "Don't Fear...") that featured the cowbell. The cowbell in the song is VERY faint and hard to make out. In fact, originally "Don't Fear..." was NOT recorded with a cowbell at all. It was a last minute decision of BOC's manager that he wanted a cowbell in the song. BOC's leader, Eric Bloom, balked at the idea, but complied. It has he himself that recorded the cowbell track. There wasn't a band member of BOC by the name of Gene Frenkel, it was a totally fictionalized character that Will Ferrel.

Apparently Will Ferrel must have did a little digging into BOC's history and came up with a funny play on the cowbell scenario turing it around on end, bringing to the forefront an instrument that normally is not noticed very much (an embellishment instrument, like a tamborine, triangle, wood block, etc) and made it the predominate instrument on the track. Thus no matter how loud and overbearing the cowbell was, the producer still wanted "More Cowbell".

Considering that many rock (and latin) bands do use cowbells in their songs, the skit had a following with popular and local bands and it spread out from there.

The skit really took off once it made it to YouTube.

How did I come across it? Well believe it or not, I was looking for a good rock song to make a video with out of the famous Ben Hur chariot race scene. (I try songs out by overlaping them on previously made You Tube videos). It turns out that the clearest cut of the song I wanted to use, came from a console (video) game called Guitar Hero (I am sure you guys heard about this game right?). So I ended up checking this game out and when I came to a song listing, I homed in on the classic songs. One of the songs was Don't Fear The Reaper. While watching (and listening) do the demo of this song, for a moment, the video cut away from the game and to the skit of Will Ferrel "Exploring The Space" banging on the cowbell. Then the video went back to game. I was like "What the heck was that!". At the end they mentioned the clip was taken from a Saturday Night Live skit called "More Cowbell". I found the clip on YouTube and almost died laughing. (They since have removed it because it is copyrighted material, but you can find it elsewhere). What I found equally amazing was how many times others recreated the skit over the years.

Believe it or not, I too am looking to do the skit with friends. I happen to have the EXACT cowbell used in the skit (Yeah, I know, I am that bad. I actually pinpointed the exact make and model cowbell that Will Ferrel used...a Latin Percussion (LP) Black Beauty Sr.). Also I have a curly hair wig and I am pretty robust in the mid section (even more so than Will). So I would be a shoe in for Gene Frenkel (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . Sadly though, I don't look like Will Ferrel.

Anyway, in the event you want to read up on the skit more, here is the wiki. It is the long version of what I explained above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_cowbell

Enjoy!

Geo

+Quote Post
jukingeo
post Apr 10 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #59

Dust Disk

Oh! Almost forgot...

I already farmed out the cover SNL skits on You Tube and this one is by far the funniest...It is done by a group of Asian guy's during a school talent competition. I find it almost as funny as the original, but there is one VERY important difference...these guys are playing live, the SNL skit was done to a recording of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7raPB7ZTXsY...feature=related

EnYoy (Enjoy).

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Jun 29 2011, 01:38 PM
Post #60

Star

Member No.: 106

Has anybody been following the new Adler Planetarium upgrade? The digital projector specs sound incredible! It sounds like it surpasses anything that I have seen so far. It should be opening in about two weeks. Somebody needs to check it out and give us a report.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2019 - 12:24 AM