Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spitz Model B
Ken Miller
post Jan 12 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #1

Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 106

I just got an 18 page mid 1950's sales brochure for the Spitz Model B. I think most people here know a little about the projector, but let me sumarize a little bit of the history. Before the success of their real winner, the A3P, Spitz tried to use this larger projector to complete more directly head-on with Zeiss. This large scale Model B projector had the unique feature of being suspended by cables instead the usual floor mounted framework. I hear that there were only three ever built. From the brochure I see that one of them went to Montevideo, Uruguay. I remember that someone thought that another one went to the US Air Force Academy. That leaves one machine that I don't know of.

There is a picture in the brochure of the Montevideo control panel with its spanish labeled controls.

Also pictured is a 12 inch scale model next to a picture of the 12 ft full sized projector.

The brochure has a list of all the Spitz Model A installations as of 1954 (a total of 104). 14 of those were outside the US, and 3 were owned by private individuals. I guess you could say 4 if you counted the king of Egypt.

Only one model B installation is listed in the brochure, and that is the one in Uruguay.

The Spitz factory is pictured in what appears to be an old smokestack industry brick building next to the Elk river in Maryland. They had apparently just partnered up with General Development Corporation, and that is probably an old General Development plant.

Along with the Model B brochure, I got a circa 1960 12 page A3P sales brochure. By that time they were based in Yorklyn, Delaware, and known as Spitz Laboratories, Inc (SLI).

I don't care to keep these brochures. I try to not accumulate stuff anymore. They will have to move on to a good home sometime soon.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jan 13 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #2

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Jan 12 2011, 10:23 PM) *
I just got an 18 page mid 1950's sales brochure for the Spitz Model B. I think most people here know a little about the projector, but let me sumarize a little bit of the history. Before the success of their real winner, the A3P, Spitz tried to use this larger projector to complete more directly head-on with Zeiss. This large scale Model B projector had the unique feature of being suspended by cables instead the usual floor mounted framework. I hear that there were only three ever built. From the brochure I see that one of them went to Montevideo, Uruguay. I remember that someone thought that another one went to the US Air Force Academy. That leaves one machine that I don't know of.

There is a picture in the brochure of the Montevideo control panel with its spanish labeled controls.

Also pictured is a 12 inch scale model next to a picture of the 12 ft full sized projector.

The brochure has a list of all the Spitz Model A installations as of 1954 (a total of 104). 14 of those were outside the US, and 3 were owned by private individuals. I guess you could say 4 if you counted the king of Egypt.

Only one model B installation is listed in the brochure, and that is the one in Uruguay.

The Spitz factory is pictured in what appears to be an old smokestack industry brick building next to the Elk river in Maryland. They had apparently just partnered up with General Development Corporation, and that is probably an old General Development plant.

Along with the Model B brochure, I got a circa 1960 12 page A3P sales brochure. By that time they were based in Yorklyn, Delaware, and known as Spitz Laboratories, Inc (SLI).

I don't care to keep these brochures. I try to not accumulate stuff anymore. They will have to move on to a good home sometime soon.

I believe the third one went to the Longway Planetarium in Flint Michigan.

I would also like to get copies of your brochure. If you really don't want them and will send them to me, I will scan them and put them on a disc if anyone else wants a copy.

+Quote Post
moonmagic
post Jan 13 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #3

Star

Member No.: 875

I would like to see the Spitz B brochure in any form available. I think I have a copy of the A3P brochure. Ron if you get it I would like a disc. In fact I have been promissing that I would scan in a bunch of stuff for a long time. Since I finally got Santa to get me a new printer/scanner/copier that can no longer be the excuse. I should start flooding your email. mm

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Jan 13 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Star

A lot of the Model B pamphlet is generic stuff about what it takes to plan for, finance, and build a planetarium. There are not as many details about the Model B projector itself as I would like to have seen -- just a few photos and and partial description of features. I did like the listing of all the installed Spitz planetariums as of 1954, the arial photo of the factory, and what photos that there were of the projector.

Maybe I should see if I can get a couple of hard copies and maybe a scanned copy on disk to be distribute to interested parties. If I don't get around to it quickly, I can turn that all over to Ron. First of all, I'll see if I can scan some pages and post them here.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jan 13 2011, 06:21 PM
Post #5

Gare

Member No.: 61

I try to not accumulate stuff anymore

I need lessons Ken ..

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jan 14 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #6

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jan 13 2011, 06:21 PM) *
I try to not accumulate stuff anymore

I need lessons Ken ..

Once an accumulator, always an accumulator. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jan 15 2011, 09:22 AM
Post #7

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jan 14 2011, 06:42 PM) *
Once an accumulator, always an accumulator. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Im adding that to a collection of quotes Im .. accumulating ...

+Quote Post
Kevin Arrow
post Mar 21 2013, 01:17 PM
Post #8

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 2,635

We just discovered a Spitz Model B Planetarium Star Projector salesman model in the collection of the Miami Science Museum.

Details as follows:
Spitz (model B) Planetarium Star projector model, ca 1954
Wood, metal and black paint
14 x 4 x 4 inches
Collection of the Miami Science Museum

We are looking for more information about this model.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Kevin Arrow
Art & Collection Manager
Miami Science Museum
karrow@miamisci.org
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Spitz_Model_1.jpg ( 77.79k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
chemed
post Mar 27 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #9

Comet

Member No.: 777

I would love to see Ken reply to this or anyone else who's "in the know". I do know that it's a VERY rare Spitz model.
check out this thread:
http://www.observatorycentral.com/index.php?showtopic=648

-atm

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Mar 27 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #10

Star

QUOTE(chemed @ Mar 27 2013, 12:29 PM) *
I would love to see Ken reply to this or anyone else who's "in the know". I do know that it's a VERY rare Spitz model.
check out this thread:
http://www.observatorycentral.com/index.php?showtopic=648
-atm

Ron Walker knows more about it than I do. I think there were maybe only three sites where that model of projector was installed. One was at the Air Force Academy, and one was in Montevideo. I have an advertising flier for it. I need to make copies of that to distribute to those that are interested. I also have a brochure for the Spitz A3P.

That salesman's model is really cool.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Mar 28 2013, 04:42 AM
Post #11

Gare

Can you imagine walking into somebodys office, pulling this model out of a case and asking

Now .. how many of these can I put you down for?

+Quote Post
moonmagic
post Mar 28 2013, 12:44 PM
Post #12

Star

Member No.: 875

I did respond to this guy when he first posted. I did so off line. I gave him the basic information.

The only model "B" in existence is still operating in South America.

It is now 60 years old! The model "B" predates the STP model. It was Spitz's 1st attempt at having something to compete with the bigger Zeiss machines.

Other than the one still operating in Montevideo, Uruguay, the others were at the Air Force Academy Colorado Springs and in Michagan, someone mentioned previously perhaps at the Longway Planetarium.

While I am always impressed with every make and model, I am perhaps even more impressed with what Spitz and the people he surrounded himself with were able to do in the 50's that brought planetariums to so many smaller towns and cities that would have never had them otherwise. The simplisity and cleaverness from their A-1 on up have always been a wonder to see and experience. mm

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Mar 28 2013, 03:11 PM
Post #13

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Mar 27 2013, 02:47 PM) *
Ron Walker knows more about it than I do. I think there were maybe only three sites where that model of projector was installed. One was at the Air Force Academy, and one was in Montevideo. I have an advertising flier for it. I need to make copies of that to distribute to those that are interested. I also have a brochure for the Spitz A3P.

That salesman's model is really cool.

I would love to get a copy of any and all info that you may have. Actually I never knew they made a small model like this. The one in Montevideo is the only one still working as an entire projector. From what we have found, the star globes from the Air Force Academy projector are used on Brent's projector from the New York Disco.

While I know nothing of the mini sales model, I do have a working knowledge of the mechanics of the machine which used timing belts rather then gears for the planet projectors.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 09:53 PM