IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official Sign Up for the 2020 APC, March 24th, 25th, and 26th.
Ron Walker
post Apr 23 2019, 03:03 PM
Post #1

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

APC = Amateur Planetariums Confab.

Here is a place to officially sign up for attendance at this get together at the Star Barn in Cave Creek Arizona on March, Tues, Wed, Thurs the 24th, 25th, and 26th 2020. Follow your name by a % chance of attendance. This can change as we get closer to the dates in question.

Ron Walker_____100% Basic host and look at my efforts in home planetariums.
MoonMagic______60%
Sir Gare_______100%
B.J. Sullivan____100% Tour of planetarium and laser projectors.
Bryan Sailors___100% Tour of all dome digital system replacing his original Spitz A-4.
Andy Stargazer_100%
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Apr 30 2019, 10:44 AM
Post #2

Galaxy Super Cluster

I thought at least Sir Gare would be signing up as he actually picked the dates. Remember you can put any percentage and change it at any time. I'm feeling very lonely here.

+Quote Post
moonmagic
post May 2 2019, 01:26 AM
Post #3

Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 875

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Apr 30 2019, 10:44 AM) *
I thought at least Sir Gare would be signing up as he actually picked the dates. Remember you can put any percentage and change it at any time. I'm feeling very lonely here.

Sorry Ron, I've been in yet another 14 day "marathon." schedule. (I just posted something on the HPA area). I don't see any posts from Sir Gare since early to mid April. (Vacation/travel time?)

Meanwhile, put me down at this point for a 60% chance. mm

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post May 2 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #4

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(moonmagic @ May 2 2019, 12:26 AM) *
Sorry Ron, I've been in yet another 14 day "marathon." schedule. (I just posted something on the HPA area). I don't see any posts from Sir Gare since early to mid April. (Vacation/travel time?)

Meanwhile, put me down at this point for a 60% chance. mm

Thank You MM. You are listed above. Yes, Sir Gare went dormant. Not at all sure what he's doing.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 22 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #5

Gare

Member No.: 61

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ May 2 2019, 05:34 PM) *
Thank You MM. You are listed above. Yes, Sir Gare went dormant. Not at all sure what he's doing.

I thought that said I went doormat. The dates are ON ON ON baby. whatever they were. I want to drive Bob....

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 22 2019, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 22 2019, 03:25 PM) *
I thought that said I went doormat. The dates are ON ON ON baby. whatever they were. I want to drive Bob....

I shall put you down for 100%.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 23 2019, 06:31 AM
Post #7

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jun 23 2019, 01:45 AM) *
I shall put you down for 100%.

what day was the ring destroyed again? we picked that didnt we (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) by the way, i stepped in the Eagle and Child pub, Tolkiens famous haunt in Oxford - Ive got pictures

yeah. 100 percent chance of gare. like the weather report!

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 23 2019, 09:36 AM
Post #8

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 23 2019, 05:31 AM) *
what day was the ring destroyed again? we picked that didnt we (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) by the way, i stepped in the Eagle and Child pub, Tolkiens famous haunt in Oxford - Ive got pictures

yeah. 100 percent chance of gare. like the weather report!

The 25th I believe.

I need at least one person at 100% other then myself or it surely won't happen.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 24 2019, 04:01 PM
Post #9

Galaxy Super Cluster

Direct from his rejuvenating vacation, Sir. Gare is indeed jumping in with both feet. My core development team by gum. I will take his points one by one and anyone can jump in anytime.

We need a flyer, something visual maybe. I need to show something to my wife anyway so i can get on the 2020 planning calendar. Ive also got those other people i need to visit to line up, the earlier the better, this will be my one swing west like this years one trip to London/Paris, i wont get a second chance probably. After 2020 we start planning our 50th wedding anniversery cruise around Italy - these big trips have to be scheduled wayyy in advance!

I will come up with something but it really isn't necessary unless necessary to convince others that it is real. Anyone truly interested in this get together would certainly probably be a member of this forum and probably read the posts as they are posted. I will however agree with Sir. Gare as to the requirement of scheduling early as there are things to line up and get in order.

You have your local group of Arizona Misfits I read about somewhere to line up anyway.

They have been added to the attendees and will give demonstrations of there various endeavors. You might also consider a visit to Owens projector museum in California. It is a six hour trip from where I am but worth putting in the mix.

I know you dont want to plan up a party and then nobody comes, thats understandable. Its like a catch 22 or something, you need confirmed attendees to advertise, but its hard to get attendees WITHOUT advertising. unless you have a core consituency, which is ME by cracky. but i need to sell my local management, ive presold it but i need something visual to put on the proverbial bulletin board.

I'm planing for this even if no one comes. That is something that will become obvious at the beginning of March. This is also happening just after the spring equinox so it will be a refreshing and new beginning even if no one comes. Remember the first one of these only had two people show up. If three show up for this decade we will have broken an attendance record.

I say dream big. Lets assemble a Hall of Home Planetarian Fame and invite them all, perhaps appealing to vanity if nothing else will work. Years ago i started a projector hall of fame, but we need people maybe

who would you want?

Anyone who wants to come. I would be happy if anyone comes.

Moon and Andy
Ken Miller
The Philosopher
Owen
BJ Sullivan
Charles Jones
Steve Pielock
Charlie Miller
Chemed
Albert
Sharon and Susan
Jeanne Bishop (from the Emmons family)
Steve Smith if hes still alive
Your other local guys (I like the term Arizona Misfits!)

i KNOW im forgetting major people

I'm sure, but they should know who they are so say something...anything.

i imagined a fake conference with poor attendance, now im imaging the ultimate conference with everyone attending!

The fact that we do this certainly makes us real so why not the ultimate conference!

[b]Most of the people listed above are (more or less) contributors to this web-sight and hopefully have perused the postings on the purposed get together. I must admit that I have been a bit surprised to the lack of response. Perhaps those of us that are truly smitten by this planetarium bug can indeed be counted on one hand. I would be happy with any response like, "Love the idea but cannot come", or "Right now I have a 23% chance of coming", but all there is, is silence. Nothing would be carved in stone but some chalk marks would be nice.

[i][b]As to the pros, I think I can make mention in my "Planetarian" column as Sharon lets me get away with a lot. (I know she is out there, lurking
(IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) ) I'll do it with my usual dark humor that she has grown to love. Actually I have the formation of September's ramblings taking form in my head right now. Perhaps I'll get it done and in before she has to ask for it.

Who would I want!?!?!?...Who want's to come....everyone is welcome...Steve Durham, how about you?

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 24 2019, 04:08 PM
Post #10

Galaxy Super Cluster

Where was Steve Smith the last time you talked?

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 24 2019, 05:02 PM
Post #11

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jun 24 2019, 10:08 PM) *
Where was Steve Smith the last time you talked?

Standing in his driveway in Douglas AZ waving goodbye to me, my Dad, and his cylinder in the mid 90s. BUT he was in an Arizona Astronomy club some time after that, with a new much smaller starglobe planetarium, I have a picture of it somewhere. Is there a town called Hua Cha Cha or something like that maybe?

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 24 2019, 09:03 PM
Post #12

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 24 2019, 04:02 PM) *
Standing in his driveway in Douglas AZ waving goodbye to me, my Dad, and his cylinder in the mid 90s. BUT he was in an Arizona Astronomy club some time after that, with a new much smaller starglobe planetarium, I have a picture of it somewhere. Is there a town called Hua Cha Cha or something like that maybe?

Probably Huachuca City Arizona which is south of Tucson.

This is their astronomy club. https://www.hacastronomy.org/

This is some 25 years ago. How old was he then?

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 25 2019, 09:54 AM
Post #13

Gare

This is some 25 years ago. How old was he then?

Well here he is, just add 25 years to THAT lol .. they were great, i wish now we'd spent more time with them. we were on the ground there about 2 hours. as you can see, it was raining from your famous MONSOON....
Attached File  smiths.JPG ( 51.26k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 25 2019, 11:14 AM
Post #14

Galaxy Super Cluster

That could be 55 to 65 looking at his hair and beard. So 80 to 90 years old. Need to do some research.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 25 2019, 03:37 PM
Post #15

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jun 25 2019, 05:14 PM) *
That could be 55 to 65 looking at his hair and beard. So 80 to 90 years old. Need to do some research.

his name WOULD be Smith, the worlds most common name.

That WAS the right astro club, he used to be a member, somebody would know something probably.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 25 2019, 05:01 PM
Post #16

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 25 2019, 02:37 PM) *
his name WOULD be Smith, the worlds most common name.

That WAS the right astro club, he used to be a member, somebody would know something probably.

It looks like he would be 88 years old today if he is still alive.

This is based on an article Sir Gare wrote for the September 1995 issue page 10 of the Planetarian in which he mentions in his article entitled "Home, Dome on the Range"

"At least in HP A's case, this passion goes
back to the 1940s. Member Stephen Smith
was written up in Life magazine, February 23,
1948, for his elaborate hand-constructed
cylindrical star projector. The sign on the
door of this 16 year-old's room/theater was
simple in its eloquence: 'I hope you will
enjoy the show, and leave with a greater
understanding of the cosmos and its awful
wonders that will beckon men on forever'."

Nice photos of Bob Myler's basement planetarium. I wonder what ever happened to Bob, as he should be on the list.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 25 2019, 06:42 PM
Post #17

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jun 25 2019, 11:01 PM) *
It looks like he would be 88 years old today if he is still alive.

This is based on an article Sir Gare wrote for the September 1995 issue page 10 of the Planetarian in which he mentions in his article entitled "Home, Dome on the Range"

"At least in HP A's case, this passion goes
back to the 1940s. Member Stephen Smith
was written up in Life magazine, February 23,
1948, for his elaborate hand-constructed
cylindrical star projector. The sign on the
door of this 16 year-old's room/theater was
simple in its eloquence: 'I hope you will
enjoy the show, and leave with a greater
understanding of the cosmos and its awful
wonders that will beckon men on forever'."

Nice photos of Bob Myler's basement planetarium. I wonder what ever happened to Bob, as he should be on the list.

---------------------------------------------------------------
I forgot about that, he did go way back - probably too late

Bob Mylar was a mystery man, he just got out of the hobby as near as I could tell, just disappeared. He was really enthusiastic too, I loved his St Louis Arch silhouette, I think that was in the Newsletter

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 25 2019, 09:04 PM
Post #18

Galaxy Super Cluster

It is almost scary how much of what we post remains out there forever. I'm thinking Bob was one of the people I found looking for Sir Gare. I believe I got some constellation outline pictures from him way back when. Are you lurking out there somewhere Robert???

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 26 2019, 04:59 AM
Post #19

Gare

Bob I believe shared some correspondence he had with Richard Emmons

Hey, I want to give a keynote address at this conference, and I want YOU to make a video of it. what you say

these conferences have to fake it till they make it.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 26 2019, 11:44 AM
Post #20

Galaxy Super Cluster

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 26 2019, 03:59 AM) *
Bob I believe shared some correspondence he had with Richard Emmons
Hey, I want to give a keynote address at this conference, and I want YOU to make a video of it. what you say

these conferences have to fake it till they make it.

Strange how great minds think alike. I was thinking of doing some video of anyone who wants to talk and then making a DVD for all delegates attending that would like one. Wow, a keynote address! For sure!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2019 - 12:54 AM