Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zeiss model II bronze statue, The Franklin Institute
Ron Walker
post Jul 24 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #41

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

i would tend to doubt that they would actually oil the gears. That would be a great way to attract dust and clog things up. All of the shafts are in ball bearing supports and the shafts move so slow that there would be no need for oil. My guess, a publicity shot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kaplanski
post Jul 24 2018, 04:39 PM
Post #42

Interstellar Medium

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,738

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jul 24 2018, 06:23 PM) *
i would tend to doubt that they would actually oil the gears. That would be a great way to attract dust and clog things up. All of the shafts are in ball bearing supports and the shafts move so slow that there would be no need for oil. My guess, a publicity shot.

Ron:

Thanks for clearing that up.

It did also seen strange that the guy was wearing a suit and tie.

+Quote Post
Kaplanski
post Jul 24 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #43

Interstellar Medium

QUOTE(moonmagic @ Jul 24 2018, 02:13 PM) *
I don't recall what part of the country you are located, but unless I have forgotten a location, I think the only 2 "traditional" Zeiss projectors remaining in use are at the Fernbank Science Center in Atlanta and the Strasenburg in Rochester NY.

I was a bit worried when Atlanta announced they were going to "go digital" several years back but if I also recall correctly they decided to retain their big Zeiss and use both. The last time I was there they still had circular seating for 500 people under a 70' dome. The one is Atlanta is the largest planetarium operated by a School system, for that matter the entire Science Center there is owned by the DeKalb County School System and the planetarium named for a formed School official, Jim Cherry.

(I think Fernbank has a Zeiss IV while Rochester has the model V. I may have to revise this post when I check their respective websites. HAVE I FORGOTTEN ANY OTHER LOCATIONS with the "traditional dumb-bell" Zeiss projectors in the USA still in use? (Non single Star-balls like the Zeiss IX's)?
Meanwhile, several locations have retained all or portions of their original machines on "static display." I think you can still see the entire machine at Griffith in LA and Buhl's model II in Pittsburgh? Portions of the original are on display at Chapel Hill . The one currently in use at Fernbank may be their 2nd model, as they may have had a Model III before their current V? Rochester's machine is their original and will be 50 years old perhaps this next year. mm

MM

I'm in northern Virginia.

Thanks for the information on the status of the remaining Zeiss projectors.

I grew up in the Bronx, so my introduction to planetariums was at the Hayden.

Back when my wife and I were dating (she was living in Chapel Hill at the time) we used to go to the Morehead planetarium a lot.

It's sad that most of these machines have been decommissioned. As a kid, seeing the projector was a major part of the experience of seeing a star show.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jul 24 2018, 06:47 PM
Post #44

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(Kaplanski @ Jul 24 2018, 02:44 PM) *
Ron:

In researching the model I ran across some photos of the Minolta and it really does look similar in many ways.

It must be nice to work with the actual hardware. I'll have to satisfy myself with scale model:)

So is this just a publicity shot, or is this guy actually oiling the gears in the planet cage on this Ziess?

Also I wonder about some of the rather large projectors added to the machine. Especially the one on the north star globe.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jul 24 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #45

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(Kaplanski @ Jul 24 2018, 04:11 PM) *
MM

I'm in northern Virginia.

Thanks for the information on the status of the remaining Zeiss projectors.

I grew up in the Bronx, so my introduction to planetariums was at the Hayden.

Back when my wife and I were dating (she was living in Chapel Hill at the time) we used to go to the Morehead planetarium a lot.

It's sad that most of these machines have been decommissioned. As a kid, seeing the projector was a major part of the experience of seeing a star show.

I couldn't agree more, the projector is part of the show. A most impressive part of the program.

+Quote Post
Kaplanski
post Apr 19 2019, 12:58 PM
Post #46

Interstellar Medium

It's been a while.

I wanted to post this update on my Zeiss model II planetarium model project.

I've created a smaller model (2/3 the size of the first one I did).

With the smaller size, I was able to incorporate a more realistic base (on the larger model it would have been prohibitively large/expensive to 3d print).
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_0487.JPG ( 169.15k ) Number of downloads: 1
Attached File  IMG_0656_2.5.jpg ( 206.18k ) Number of downloads: 1

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Apr 19 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #47

Galaxy Super Cluster

Both are fantastic but I'm not at all sure which one I like best. On one hand I really like the more complete support structure, but the size of the original one is even more impressive. I congratulate you on both! Spectacular work!!!

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Apr 19 2019, 05:08 PM
Post #48

Galaxy Super Cluster

I find your avatar most intriguing. Did that image come from a patent application or is it an original sketch?

+Quote Post
Kaplanski
post Apr 19 2019, 05:10 PM
Post #49

Interstellar Medium

Thanks Ron!

Yea, I kind of like the big one too, but it cost's almost double what the small one does, to print.

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Apr 19 2019, 07:03 PM) *
Both are fantastic but I'm not at all sure which one I like best. On one hand I really like the more complete support structure, but the size of the original one is even more impressive. I congratulate you on both! Spectacular work!!!

+Quote Post
Kaplanski
post Apr 19 2019, 06:03 PM
Post #50

Interstellar Medium

Ron:

That's a drawing I did in art school back in 1978.

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Apr 19 2019, 07:08 PM) *
I find your avatar most intriguing. Did that image come from a patent application or is it an original sketch?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Import271.jpg ( 377.55k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Apr 20 2019, 10:49 AM
Post #51

Galaxy Super Cluster

Very nice. I note what appears to be single star projection stalks from both star balls for (I would imagine) the first magnitude stars. I often wondered why Zeiss did not go in that direction rather then separate projectors on the ruff's just below the star balls. I know that they mechanized some of these projectors so that one could project the actual movement of the individual stars of the Big Dipper over thousands of years so that is probably the reason.

Also interesting that your fascination with these machines dates back to the 70's and probably before. I would love to hear your story of your first encounter with a planetarium. You can put it here: http://www.observatorycentral.com/index.ph...c=605&st=20

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 06:21 AM