Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arcane Constellation Facts, Someone Might Want to Know
mrgare5050
post Feb 16 2014, 07:32 AM
Post #21

Gare

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

whatttt how long have I been asleep .. since Nov of 2012? well we can fix that!

lessee

as Ron finishes his dome pergatory, and I reenter it for the 3rd time or so, what did ancient peoples think of the vault overhead?

some saw the vault of sky as a liquid, upon which stars glided like ships on a tranquil sea. this is traceable perhaps to legends of birds that knew their way to the higher ocean. indeed, Magellan knew that he was nearing the Pacific at last when his crew began seeing strange new seabirds in the skies as they painstakingly made their way through the straits that now bear their name. other cultures saw a canopy, a cupola, a bell, an upturned cup, or even an umbrella or parasol rotating about its handle.

its cool to think that each of these models COULD be used in a home planetarium! domes can take an infinite number of forms maybe - so much trouble to support the infinitely small push of star pinpoints . its a paradox is it not - a solid surface that appears liquid .. or infinite.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Feb 16 2014, 05:00 PM
Post #22

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

What....they saw all that and never saw a geodesic shape...bah, humbug...I'll fix that!

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Feb 17 2014, 06:43 AM
Post #23

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Feb 16 2014, 11:00 PM) *
What....they saw all that and never saw a geodesic shape...bah, humbug...I'll fix that!

AND RW, you have the perfect lead in for the Summer Triangle, since this is your shape-of-choice ... BUT... this title is not the best title .. for down under, it is visible in winter and called the Northern Triangle, to be more universal about it!

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jul 13 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #24

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Feb 17 2014, 05:43 AM) *
AND RW, you have the perfect lead in for the Summer Triangle, since this is your shape-of-choice ... BUT... this title is not the best title .. for down under, it is visible in winter and called the Northern Triangle, to be more universal about it!

I guess I missed this. It is interesting to call it "the northern triangle" as indeed is is seen in winter from way down south. I am just beginning to get my next show "The Stars of Summer" and/or "The Constellations of Summer" ready (it is sad that I can't name it something simple like "The Sizzling Sumner Skies Summer Star Show" or Tssssss..... for short). Oh well, on to writing and making more constellation projectors.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jul 14 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #25

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jul 13 2014, 09:55 PM) *
I guess I missed this. It is interesting to call it "the northern triangle" as indeed is is seen in winter from way down south. I am just beginning to get my next show "The Stars of Summer" and/or "The Constellations of Summer" ready (it is sad that I can't name it something simple like "The Sizzling Sumner Skies Summer Star Show" or Tssssss..... for short). Oh well, on to writing and making more constellation projectors.

i might go with that!

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jan 8 2015, 06:28 AM
Post #26

Gare

I got this new The Night Sky DVD series from The Great Courses, and they were covering the Big Dipper. It was also called THE WAIN, and they had this charming picture of the dipper handle being the yoke of the wagon, and then they put wheels on the bowl stars. Wasnt it also Charles Wain? John Wain?

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jan 8 2015, 11:26 AM
Post #27

Galaxy Super Cluster

Yes, I like that as well. As much material as one can find will help for the various shows.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Feb 19 2015, 06:44 AM
Post #28

Gare

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jan 8 2015, 12:28 PM) *
I got this new The Night Sky DVD series from The Great Courses, and they were covering the Big Dipper. It was also called THE WAIN, and they had this charming picture of the dipper handle being the yoke of the wagon, and then they put wheels on the bowl stars. Wasnt it also Charles Wain? John Wain?

Followup on this one, Charles Wain was originally a shortening version of Charlemagne - but later courtiers for King Charles I and II borrowed it. We call it arcane, but really this is prominent right in the definition of 'wain', which is a farm cart

Wain - Merriam-Webster.com
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wain
Merriam‑Webster
a usually large and heavy vehicle for farm use <a hay wain>. 2. capitalized [short for Charles's Wain] : big dipper.

Im getting back more into the poetry of the stars, so heres a related selection

Those bright starres, which English Shepheards, Charles his waine, do name
(Sir John Davies, poet of the Elizabethan age)

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Feb 19 2015, 10:13 AM
Post #29

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Feb 19 2015, 05:44 AM) *
Followup on this one, Charles Wain was originally a shortening version of Charlemagne - but later courtiers for King Charles I and II borrowed it. We call it arcane, but really this is prominent right in the definition of 'wain', which is a farm cart

Wain - Merriam-Webster.com
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wain
Merriam‑Webster
a usually large and heavy vehicle for farm use <a hay wain>. 2. capitalized [short for Charles's Wain] : big dipper.

Im getting back more into the poetry of the stars, so heres a related selection

Those bright starres, which English Shepheards, Charles his waine, do name
(Sir John Davies, poet of the Elizabethan age)

Charles's Wain,
The Plow,
The Saucepan,
The Drinking Gourd,
The Big Dipper.

There are probably a lot more. Right now it appears to be dumping a lot of really nasty cold and ice on you guys on the entire east coast. Hope everything is going OK for you all. It looks lake another and ever worse blast for this weeknd.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Feb 21 2015, 08:08 AM
Post #30

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Feb 19 2015, 04:13 PM) *
Charles's Wain,
The Plow,
The Saucepan,
The Drinking Gourd,
The Big Dipper.

There are probably a lot more. Right now it appears to be dumping a lot of really nasty cold and ice on you guys on the entire east coast. Hope everything is going OK for you all. It looks lake another and ever worse blast for this weeknd.

------------------------------
ice? what ice?
Attached File  outthewindow.JPG ( 43.55k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Feb 21 2015, 10:20 AM
Post #31

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Feb 21 2015, 07:08 AM) *
------------------------------
ice? what ice?
Attached File  outthewindow.JPG ( 43.55k ) Number of downloads: 0

Like I've said before, "I'll take 110 in the shade in the summer over what you have now. High in the mid 70's today.

+Quote Post
moonmagic
post Feb 21 2015, 09:30 PM
Post #32

Star

Member No.: 875

That could be an type of "ice dam" or just "damned ice." Either way, I have NO use for it. mm

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Feb 22 2015, 10:57 AM
Post #33

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(moonmagic @ Feb 21 2015, 08:30 PM) *
That could be an type of "ice dam" or just "damned ice." Either way, I have NO use for it. mm

Ice is OK in a glass with the proper fluids poured over.

+Quote Post
moonmagic
post Feb 25 2015, 04:44 PM
Post #34

Star

Member No.: 875

SOLID point! mm

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Apr 28 2015, 04:44 AM
Post #35

Gare

Sirius, now westering rapidly in our spring skies, is generally known as what .. a blue star? yet it is actually famous in history for its many colors - scintillating, and was thought by some to be more reddish centuries ago. the ancient arabics gave it the name Barakish, meaning Of A Thousand Colors. Sirius is over 9 times brighter than the standard first magnitude star Altair ....

the fiery Sirius alters hue
and bickers into red and emerald

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Aug 11 2015, 07:17 AM
Post #36

Gare

Those disrupters of the constellations, PLANETS, dont twinkle.

but WHY dont they twinkle like stars? reflected light ... I always said .. but NO...

what does reflected light MEAN. it means, a planet is NOT a point source of light like the unbelievably thin cones of light that the stars represent. a planets light is WAY FATTER .. therefore way less easily disrupted by our atmosphere.

think how thin starlight must be.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Aug 11 2015, 12:27 PM
Post #37

Galaxy Super Cluster

And how far away to look so small,
Considering the Sun's an average size,
But yet their light comes from afar,
So we can see them as a star.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Aug 12 2015, 02:39 AM
Post #38

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Aug 11 2015, 06:27 PM) *
And how far away to look so small,
Considering the Sun's an average size,
But yet their light comes from afar,
So we can see them as a star.

exactly! as kids we used to shine a flashlight up into the sky. lets see, if I did that when i was 10, 52 years ago, that light is 52 x 186,000 plus miles per second away now. wonder where that has taken those photons? we've talked about this, right, that you could see dinosaurs if you could go out far enough and magnify the light!

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Aug 12 2015, 01:20 PM
Post #39

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Aug 12 2015, 01:39 AM) *
exactly! as kids we used to shine a flashlight up into the sky. lets see, if I did that when i was 10, 52 years ago, that light is 52 x 186,000 plus miles per second away now. wonder where that has taken those photons? we've talked about this, right, that you could see dinosaurs if you could go out far enough and magnify the light!

Well that would be 52 light years out. The problem is how much the light would have scattered (or diverged) to be even noticeable any longer. Ever wonder if your flashlight beam could ever cause a butterfly effect out in the universe and bring doom to us all?

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Sep 25 2016, 10:45 AM
Post #40

Gare

So I recorded this show portion, and I made a mistake and called Corvus .. Corvus the Crew .. instead of Corvus the Crow - but I think I'll leave it in - 1) it sounds like Corvus the CRUE, like Motley Crue the band ... also, it sounds like Corvus is the member of a motley crew, a 'motley' being the original uniform worn by the court jester - and a motley crew being a loose association of poorly related people - indeed the legend of Corvus has a snake, a cup, and a crow - an unlikely assortment. so i also bought one of those dollar Halloween Crows to become the official mascot of my institution. because. heres the legend and a picture

the legend of Corvus is that a crow stopped on his way to fetch water for Apollo, in order to eat figs. Instead of telling the truth to Apollo, he lied and said that a snake, Hydra, kept him from the water, while holding a snake in his talons as proof. Apollo saw this to be a lie, however, and flung the crow (Corvus), cup (Crater), and the snake (Hydra) into the sky. He further punished the wayward bird by making sure that it would forever be thirsty, both in real life and in the heavens, where the Cup is barely out of reach.
Attached File  corvus.JPG ( 39.2k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2019 - 12:25 AM