Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Perks with IPS membership, Those great little giveaways
Ron Walker
post Dec 14 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #1

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

I joined the IPS in 2006 when my interest in all things planetarium again reared it's ugly head. It was fun to see what the pros were doing and it open up some interesting connections. Through Dome-L I was able to trace down the HPA and all the rest is history.

One of the perks of membership is the quarterly magazine the "Planetarian" which keeps me in touch with what the pros are doing. Every once in a while an extra (usually in the form of a DVD) is included. Over the years I have received a dozen and a half programs which will come in handy when I have a monthly program (if I ever get to the point of having monthly shows) that I haven't properly prepared for.

Most programs are from NASA about various missions, but I have also received programs like "Two Small Pieces Of Glass" an "Let There Be Night". All in all some great benefits of membership.

I just received my December issue and again there were some great extras. From NASA a program called "Ring World - The Story of Cassini", a great close up view of Saturn and its moons and rings. If I ever have an attached museum and waiting area, these kinds of programs could keep people entertained while waiting for the next show in the planetarium. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

But the reason for this post was the second disc included as an extra. A new show from the Hamburg Planetarium entitled "Lichtmond" (Universe of Light). It will be released in spring 2013 as a 4K full dome show for video planetariums. Now about all it has to do with astronomy is a section with various celestial objects floating around and I probably should be negative about it as it is a very good example of how the new "planetariums" are turning into movie theaters and not caring at all about the traditional star show. However, I can't be negative, because as just a pure entertainment this show is fantastic. The producers must really believe in it as well because the disc is a Blu-ray and contains the entire show in high definition video in both 2D and 3D as well!

The program is in a word, stunning. The 7.1 digital mix is outstanding, making full use of all the channels, immersing the viewer is clear crisp sound. The 3D is some of the best I've ever seen, background deep within the screen and objects reaching out so far you feel you can touch them. The impact can be compared to the first laser shows of "Dark Side of the Moon".

If you ever get a chance to see it, do. It has nothing to do with astronomy, it is just an entertainment, an entertainment designed to envelope ones senses to the extreme. I find it interesting that they would give away such a good copy of their program before it's even released, but it is understandable. When you get to see it you would be more tempted to get it as a full dome show. I kind of wonder how it would look through a half dome mirror type of projection...something I will experiment with.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
moonmagic
post Dec 17 2012, 05:49 PM
Post #2

Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 875

IPS and all the regionals are good groups of the professionals. Good organizations to support and all good people to get to know. mm

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Dec 29 2017, 05:57 PM
Post #3

Gare

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

I keep tripping over 90's copies of the Planetarian magazine out in my barn ...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 02:59 AM