Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Painting a steel pier
soktober
post Feb 2 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #1

Interstellar Medium

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,208

I need some advice about painting and protecting a pier I am constructing. I would like to weatherproof and apply a glossy paint to a steel pier. Is it best to apply a primer coat first (Kiltz?) followed by what kind of paint?

I'd also like it t match as close to the Meade Blue. Does anyone know what color that is?

Thank you,

--kelly

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NeoDinian
post Feb 2 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Just a State of Mind!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12

Personally, I would take it to someplace to get it Powder-coated. That would give you the best finish and shine you can get... (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
flyboyjohn
post Feb 3 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #3

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 1,201

Sir, according to my research, Meade blue is "REGAL BLUE 1909 from Krylon "
I've painted several piers and the thing that I've learned the hard way is to make sure all your welds and all other surfaces are perfectly smooth. They"re like painting a car, a couple of primer coats, sand the surface and paint again. The pier I built for myself was Painted a " hammered metal Blue " and it came out great. I've talked to a couple of guys that took their piers to a local auto paint shop and had them painted. I'm not realy sure but I've heard powder coating was kind of exensive.

John

+Quote Post
Magic Man (Merli...
post Feb 3 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #4

Dust Disk

Member No.: 6

I have made three piers and have painted everyone of them with rubber undercoat for cars. It is paint-able over the top if you would like a different color but I found I liked the black semi gloss. The rubber also took some of the ring out of the pier and protected eye pieces from bumps and bruises. I have had no problems with rust or peeling, just make sure you dry it under heavy infrared lights to help it cure faster. Check the photo section for my last pier.

+Quote Post
soktober
post Feb 4 2009, 08:21 AM
Post #5

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 1,208

Sounds good, thanks!

QUOTE(Magic Man (Merlin Raymond @ Feb 3 2009, 11:15 PM) *
I have made three piers and have painted everyone of them with rubber undercoat for cars. It is paint-able over the top if you would like a different color but I found I liked the black semi gloss. The rubber also took some of the ring out of the pier and protected eye pieces from bumps and bruises. I have had no problems with rust or peeling, just make sure you dry it under heavy infrared lights to help it cure faster. Check the photo section for my last pier.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 01:31 PM