Reply to this topicStart new topic
> $30 planetarium kit **REVIEW** Part 2
Ron Walker
post Aug 13 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

Now that you've finished punching holes all that's left is assembly. Here again things are much easier. Rather than two of the same capital letters to match up, there is a capital and a lower case. Big deal, you might say, but remember that now it is much easier to apply the double stick tape.

Apply it only to the tabs that have a capital letter on them. Apply the tape on the non printed side of the projection plates, the sides that do not have the constellation outlines printed on them.

(IMG:http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1299/addtapetoallcapitallettersgp2.jpg)

Then simply bent the tabs up 90* in the direction of the printed constellations.

(IMG:http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7012/benduptabspl6.jpg)

Now just make sure all the triangle joints are bent and start matching each capital letter to its lower case counterpart and press. Of the three larger projection plates you will find one letter combination on each. Once you have matched and taped you should have the following.

(IMG:http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9660/30planetariumkitplatescompletewebwj6.jpg)

Now it is a simple matter of matching the rest. On the bottom of the completed star projector are three tabs which are bent in on themselves and then just slide into the flanges below the bulb holder. If you match the stars (1-2-3) on the projector to the stars on the base all the hour and month indicators will indicate properly.

I personally think this is a much better planetarium then the $50 unit for several reasons.

1st. - With only 422 stars projected vs. 10,000 it becomes a much more useful teaching tool. You can set it to your latitude, month and hour, and see what constellations and stars are out for you to see.

2nd. - With a cheap, over volted, flash light bulb, the projector is much brighter and the stars easier to see. I would imagine that you could use this in a dome as large as ten feet in diameter. It would work in an Explora-Dome! Probably very well in something as small as three feet in diameter. The large filament lamp does cast stars as crescents at given angles but I'm doing some research right now on small filament lamps that could correct this problem entirely or at least a good part of it.

3rd. - The punching out of stars is a good learning and teaching tool, both for the family and the classroom. Making cardboard blanks of the star fields would allow everyone to make their own star-field, constellation outline, or whatever projector.

It is not often that one finds something cheaper that is better but this is it. I can trully say this would be a replacement for the Spitz Jr. Spend a night or two at home with your family making this device and the money you'll save in gas will pay for it. I highly recommend it!

I whish to thank Aaron at "The Karakuri Corner" for providing these planetarium kits for evaluation and review.

http://www.karakuricorner.com/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jan 17 2017, 04:06 AM
Post #2

Gare

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

Its time to pick an unbelievably old post and wonder what it was about. WHAT??? Does that say karoke? I perused the site today and didn't see any planetariums, but those 'marble runs' are cool, I used to make them out of lionel train track and all the marbles I won back when we played 'for keeps' ....

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jan 17 2017, 12:40 PM
Post #3

Galaxy Super Cluster

I see them now on ebay for$10 or less. Must be big marbles to run down a train track. Even between power central rail and outside rail. Or maybe I'm remembering them bigger then I thought.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jan 17 2017, 12:42 PM
Post #4

Galaxy Super Cluster

This thread is really old as the pictures where stored at a different location that went belly up.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 03:00 AM