IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> the we appreciate RON WALKER board, admit it - Rons the Go To GUY!
mrgare5050
post Sep 18 2007, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Gare

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

Ron Walker, you deserve your own topic - you are a force of nature, everyone on this board basically talks to YOU like planets revolving round the sun. I appreciate you because you did so much to keep HPA reviving - I'm learning heavily from those Smith and Emmons tapes you committed for all time to cd from my moldering tapes. You found me basically, and youve given me reason to go on.

Youve shown a remarkable ability to run with the engineering giants on this board and at the same time show emotional empathy for the softer side of this pursuit.

You are unique. Youre a special person Ron

I hope my colleagues will chime in, but you deserve kudos. For this forum. For your remarkable versatility and humility.

youve changed my life dude. thank you

gare
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SteveDurham
post Sep 18 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #2

Star Cluster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10

I'll chime in here.....Ron has a "tendancy" to go the extra mile for all of us.....It was very easy for me to do the same for him.

He'll tell you what a nice guy I am, I'll tell you I was simply following his lead.

I truly hope to be able to shake the man's hand someday!!

me

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Sep 18 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #3

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

Gee Whiz Guys... (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Sep 18 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #4

Gare

well you can delete this if you wish ron, i just wanted to thank you for doing so much! g

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Sep 18 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #5

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Sep 18 2007, 04:14 PM) *
well you can delete this if you wish ron, i just wanted to thank you for doing so much! g

Delete it???!!!???!!! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) NEVER!!! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Does the old ego good! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Sep 18 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #6

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Sep 19 2007, 12:32 AM) *

ok george lucas!

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Sep 18 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #7

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Sep 18 2007, 05:35 PM) *
ok george lucas!

As Caesar said to Mark Anthony, "Are Two, Dee Too, then fall Caesar! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Oct 11 2007, 04:27 AM
Post #8

Gare

mr walker the cds arrived and i havent stopped looking AT them yet to listen to them (and you got some of the film caught on dvd also?) thank yu!!!!

gare, working on a new top secret mythological constellation projector design...

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Oct 11 2007, 06:45 AM
Post #9

Gare

listened to 'alpha' in the star chamber.. NICE TRANSITIONS!!! the increased dynamic range is showing up problems with my speakers! how did you do those transitions with only 1 copy? GREAT JOB! g

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Oct 11 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Oct 11 2007, 03:27 AM) *
mr walker the cds arrived and i havent stopped looking AT them yet to listen to them (and you got some of the film caught on dvd also?) thank yu!!!!

gare, working on a new top secret mythological constellation projector design...

I can tell I'm getting old because I can't remember what I just sent you. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I don't remember sending anything on DVD yet, but could be wrong. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) No I'm fairly sure everything was audio or newsletter info.

So what's this "new top secret mythological constellation projector design"?

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Oct 11 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #11

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Oct 11 2007, 05:45 AM) *
listened to 'alpha' in the star chamber.. NICE TRANSITIONS!!! the increased dynamic range is showing up problems with my speakers! how did you do those transitions with only 1 copy? GREAT JOB! g

Imagine what I could have done with the original materials. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) There is some distortion that I believe was just part of the cassette recording medium that I couldn't get out. I'm glad it's working for you. On with the show! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Oct 12 2007, 04:30 AM
Post #12

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Oct 11 2007, 11:02 PM) *
I can tell I'm getting old because I can't remember what I just sent you. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I don't remember sending anything on DVD yet, but could be wrong. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) No I'm fairly sure everything was audio or newsletter info.

So what's this "new top secret mythological constellation projector design"?

hubert barnhardt, mysteries of mars? wasnt that the film?

anyway, im trying a further development of what you and charles suggested, when you said 'split the sky zoo'. im going to try to replicate the shadow projection technique but with individually pointable constellation projectors - ive traced the opaque constellatin patterms onto tissue paper, then transfer them to clear plastic - the plastic from the discarded sprint accessory packets appears to be working - then color in the figure, mount on a tube with a light inside. i'll have a prototype up soon and debut it in 'auxiliary projectors'. gare

+Quote Post
Owen Phairis
post Oct 12 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #13

Galaxy

Member No.: 487

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Oct 12 2007, 03:30 AM) *
hubert barnhardt, mysteries of mars? wasnt that the film?

Hubert J. Bernhard was a lecturer at the Morrison Planetarium during the 60s.
He made a series of 4 LP record albums trying to educate and popularize astronomy.

They were called: "The Planetarium Lecture Series":

1. "Life Among The Stars"
2. "The Christmas Star"
3. "The UFOs"
4. "Mysteries Of Mars"

Great series, though way out of date now... I have all four records.

To my knowlege he never made any films.. I hope I am wrong.

Owen
www.pictorialism.com
Nova III, GOTO S-2, Spitz A3P, Spitz A1

Attached File  M31bEE.jpg ( 88.5k ) Number of downloads: 3

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Oct 12 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #14

Gare

QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Oct 12 2007, 03:55 PM) *
He made a series of 4 LP record albums trying to educate and popularize astronomy.

2. "The Christmas Star"
3. "The UFOs"
4. "Mysteries Of Mars"

Owen
www.pictorialism.com

way out of date is the IDEA! the more out of date the better - but i sent ron no tapes/records of him, therefore perhaps this record was used as the sountrack for the mars film i sent? it was just this anonymous old film steve smith through in when i visited him in douglas az. but owen! we need ALL THESE for the archives digitized! g

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Oct 13 2007, 07:41 AM
Post #15

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Oct 12 2007, 08:55 AM) *

2. "The Christmas Star"
3. "The UFOs"
4. "Mysteries Of Mars"

Owen
www.pictorialism.com

Owen is quite correct. Upon reviewing old S&T issues from the 60's I had noticed the ad for the series. These have been out of print for many decades and I was curious if any were floating around. I was just on e-bay a couple of months ago and thought "what the heck" and put in a search for that series of albums. I only found the "Mysteries Of Mars" one and snatched it up. I did a bit of scratch and pop removal and then encoded it to CD. It is an audio program only.

The film Gare sent is still undergoing some rejuvenation as it was stored under "not the best of conditions". The emulsion was sticking to itself and there was a bit of "growth" on it. It looks like I will be able to salvage a good percentage of the material, but I still want to do a couple of more cleaning passes before transfer.

Hubert J. Bernhard made no film as far as I know.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Oct 13 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #16

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Oct 13 2007, 01:41 PM) *
Owen is quite correct. Upon reviewing old S&T issues from the 60's I had noticed the ad for the series. These have been out of print for many decades and I was curious if any were floating around. I was just on e-bay a couple of months ago and thought "what the heck" and put in a search for that series of albums. I only found the "Mysteries Of Mars" one and snatched it up. I did a bit of scratch and pop removal and then encoded it to CD. It is an audio program only.

The film Gare sent is still undergoing some rejuvenation as it was stored under "not the best of conditions". The emulsion was sticking to itself and there was a bit of "growth" on it. It looks like I will be able to salvage a good percentage of the material, but I still want to do a couple of more cleaning passes before transfer.

Hubert J. Bernhard made no film as far as I know.

oh YOU had the hubert bernhard, i wasnt sure where it came from, it just appeared! sweet. but now we need owens other two! (im good at volunteering other people)

the film was a longshot, but the old and curious (like us) need attention! g

+Quote Post
Owen Phairis
post Oct 13 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #17

Galaxy

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Oct 13 2007, 08:42 AM) *
oh YOU had the hubert bernhard, i wasnt sure where it came from, it just appeared! sweet. but now we need owens other two! (im good at volunteering other people)

the film was a longshot, but the old and curious (like us) need attention! g

I guess I could make copies for archival purposes.

Owen
www.pictorialism.com
Big Bear Traveling Planetarium
GOTO S-2, Spitz A1, NOVA III, SPITZ A3P

Attached File  RecordsEE.jpg ( 89.77k ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Oct 13 2007, 01:01 PM
Post #18

Gare

[quote name='Owen Phairis' date='Oct 13 2007, 06:13 PM' post='18326']

That would be wonderful Owen! The HPA archival series began as the few old cassette tapes I could muster from a couple home planetarium pioneers. we've begun to add to that slowly. It includes old thesis's etc, anything old and especially amateur oriented. My dream of course IS to get OLD OLD professional lectures preserved as well, and you well know what weve seen with books. Its kindof like you are doing with equipment, (on a vastly smaller scale), but for sound and home planetariums. Most rush into the future. We look both forward and backward dont we.

I just shudder to think what other gems are out there somewhere. gare

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Oct 13 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #19

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Oct 13 2007, 11:13 AM) *

Owen
www.pictorialism.com
Big Bear Traveling Planetarium
GOTO S-2, Spitz A1, NOVA III, SPITZ A3P
Attached File  RecordsEE.jpg ( 89.77k ) Number of downloads: 1

I would love to get a set of the three I don't have as well. If you like Owen, and if you would feel comfortable sending me the three albums, I will transfer them, clean up any bad pops and scratches and return them with CD copies of all four records.

+Quote Post
Owen Phairis
post Oct 13 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #20

Galaxy

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Oct 13 2007, 02:29 PM) *
I would love to get a set of the three I don't have as well. If you like Owen, and if you would feel comfortable sending me the three albums, I will transfer them, clean up any bad pops and scratches and return them with CD copies of all four records.

I think I made copies (tape) already. I can just pop them in the mail to you and then you can make the cds and see that Gare gets a copy, along with anyone else. I do not believe there is much that needs cleaning up, nor do I believe I have your mailing address.

Owen
Collector of Planetaria

www.pictorialism.com

Here is a picture of my 138 pound meteorite that NASA has borrowed from me a couple of times for display. Please note the blow up dome to the right and a F-104 chase plane in the background. Picture taken in a hangar at a Edwards AFB open house.

Attached File  Meteorite_018AEE.jpg ( 86.75k ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2019 - 01:06 AM