Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dan posts price of gear,motor and ring to rotate the Dome
327Bob
post May 4 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #1

Dust Disk

Group: Members
Member No.: 23

Got an e-mail today from Dan...He now has the track and gear to rotate the dome for 188 bucks
complete kit with track Gear and motor for 598... This is NOT automated to the scope this is just
to rotate the dome...

Hope he comes up with a shutter control soon....

Bob G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SteveDurham
post May 4 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #2

Star Cluster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10

Too rich for my wallet.

He also has an ad in the back of Astronomy magazine this month.

Speaking of magazines....just wondering why none of you have commented on my picture in the June issue of Sky and Tel??

+Quote Post
Gustavo Pohls
post May 4 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #3

Star

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(SteveDurham @ May 4 2007, 10:13 PM) *
Too rich for my wallet.

Speaking of magazines....just wondering why none of you have commented on my picture in the June issue of Sky and Tel??

I agree....bit pricey, specially if you consider you can have 100% automatation for less then $300

+Quote Post
327Bob
post May 4 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Dust Disk

Member No.: 23

QUOTE(SteveDurham @ May 4 2007, 05:13 PM) *
Too rich for my wallet.

==================
Never saw the picture but honestly Steve I would not comment on any UGLY pictures...LOL I will look to see if I have the June Issue....
I do not subscribe to any astronomy magazines...at this time

$198 is not bad I do not think a small electric motor should cost 400 bucks however...wonder what the shat size is and the torque rating is however.

Bob G.

+Quote Post
Strgzr
post May 4 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #5

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

Member No.: 13

QUOTE(SteveDurham @ May 4 2007, 03:13 PM) *
Too rich for my wallet.

Haven't picked up June yet. But I guess I had better get down to the store and get it! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) What page are you on?

+Quote Post
Richard B. Drumm
post May 4 2007, 06:25 PM
Post #6

Vice President, CAS

Member No.: 8

May issue is the most recent I have, "Springtime Galaxies" issue...
Rich

+Quote Post
SteveDurham
post May 5 2007, 06:11 AM
Post #7

Star Cluster

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(Strgzr @ May 4 2007, 08:16 PM) *
Haven't picked up June yet. But I guess I had better get down to the store and get it! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) What page are you on?

Try page 76...oh, I also forgot to mention the picture is of my "better side", as AdkStars put it. It is in an article that concerns David Levy....

+Quote Post
Rich
post May 30 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #8

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 224

Motorized Rotational Control for ObservaDome

Added a Brother in-line GTR gear motor that is electrically reversible. Purchased the gear motor on ebay as new for $90. The gear motor operates at 115 VAC and is electrically reversible and comes with a flange mount (see photo). I use a Deltrol Series 900 DPDT relay rated at 50 amps to perform the reverse connection. I use a remote control with a SPDT switch to control the rotation relay. I also use a second Deltrol Series 900 DPDT relay as the on/off control for the motor (however, for this application since itís a 115 VAC motor the relay can be SPST). The relays were also purchased on ebay as new for $20 each. The motor has ample torque to rotate the dome at a brisk 6 rpm (or an angular rate of 36 degrees/sec). I added indicator lights to show both rotational direction and on/off status along with a toggle switch to control the intensity of the indicator lamps as bright/dim. The relays and indicator lights were enclosed in a grey plastic electrical utility box with cover that I purchased at Home Depot. The remote control is a hand-held Army-surplus cast aluminum switch box that I re-wired for On/Off, Momentary On, and CW/CCW Rotation (total of 3 switches). The only problem with the motor I selected is that the dome rotation is a bit too fast and with the angular momentum of the dome there is some dome overrun past the point where I release the momentary contact switch which I will have to manually compensate for at this time. My plan is to eventually automate the motor control and have it synched to the scope.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  ExploraDome_Motorized_1.pdf ( 33.58k ) Number of downloads: 147
Attached File  ExploraDome_Motorized_2.pdf ( 29.84k ) Number of downloads: 109
Attached File  ExploraDome_Motorized_3.pdf ( 26.73k ) Number of downloads: 94

+Quote Post
Gustavo Pohls
post May 30 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #9

Star

Member No.: 2

Great Job!!!

My only suggestion is that 6 RPM is way too fast if you are planning to use automation in the future. The reason for this is that most automation solutions depend on external sensors that have a rather slow card refresh rate. That is why they recommend less than 1 RPM.

Look into this solution if you plan to automate in the future:

http://www.dppobservatory.net/Dome%20autom...me%20Driver.htm

+Quote Post
Mark Cislo
post Jun 13 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #10

Planetoid

Member No.: 15

Nice job Rich!

Do you see a need for any other gears installed to keep the dome centered and in contact with the drive?

+Quote Post
Rich
post Jun 14 2007, 08:47 AM
Post #11

Interstellar Medium

QUOTE(Mark Cislo @ Jun 14 2007, 06:21 AM) *
Nice job Rich!

Do you see a need for any other gears installed to keep the dome centered and in contact with the drive?

+Quote Post
Rich
post Jun 14 2007, 09:08 AM
Post #12

Interstellar Medium

There were no other gears beyond what was integral to the motor. I did add another pair of daughter springs to increase the contact tension between the exploradome track and the exploradome "hub gear". I noticed that the original set of springs didn't provide sufficient contact pressure at times when I revesed the motor direction. The second set of springs solved the problem completely. The photos I posted do not show the additional pair of springs that are achored at 45 degrees to the right and left of the motor to maintain a centered equilibrium point. Good luck in your efforts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 01:37 PM