Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Planetarium locations
Ron Walker
post Jun 14 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #1

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

For those of you who would like to visit a planetarium but have no idea of where to go, there is a rather detailed compendium of theatres compiled by Loch Ness Productions. They produce programs for use within star theaters.

Just go to: http://www.lochnessproductions.com/lfco/lfco.html and look down the list of states, countries, whatever, and enter. It will give you all the information you will need to find a show near you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strgzr
post Jun 14 2006, 10:10 AM
Post #2

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13

Thank-you Ron! Thats what i needed! I am looking forward to seeing one of these systems first-hand.

+Quote Post
Dale
post Jun 14 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #3

Dust Disk

Group: Members
Member No.: 11

Wow..... they produce some really neat stuff..... and they are located a few towns over from me! I'll have to go over and check them out.

Dale

+Quote Post
NeoDinian
post Jun 14 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #4

Just a State of Mind!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12

Got this off that list:

================

Barlow Planetarium
Univ. of Wisc. - Fox Valley
1478 Midway Road
Menasha, WI 54952-1297
(920) 832-2852 office/dir
(920) 832-2674 fax
(920) 832-2848 show line
Opened 1998
UNIV/COLLEGE PUBLIC SHOWS
www.fox.uwc.edu/barlow
15m 12° tilt dome, installed 1997
Capacity 98, epicentric; annual attendance: 40000
Evans & Sutherland Digistar II installed 1997

Wisconsin's largest and most advanced planetarium. Sky-Skan SPICE and interactive system; 5.1 surround sound. Dissolving all-skies, 7-slide pans and L-C-R projectors. Public shows Thurs. - Sun, live star shows, Space Academy and special programs.

Karen M. Klamczynski, Director
Thomas E. Frantz, Director of Media Services

===========

The Director (Karen) is a very close friend of mine... We went to high school together.

Nice place she's running there. They have the latest Digistar II there.. NICE SYSTEM!!!

We had popcorn and watched Star Wars on the dome with a "Full dome starfield" as a backdrop...

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 19 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #5

Galaxy Super Cluster

It's great to have friends in domed places.

+Quote Post
jukingeo
post Dec 1 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #6

Dust Disk

Member No.: 676

Here are websites for Long Island's famous Vanderbilt Planetarium:

http://members.aol.com/liastro1/planethomepage.html

http://www.vanderbiltmuseum.org/home.php?section=planetarium

It is suprisingly not on the "lochnessproductions" web listing for planetariums.

For those coming out to the island, this is the largest planetarium on Long Island.

It has a top of the line Goto projector that projects 11,369 stars. Seating capacity is 238. Its 60 foot dome puts it in the large category.

It also has a multi-channel sound system

In the off season (Fall - Spring) they have laser light shows to rock music by Led Zep, Pink Floyd, or Aerosmith.

Looking for something bigger? No problem: The next larger planetarium is the Hayden in NYC and that has a seating capacity of 430 and sports a 69 foot dome.

Just FYI

JG

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Dec 3 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #7

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(jukingeo @ Dec 1 2007, 04:59 PM) *
Here are websites for Long Island's famous Vanderbilt Planetarium:

http://members.aol.com/liastro1/planethomepage.html

http://www.vanderbiltmuseum.org/home.php?section=planetarium

It is suprisingly not on the "lochnessproductions" web listing for planetariums.

For those coming out to the island, this is the largest planetarium on Long Island.

It has a top of the line Goto projector that projects 11,369 stars. Seating capacity is 238. Its 60 foot dome puts it in the large category.

It also has a multi-channel sound system

In the off season (Fall - Spring) they have laser light shows to rock music by Led Zep, Pink Floyd, or Aerosmith.

Looking for something bigger? No problem: The next larger planetarium is the Hayden in NYC and that has a seating capacity of 430 and sports a 69 foot dome.

Just FYI

JG

A sad note is that they are replacing that beautiful Goto soon. Not sure with what yet, but will inform as information becomes available.

+Quote Post
jukingeo
post Dec 3 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #8

Dust Disk

Member No.: 676

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Dec 3 2007, 07:14 PM) *
A sad note is that they are replacing that beautiful Goto soon. Not sure with what yet, but will inform as information becomes available.

Oooo. I didn't know that. In fact I don't know what to make of it. That projector is pretty hard to beat (up to now it has been my 'reference' projector) and I am pretty sure that they are not in a position to afford one of those new $500k Zeiss models we been talking about.

Granted that GOTO projector has been in there since the 70's so perhaps they are thinking it is time to update it. I just hope they don't make a mistake. That projector can create such a stunning skyfield.

Please give me a heads up when you have an idea of when they are going to do this. I want to go back there and see a show before they pull that projector out.

JG

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2019 - 03:56 AM