Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weany freight companies
Greg Mueller
post Apr 19 2007, 08:31 AM
Post #1

Dust Disk

Group: Members
Member No.: 467

I guess times must be good for truck drivers and freight companies.
When it came time to deliver the dome, Ash checked around and got (what I assume was) the best price. Since I currently live 1500 miles from where my new house and observatory will be, I had to coordinate the arrival of the dome, the fork lift and me, so I could put it in my shop building. I specified Thursday the 12th. I left the Seattle area on Monday morning pulling a Uhaul trailer with my truck. Monday evening I got a call that says they will be there Wednesday morning. After a brief discussion and a few "no ways" I had to go for Wednesday afternoon around 2. Well that turned a 3 day (500 miles per day) into a 2 day trip.
Wednesday morning I get a call and it's the trucking company whining that they are at Datil and I need to meet them to unload. So about noon I finally got there and said "follow me". Mind you the pallet is addressed to my property. We went out of Datil the 10 miles to the turn off and then onto the gravel road for the last 11 miles.
When we got there the driver was about ready to blow a fuse. He said had he known he had to drive his truck on a gravel road he would not have taken the job! I found this very strange as most of the roads in NM are gravel and I know of very few observatories located in downtown "anywhere". Mind you, we drive these gravel roads at 50 or better, so it's not like they are full of chuck holes or anything.
Well we got the pallet off and into the shop and he left. When I got the bill, they had raised the price by $90 for "Additional charges incurred day of delivery for off-loading". I called and the charges were for having to drive on a gravel road.
I think if I had know these guys are such weanies, I would have drove to Chicago and rented a Uhaul and pulled it back. I think I could have done it easily for the $2240 they charged for delivery
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strgzr
post Apr 19 2007, 09:05 AM
Post #2

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13

Wow $2240 for delivery!!Thats more than most of us have invested in our entire observatory! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
SteveDurham
post Apr 19 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #3

Star Cluster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 10

FYI.....when dealing with "common freight" companies, it is always best to find a trucking company with a loading dock close to the destination. Then try to get the same company to pick up and deliver to that close loading dock. If they can't pick it up, which is not very often, then arrange it to be shipped "common carrier", and still have it dropped at the same loading dock, with permission of the owners.
It will be less expensive.
Getting it from the loading dock to where it's going after that can be a different story...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 09:27 PM