Reply to this topicStart new topic
> shutter width
sparky
post Jul 18 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #1

Interstellar Medium

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,045

is there a certain width that a shutter has to made? starting to work on a 10 ft. dome and little unsure what size to make shutter, i'm useing a 10 in meade with plans to upgrade to a 12 or 14in some time this winter, Thanks for any help you can offer.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SteveDurham
post Jul 19 2010, 06:28 AM
Post #2

Star Cluster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10

I don't think there is any hard, set rule. If it were me I'd shoot for 24 to 32 inches.

+Quote Post
sparky
post Jul 20 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #3

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 1,045

i did alot of searching last night an came across one post that said it best to have it 3 times the telescope width , you were close , think i will go with 36 inches

+Quote Post
SteveDurham
post Jul 21 2010, 05:56 AM
Post #4

Star Cluster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10

IMHO, 3 X the diameter of the scope would be useful if the dome were not going to be slaved to the scope for rotation. This would give you quite a bit of travel before having to move the dome. On the other hand, if the dome is going to be slaved to the rotation of the scope's RA axis the smaller the better to cut down on unwanted dew as well as wind currents entering from outside.
Good Luck with the build. We'd love to see pictures if you get the time.

Steve

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jul 21 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #5

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

I tend to agree with Steve. I wouldn't go over 24 inches as the larger the opening the larger the tendency to negate the reason for the dome. It would be interesting to see what percentage of dome area is open-able in all kinds of existing domes.

Take what I say with a grain of salt as I am far from an expert. Mine is just an opinion.

+Quote Post
laser
post Jul 28 2013, 07:08 PM
Post #6

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 2,704

QUOTE(sparky @ Jul 18 2010, 07:47 PM) *
is there a certain width that a shutter has to made? starting to work on a 10 ft. dome and little unsure what size to make shutter, i'm useing a 10 in meade with plans to upgrade to a 12 or 14in some time this winter, Thanks for any help you can offer.

How about a variable width opening? My dome is in the design phase and its what i'm considering. If I'm in it the opening is as small as possible. If I set the scope up to record before I leave for work (work nights) then its wide open and the dome would not need to turn. Once the timer runs out the dome closes.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jul 28 2013, 07:45 PM
Post #7

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

The original Exploradome has a 29 inch shutter and works well with my 11 inch scope. If you make the door to big I'm thinking the structural integrity would suffer. The answer is some kind of dome automation if you need more then an hour view at a time.

However, since this post is over three years old you probably have the thing built already. Unless your like me and take a long time to build anything. blink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2019 - 04:42 AM