Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Astro Dome Model 5100
dhammett
post Feb 17 2014, 09:32 AM
Post #1

Interstellar Medium

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,872

I'm new here so sorry if I mess this up (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) My father recently passed away and taught astronomy at a high school in my home town. Some of my fondest memories were playing at the high school planetarium after school as a child, barely able to reach the controls.

He had an old Astro Dome Model 5100 planetarium projector he kept at home that I can't find any information on. We are selling a lot of his stuff and I would hate for someone to buy it just for the scrap metal if it's desirable to a collector. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attached File  AstroDome1.jpg ( 35.26k ) Number of downloads: 8

Attached File  AstroDome2.jpg ( 47.41k ) Number of downloads: 4
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SteveDurham
post Feb 17 2014, 11:15 AM
Post #2

Star Cluster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10

WOW....hang in there, there is sure to be someone thaat will advise you. I'd love to have it but I am afraid it might be out of the realm of financial possibilities for me.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Feb 17 2014, 03:06 PM
Post #3

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

This is a Goto E-5 projector which was distributed in the US for a while by Astro Dome. It is still manufactured today by Goto and goes for something like $25K new. It is hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like it would need a total rebuild.

I note that the Milky Way projector appears to be missing (it goes in that small ring on the left side of the star ball). As an "as-is" used machine it is hard to tell what it would sell for. Anything from$0 to $5K would be my guess. Basically it would depend on what the market and demand at the time would support. There was a gentlemen from India looking for a machine but shipping it could be a problem. I'm also not at all sure if he would want to tackle the reconstruction job.

The positive thing is that like all Goto projectors, it is built like a tank, and with some TLC it should work perfectly once again.

If you want to sell it, I could move this post over to the sales thread and you could either ask for offers or put a price on it. Just remember that shipping could be a problem. You could also E-bay it but might not get much of a bid.

Certainly do not turn it into scrap metal as I doubt it would bring much that way.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Feb 17 2014, 03:14 PM
Post #4

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

That fellow could be found here: http://www.observatorycentral.com/index.ph...amp;#entry53617

+Quote Post
alfaromeo
post Mar 7 2014, 11:02 AM
Post #5

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 2,821

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Feb 18 2014, 02:44 AM) *

hi ron,
thanks
can you give me contact of person those having E5

+Quote Post
alfaromeo
post Mar 7 2014, 11:06 AM
Post #6

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 2,821

QUOTE(dhammett @ Feb 17 2014, 09:02 PM) *
I'm new here so sorry if I mess this up (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) My father recently passed away and taught astronomy at a high school in my home town. Some of my fondest memories were playing at the high school planetarium after school as a child, barely able to reach the controls.

He had an old Astro Dome Model 5100 planetarium projector he kept at home that I can't find any information on. We are selling a lot of his stuff and I would hate for someone to buy it just for the scrap metal if it's desirable to a collector. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attached File  AstroDome1.jpg ( 35.26k ) Number of downloads: 8

Attached File  AstroDome2.jpg ( 47.41k ) Number of downloads: 4

hi,
ron is talking about me
and can you give me some idea about price and what is your location, and can you estimate weight of projector and can you find all attachment (Parts)of same

you can mail me on pawannaren@yahoo.co.uk or ceo.chandra@gmail.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 05:58 AM