Reply to this topicStart new topic
> photography in the planetarium
mrgare5050
post Jun 2 2018, 04:53 PM
Post #81

Gare

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

well I want black profiles though, seems like if you paint them with light, you'll see the actual people?

heres another staged shot that looks less real than the blue one, I took the background stars, then added the foreground cutouts again - this time they show more brownish with foreground or straight through light, and arent quite as realistically outlined.

Attached File  fake9.JPG ( 70.74k ) Number of downloads: 0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 3 2018, 11:46 AM
Post #82

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

Yes you would. If you just want to see the black silhouettes of people then with a soft defused light you can add a light area on the dome that is right in front of the people. That way they would stand out as shadows in front of the cone of light. The good thing about this is that if the people moved a little during the time exposure there would be no blurring of features as you couldn't see them.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 4 2018, 03:07 PM
Post #83

Gare

Its funny, you see silhouette pictures in amateur astronomy all the time, people out with telescopes, the Milky Way arching behind them etc, and I've always loved them, but I havent really found any in the planetarium, maybe I just missed them. I'm trying to get one I can use for publicity, heres a possible layout once I take the background exposure, maybe then put SUMNER SKIES in glowing letters in the sky.
Attached File  IMG_5330.JPG ( 35.83k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 5 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #84

Gare

Took three pictures I like for a possible PR thing, theres this one. I really like the color
Attached File  IMG_0194.JPG ( 36.31k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 5 2018, 06:36 PM
Post #85

Gare

This one was tinged blue and is really attractive I think too
Attached File  IMG_0196.JPG ( 35.82k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 5 2018, 06:38 PM
Post #86

Gare

finally theres this one, the cylinder is harder to see, but the starfield is great. these were all 25 second exposures.
Attached File  IMG_0197.JPG ( 28.22k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 5 2018, 08:26 PM
Post #87

Galaxy Super Cluster

My vote, the first one.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 6 2018, 04:45 AM
Post #88

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jun 6 2018, 02:26 AM) *
My vote, the first one.

Yeah the coppery one was my favorite too. Boy you can see my Aldeberan issue here cant you, the pinhole/lense seems the same as other brighter stars, but it just doesnt come through for some reason. Also you notice in a small planetarium, you can only get the camera back so far - i suppose a wide angle lense would make the projector seem further away? The cylinder also reflects light, which is either arty or distracting depending on your point of view. I never realized photography like this is so easily affected by background light.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 6 2018, 09:30 AM
Post #89

Galaxy Super Cluster

One never realizes how much stray light is around until taking a time exposure. I agree that Aldebaran should be brighter, more like Betelgeuse over in Orion. It should be about the same size hole with the same lens over it. Could it be the position of the light source? If you are using the LED, it might not be as bright at that angle as compared to Orion.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 7 2018, 02:54 PM
Post #90

Gare

could go with something surreal ...
Attached File  surreal.JPG ( 50.86k ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 7 2018, 04:33 PM
Post #91

Galaxy Super Cluster

The crowd gasps as the strange cylindrical spacecraft suddenly projected out thousands of shafts of light projecting a perfect replica of the night sky on the buildings surrounding it. There wan no longer any question, these entities were intelligent!

Kind of looks like the far away crowds from Dunkirk the movie!

I'm not at all sure if people would like surreal. The idea of an actual working real planetarium nearby is enough of a challenge for most. Once you get word of mouth working then you can go for the artsy stuff.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 8 2018, 03:17 AM
Post #92

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jun 7 2018, 10:33 PM) *
The crowd gasps as the strange cylindrical spacecraft suddenly projected out thousands of shafts of light projecting a perfect replica of the night sky on the buildings surrounding it. There wan no longer any question, these entities were intelligent!

Kind of looks like the far away crowds from Dunkirk the movie!

I'm not at all sure if people would like surreal. The idea of an actual working real planetarium nearby is enough of a challenge for most. Once you get word of mouth working then you can go for the artsy stuff.

---------------------------------

the biggest movies by FAR the past few years though are Super Heroes and Star Wars - and people dont like surreal? I'm thinking about wearing a mask!

actually im thinking about no web site at all, theres too much on the internet now. then as we've seen with these guys who make a big splash, a few years later the site is gone and so are they.

i really need some kind of free editing software, i believe the classic photoshop is expensive?

+Quote Post
moonmagic
post Jun 8 2018, 11:10 AM
Post #93

Star

Member No.: 875

Moon, late to the post as usual, likes the first picture too. The copper look of the star cylinder just stands out against it's background of stars. mm

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 8 2018, 11:23 AM
Post #94

Galaxy Super Cluster

Try GIMP.

https://www.gimp.org/

It is free and quite good.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 8 2018, 11:27 AM
Post #95

Galaxy Super Cluster

People go to movies expecting to be entertained by the surreal. People go to planetariums expecting to be educated. But no one really knows what will really work.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 8 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #96

Galaxy Super Cluster

I remember the years I had a web site and no one ever came to look at it. Waste of both time and money. I've had so many more people come to my Facebook page then ever come to my web page.

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 9 2018, 05:19 AM
Post #97

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jun 8 2018, 05:27 PM) *
People go to movies expecting to be entertained by the surreal. People go to planetariums expecting to be educated. But no one really knows what will really work.

yeah i'm going with zero zpecial effects really, the STARS are now a special effect, something nobody sees. ironic isnt it?

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jun 9 2018, 05:21 AM
Post #98

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jun 8 2018, 05:33 PM) *
I remember the years I had a web site and no one ever came to look at it. Waste of both time and money. I've had so many more people come to my Facebook page then ever come to my web page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
right, nobody wants to remember an URL when they can just search you on social media. actually ive been surprised, some of my long lost aunts have commented on facebook.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jun 9 2018, 11:16 AM
Post #99

Galaxy Super Cluster

Yes, Facebook is kind of like a web site, and it's free. I just wonder what info is being gathered to use against me. (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2019 - 12:27 AM