> Planetarium Equipment For Sale, what's available from our membership
Hugh Richards
post Dec 4 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #1

Interstellar Medium

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

QUOTE(bjsullivan @ Jun 30 2007, 04:40 AM) *
The Goto EX-3 is rather strange and unusual, I found awhile back. Hopefully the pics will show if I did this correctly.

Dear all,

As it happens our school (in Australia) is currently decommisioning exactly this model of planetarium, including spare globes, attachments and umbrella. It still works well but bearings may need some work and the motor arm is slightly misaligned. Anyhow continuing the theme of shameless self promotion it's all going on ebay today or tomorrow (starting price $AU2000). I would attach photo's but I'm a computer dunce and don't get the url thing. Cheers Hugh
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Dec 4 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #2

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

Since some are looking and some are searching, I thought it would be great to have it all in one place.

+Quote Post
charles jones
post Dec 5 2007, 04:48 AM
Post #3

Planetoid

Member No.: 503

QUOTE(Hugh Richards @ Dec 4 2007, 07:17 PM) *
Dear all,

As it happens our school (in Australia) is currently decommisioning exactly this model of planetarium, including spare globes, attachments and umbrella. It still works well but bearings may need some work and the motor arm is slightly misaligned. Anyhow continuing the theme of shameless self promotion it's all going on ebay today or tomorrow (starting price $AU2000). I would attach photo's but I'm a computer dunce and don't get the url thing. Cheers Hugh

Hi Hugh:

can you tell us what brand planetarium projector it is? Is it the X-3?

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Dec 6 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #4

Star

Member No.: 106

QUOTE(Hugh Richards @ Dec 4 2007, 07:17 PM) *
Dear all,

I haven't seen anything show up on eBay yet. Is it perhaps in one of the overseas sections of eBay? I guess I should consider that somebody saw the announcement here and made a deal already.

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Dec 6 2007, 10:39 AM
Post #5

Star

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Dec 6 2007, 08:26 AM) *
Is it perhaps in one of the overseas sections of eBay?

It's probably bad form to answer my own posts, but, for what it's worth, I don't see this item listed in eBay.com.au (the Australian arm of eBay).

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Dec 6 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #6

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Dec 6 2007, 09:39 AM) *
It's probably bad form to answer my own posts, but, for what it's worth, I don't see this item listed in eBay.com.au (the Australian arm of eBay).

Don't see anything wrong with that. Sometimes I'm the only one that will talk to me. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Dec 6 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #7

Gare

Member No.: 61

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Dec 6 2007, 05:48 PM) *
Don't see anything wrong with that. Sometimes I'm the only one that will talk to me. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

everytime i try to talk to myself i get a busy signal. and that REALLY worries me gare

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Dec 6 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #8

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Dec 6 2007, 10:53 AM) *
everytime i try to talk to myself i get a busy signal. and that REALLY worries me gare

Nothing to worry about there. Getting a busy signal just means that your involved doing something constructive and don't have time to talk to yourself. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post
Owen Phairis
post Dec 9 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #9

Galaxy

Member No.: 487

There is a Starlab planetarium with a 16 foot diameter dome on EBAY right now. The starting bid is $ 3,000.00 plus $175.00 shipping.

Owen
www.pictorialism.com

Nova III
GOTO S-2
Spitz A1 and A3P

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Dec 10 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #10

Star

QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Dec 9 2007, 04:20 PM) *
There is a Starlab planetarium with a 16 foot diameter dome on EBAY right now. The starting bid is $ 3,000.00 plus $175.00 shipping.

Owen
www.pictorialism.com

Nova III
GOTO S-2
Spitz A1 and A3P

I can't find that item. I tried searches for Starlab, inflatable dome, and planetarium. From what I've been told, there are better alternatives to the Starlab dome, but $3000 seems like a good price.

The EX-3 in Australia finally showed up, but only on ebay.au, and only for sale in Australia.

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Dec 10 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #11

Star

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Dec 10 2007, 09:21 AM) *
I can't find that item. I tried searches for Starlab, inflatable dome, and planetarium. From what I've been told, there are better alternatives to the Starlab dome, but $3000 seems like a good price.

The EX-3 in Australia finally showed up, but only on ebay.au, and only for sale in Australia.

OK, now the Starlab shows up, in fact two of them are now listed!

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Dec 15 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #12

Star

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Dec 10 2007, 09:21 AM) *

I need to clarify an error I made about the EX-3 on the eBay.au auction site. That item is, in fact, available for shipping outside Australia. I don't know why he didn't list it on the US eBay site. The $2000 AU opening price is equivalent to about $1723 US.

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Dec 17 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #13

Star

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Dec 15 2007, 08:08 AM) *
I need to clarify an error I made about the EX-3 on the eBay.au auction site. That item is, in fact, available for shipping outside Australia. I don't know why he didn't list it on the US eBay site. The $2000 AU opening price is equivalent to about $1723 US.

This auction ended without a bid. I think there is a very limited market for this kind of thing (the Ex-3 in particular), and finding an interested buyer is a challenge. This is a relatively expensive item, and has a very specific use. It is a tool for teaching the mechanics of the universe, and it can not wow people with the glory of the skies the way that many of the other projectors can.

+Quote Post
albert
post Apr 9 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #14

Comet

Member No.: 1,147

Anybody know about the Minolta projector from Joe Hopkins Engineering in Florida on sale at ebay? It is said to have come out of the Orlando planetarium. They also have a dome....

+Quote Post
moonmagic
post Jul 9 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #15

Star

Member No.: 875

ALL- There is a GOTO EX-3 on ebay now. Don't know anything about it. mm

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Jul 9 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #16

Star

QUOTE(moonmagic @ Jul 9 2009, 05:15 PM) *
ALL- There is a GOTO EX-3 on ebay now. Don't know anything about it. mm

Well it's for local pickup only, and it's located in the Los Angeles area. I'm not interested enough to drive that far (6 or 7 hours drive from here). Maybe Owen or Charles would be interested. The motor drive apparently doesn't work (or it may just be a matter of the drive lever being disengaged). The EX-3 is an interesting thing to look at, but I am not impressed with its performance. The small Viewlex Apollo, also made by Goto (as far as I know) is a much better performing machine. I compared them side by side in a 10 ft dome, and decided that the Viewlex was the machine to keep. I never see those little Apollo machines show up for sale. The Apollo III machines show up more often.

+Quote Post
Owen Phairis
post Jul 10 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #17

Galaxy

Member No.: 487

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Jul 9 2009, 09:25 PM) *
Well it's for local pickup only, and it's located in the Los Angeles area. I'm not interested enough to drive that far (6 or 7 hours drive from here). Maybe Owen or Charles would be interested. The motor drive apparently doesn't work (or it may just be a matter of the drive lever being disengaged). The EX-3 is an interesting thing to look at, but I am not impressed with its performance. The small Viewlex Apollo, also made by Goto (as far as I know) is a much better performing machine. I compared them side by side in a 10 ft dome, and decided that the Viewlex was the machine to keep. I never see those little Apollo machines show up for sale. The Apollo III machines show up more often.

The projector seems to be missing several planet mirrors, as seeen in one of their pictures. Still, If the price is right, it might make a nice little exhibit for the Museum. It certainly is close enough for pickup, I would never consider it for use as a planetarium projector - good for static display only....

Owen -

Attached File  plnt8E.jpg ( 92.15k ) Number of downloads: 6

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jul 10 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #18

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(albert @ Apr 9 2009, 08:15 AM) *
Anybody know about the Minolta projector from Joe Hopkins Engineering in Florida on sale at ebay? It is said to have come out of the Orlando planetarium. They also have a dome....

Since Joe is retiring his prices have come down dramatically. I remember this going for around $70K not so long ago.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jul 10 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #19

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Jul 9 2009, 09:25 PM) *

I don't think very many of the Apollo's were ever made. They soon turned into the E and EX series. The 3 is for 3 meter dome. The Apollo III machines became the E5 projectors meant for a 5 meter dome.

+Quote Post
moonmagic
post Jul 10 2009, 07:49 PM
Post #20

Star

Member No.: 875

RE- Minolta MS-10 on Joe Hopkins (JHE) site (E*ay stores): FYI
That is an orignal MINOLTA (non-Viewlex) machine/from the early 70's.
Don't think it has any operating system/console with it now (JHE usually wanted to sell their "Bright-Star" operating system for an additional $8k plus (about another $8-10k) installation. (It IS a business.)
The machine saw A LOT of use from the early 70's on. Lots of light shows. Lots of fast motion use and quick motion reversals. (Liquid light shows/pre-laser shows were "THE THING" at the time.)

Would want to know condition of all motors and gears. (although Minolta products VERY well made)
Designed for a 40' dome. Don't think one could get by under a 30', but not 100% sure. (might work under a 33-35' dome if one could find one (odd size-custom dome) just that size - (need to confirm this also)
[I THINK an MS-10 could work under a 33'-43' dome, but again this would NEED to be CONFIRMED.]

Although (JHE) has brought the price down, still think it is a bit on the high side. (RW-I think the original $75k asking price INCLUDED machine, 40' dome and maybe even a new operating system.) It has been for sale for a LONG time. I think the new(?) Orlando 80' Cinedome with Digistar II (that took the MS-10's place) has been open 12+ years now. Think $5-7.5k (still WELL beyond my piggy bank!)might be more reasonable for this MS-10, again no offense to JHE or anyone...just mho.

(After all, WE collectors are about the only ones looking for traditional machines now, thus WE are helping to keep the prices of used machines up. Not meaning to offend or be negative, but something I've thought about for a while. [Always welcome others opinions and viewpoints.] Yes, I know in the marketplace that something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, yet I tend to think that every price I've been presented with (since I've been looking) is about 2x what it should be.) Perhaps, I'm just cheap! (With the costs involved with travel, labor, truck rental/shipping etc, these turn out to be expensive propositions.) I'm almost of the opinion that it should be about an even trade for the labor of removing them, again perhaps I'm still rubbing together the first two nickles I ever had.

Think the 40' dome that also came out of Orlando has been sold? [Didn't someone on this forum wind up with it for their local community project???] All I see now on the JHE site is a 20' fiberglass dome that was SADLY cut in half (horizontially)!

I reiterate, I had NO INTENTION of offending ANYONE, just for information ONLY.
mm

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 09:20 PM