Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keeping warm and heating
RickK
post Aug 13 2014, 01:42 PM
Post #1

Interstellar Medium

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,012

I'm looking a the ED as a permanent home for a scope. I'm wondering about heating it, and insulation for cold winters here in WV.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Aug 13 2014, 08:55 PM
Post #2

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

Hi RickK and welcome to OC.

You really don't want to heat the dome because all of your heat will go out the viewing port right in front of the scope. Also the scope will be warm and have to fight off the shift to cold. So not only will you be fighting the thermal currents but the changes in the scope do to quick temperature change. I think you will find it best to let the scope as well as the dome atmosphere adjust with the outside temperature.

The dome is great because setup and teardown time is no longer a factor as well as the time required for temperature adaptation. Also the dome does a great job of keeping the wind away which helps a lot on those really cold mornings. As for your body, a separate warm room or an electrically heated flight suit is the only thing I can suggest.

I would also forget the insulation idea as you want the scope and atmosphere to follow the outside temperature as fast as possible.

Anyone else out there with ideas as I am far from an expert on such matters.

+Quote Post
RickK
post Aug 13 2014, 10:47 PM
Post #3

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 3,012

Thanks for the reply, I was more worried about damage to the scope from condensation from the building and dome heating up after a cold night. I had seen it in storage buildings where metal objects like tools or a motorcycle was inside and the building heats faster than the metal object inside is still cold, looks almost like it frost on the metal.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Aug 14 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #4

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

Good point, I tend to forget about how cold things can get and then add a high due point. Out here in Arizona that is never much of a problem. Perhaps when your not using the scope you could put a canvas bag over it and then have a small 25 watt bulb at the top of the pier to "take the chill off" so to speak. That should keep the scope warm enough to prevent frost.

I know a lot of dome owners live through cold winters and it would be interesting to get their take on this.

+Quote Post
flyboyjohn
post Aug 26 2014, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 1,201

My Exploradome is totally unheated, on those really cold nights I simply plug in my trusty electric blanket...toasty all night

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 03:43 AM