IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> State of the Art Planetariiums, Todays Monsters of the Midway!!
mrgare5050
post Sep 11 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #1

Gare

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

It occurred to me that never in my life had I been to the current Zeiss website! I read with shock and awe of the three opto-models they have there, all with fiber optic technology .. note the interesting features of their middle model the Starmaster, which can do the midnight sun! now, wheres my checkbook .... gare

STARMASTER Models ZMP and ZMP-TD More information

Medium-sized planetarium sets standards
STARMASTER combines the benefits of the dumbbell design with the state-of-the-art starball concept. The projectors responsible for the fixed stars are located on a central projector sphere - the starball. The planet projectors installed in front of it can be controlled individually and independently of each other.

The extremely bright and brilliant artificial starlit sky is made possible by fiber-optical projectors, a special development of Carl Zeiss. Stars, Sun and Moon are as bright to install the Starball in domes even larger than 18 m in diameter. The traditional division into 32 star fields has been abandoned in favor of a smaller number of projectors. With 12 powerful wide-angle lenses, the starball now offers more space for other projectors, for example for constellation outlines.
Another novelty is the integration of the Sun and Moon projectors in the starball. This permits the midnight sun to be demonstrated for the first time without obstructions in the north or south.
However STARMASTER offers a lot more. Further options include spaceflights through the solar system, following the Star of Bethlehem, solar eclipses in the next millennium and many others.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
charles jones
post Sep 12 2007, 03:54 AM
Post #2

Planetoid

Member No.: 503

Yes, I have seen the website as well.

It is still fun to be content, for us home planetarium freaks, with the old Spitz projectors which are available for a bargain. I wonder how it will be 50 years from now for someone like us to purchase one of the "old Zeiss with fibre optics" projectors circa 2007 from Ebay. This when the technology gives way to 3-D, lasers. That'll be a bargain! I'll save writing a check for one of the old Zeiss' from 2007.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Sep 12 2007, 04:40 AM
Post #3

Gare

QUOTE(charles jones @ Sep 12 2007, 09:54 AM) *
Yes, I have seen the website as well.

It is still fun to be content, for us home planetarium freaks, with the old Spitz projectors which are available for a bargain. I wonder how it will be 50 years from now for someone like us to purchase one of the "old Zeiss with fibre optics" projectors circa 2007 from Ebay. This when the technology gives way to 3-D, lasers. That'll be a bargain! I'll save writing a check for one of the old Zeiss' from 2007.

good thought charles, where DO old zeiss's go to die? some of them are on display weve seen

i just love reading about how they do things, i love reading how they 'randomly scintillate' (twinkle) the bright stars, and star colors with fiber optics are achieved not by filters but by DYEING the fiber optic! maybe we can start using hair coloring on our projectors, as well as anywhere else that needs it! gare, who may have to buy a pair of zeiss binoculars JUST to get that logo!

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Sep 12 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #4

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

Old Ziess'es don't die, they just fade away. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) I'd really love one, but where would you put it? It is basically twice the height of a tall man! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Over 12 feet long is quite large indeed. Actually it would make an interesting thread to post pictures of the various projectors with people in them for a true perspective of size.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Sep 19 2007, 05:00 AM
Post #5

Gare

look at this, the roof is going on the sudekum planetarium here in nash, you may remember im vaguely acquainted with the directer chriss mccall, who had invited me to the announcment with the mayor. its to be a 60 foot dome with digi-something projection.. but you know, this is fueling my dreams of something even bigger, a pyramid roof ... looks simple...

Attached File  pyramid.jpg ( 76.93k ) Number of downloads: 2

+Quote Post
Owen Phairis
post Nov 7 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #6

Galaxy

Member No.: 487

GOOD NEWS!

Griffith Observatory and Planetarium is now open with out reservations.
Due to the reconstruction and increased attendance, reservations were required and one needed to park off site and pay for a bus ride to the planetarium. No longer the case, attendance is down and one may now drive up to the parking lot. Admission to the building is free, as always, but there is a charge for the planetarium show. Closed Mondays.
More information at: www.griffithobs.org

The planetarium is the finest in the world, it has a new Spitz dome, a 300 seat theatre, and a minimumn of 8 to 10 planetarium shows daily. The modified Zeiss Universarium Mark IX is complemented with a 2 laser video projection system to make the shows truly out of this world!

Thought you might be interested.....

Owen
Spitz A1, Spitz A3-P, Nova III, GOTO S-2
www.pictorialism.com

Attached File  Griffithobs.jpg ( 83.9k ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Nov 8 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #7

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Nov 7 2007, 06:08 PM) *
GOOD NEWS!

Griffith Observatory and Planetarium is now open with out reservations.
Due to the reconstruction and increased attendance, reservations were required and one needed to park off site and pay for a bus ride to the planetarium. No longer the case, attendance is down and one may now drive up to the parking lot. Admission to the building is free, as always, but there is a charge for the planetarium show. Closed Mondays.
More information at: www.griffithobs.org

The planetarium is the finest in the world, it has a new Spitz dome, a 300 seat theatre, and a minimumn of 8 to 10 planetarium shows daily. The modified Zeiss Universarium Mark IX is complemented with a 2 laser video projection system to make the shows truly out of this world!

Thought you might be interested.....

Owen
Spitz A1, Spitz A3-P, Nova III, GOTO S-2
www.pictorialism.com

Attached File  Griffithobs.jpg ( 83.9k ) Number of downloads: 1

YA-HOO!!! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I've been wondering when this would happen as I'm not exactly next door and would hate to come over and not get a place to park. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

How many people on this side of the continent (or anywhere for that matter) want to go over and see the show to end all shows?

Zeiss will always be Zeiss.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Nov 8 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #8

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Sep 19 2007, 04:00 AM) *
look at this, the roof is going on the sudekum planetarium here in nash, you may remember im vaguely acquainted with the directer chriss mccall, who had invited me to the announcment with the mayor. its to be a 60 foot dome with digi-something projection.. but you know, this is fueling my dreams of something even bigger, a pyramid roof ... looks simple...
Attached File  pyramid.jpg ( 76.93k ) Number of downloads: 2

It appears that there is a lot of wasted space up near the top. It would be much too high for restrictions in my town and I'm sure would generate a lot of bad will for me anyway. When I do this, I'll have to match the rest of the house a little anyway.

+Quote Post
charles jones
post Nov 9 2007, 02:39 AM
Post #9

Planetoid

I live 40 minutes from Griffith and haven't been up there yet because of the reservations thing. You had to buy bus tickets ahead of time, but there was no guarantee you'd get into a planetarium show.

I'll be anxious to go as I spent many hours up there as a kid.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Nov 9 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #10

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(charles jones @ Nov 9 2007, 01:39 AM) *
I live 40 minutes from Griffith and haven't been up there yet because of the reservations thing. You had to buy bus tickets ahead of time, but there was no guarantee you'd get into a planetarium show.

I'll be anxious to go as I spent many hours up there as a kid.

We should pick a time and go as a group. Should be even more fun that way.

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Nov 17 2007, 08:41 AM
Post #11

Star

Member No.: 106

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Nov 9 2007, 10:46 AM) *
We should pick a time and go as a group. Should be even more fun that way.

I might be tempted to fly down and join you!

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Nov 17 2007, 10:47 AM
Post #12

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Nov 17 2007, 07:41 AM) *
I might be tempted to fly down and join you!

I think it would be great fun for all involved and a chance to meet. I'd also like to tour "Owen's World" as well.

+Quote Post
Owen Phairis
post Nov 17 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #13

Galaxy

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Nov 17 2007, 09:47 AM) *
I think it would be great fun for all involved and a chance to meet. I'd also like to tour "Owen's World" as well.

Everyone is welcome to tour "Owen's World" when in the area. I am about 2.5 hours from Griffith Observatory and would look forward to meeting all of you down there. My understanding is that they kept most of the old exhibits and added a host of new ones. Although you may be dissapointed in my world, I do not believe we will be dissapointed at the Griffith Planetarium.

Thanks,
Owen

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Nov 17 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #14

Star

QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Nov 17 2007, 11:55 AM) *
Everyone is welcome to tour "Owen's World" when in the area. I am about 2.5 hours from Griffith Observatory and would look forward to meeting all of you down there. My understanding is that they kept most of the old exhibits and added a host of new ones. Although you may be dissapointed in my world, I do not believe we will be dissapointed at the Griffith Planetarium.

Thanks,
Owen

I can only speak for myself, but There is no way I would be dissapointed in seeing the stuff you have. To make my case here is exhibit one: Attached File  stuff1.jpg ( 94.81k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Nov 17 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #15

Star

Exhibit 2: Attached File  stuff6.jpg ( 92.15k ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
Ken Miller
post Nov 17 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #16

Star

Exhibit 3: Attached File  stuff2.jpg ( 97.67k ) Number of downloads: 1

I could add a lot more, but this should be enough to give you the idea.

+Quote Post
Owen Phairis
post Nov 17 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #17

Galaxy

QUOTE(Ken Miller @ Nov 17 2007, 02:03 PM) *
I can only speak for myself, but There is no way I would be dissapointed in seeing the stuff you have. To make my case here is exhibit one: Attached File  stuff1.jpg ( 94.81k ) Number of downloads: 0

Wow! It looks like home.....
Seems like I should be coming to visit you.
Very impressive!!

Owen

+Quote Post
charles jones
post Nov 18 2007, 05:13 AM
Post #18

Planetoid

It would be fun to get together here in LA to see Griffith. This of course is my backyard and is no effort for me, more for Ron or Ken to travel 400 miles.

Only problem I am, on occasion, out of the area traveling performing shows.

But I am certainly up for at least the four of us meeting and getting together to see Griffith. The next few months are really open for me. But it might be the wrong time of year to get up to Big Bear if there is snow.

Ken and Ron really need to get together (because of distance involved) to see if it is feasible and when.

Charles

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Nov 18 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #19

Galaxy Super Cluster

You guys all have great collections. I'm beginning to think that I need to get some kind of electrical apparatus! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My wife's sister lives in Apple Valley which is fairly close to Big Bear Lake (I believe). Whenever we do this I will probably make it my base of operations. Perhaps Owen and I could drive down together.

Charles, when will you be back home?

+Quote Post
charles jones
post Nov 18 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #20

Planetoid

Yes, Apple Valley is north of Big Bear. Although they might be 45 min. apart. Not sure.

I am at the other side of Los Angeles in the beginning of Ventura County in Simi Valley. I'm about 2 hrs. away from Apple Valley, but only about 45 min. away from Griffith if there's no traffic.

I get home December 17th.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 09:00 PM