Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Fogy rant
locoweed
post Jul 27 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #1

Dust Disk

Group: Members
Member No.: 538

Ever notice how old folks like to complain about the prices of things these days? I guess I have arrived. I have been trying to find 2 things on the net the last few days, something to use as a seal around the dome and slit and something to use for insulating the wall of my metal round building. There is some neat stuff out there, but I seem to run into the "leave a message & we will get back to you" which never happens.

One of the folks I did manage to get ahold of was very pleasant to deal with but they think their stuff is made of gold with diamonds for trim.

This is a pic of some foam seal. Not made of anything exotic.

Attached File  seal1.jpg ( 34.6k ) Number of downloads: 0

Price $15.00 per foot.

This is another one from the same place.

Attached File  seal2.jpg ( 31.29k ) Number of downloads: 0

A mere $8.00 per foot

The first one looked like it would be ideal to go on the bottom of the wheel channel on my ED. Well at $15 a foot and the dome is around 25' in circumference. so 15x25= $375. The seal in the second pic looked good to use to seal the slit. I figure that 20 feet should do it. 20x8=160. $160 + $375 = $535 for less than 50 feet of foam seals. That is about 25% of the cost of the round building, dome and freight to get it here.

Gee, I wonder if there is any limit of how much I can buy at those prices?

Not as dumb as I look!! (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/angry.gif)

Russ
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jul 27 2007, 01:06 PM
Post #2

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

Have you looked here???

http://www.flex-guard.com/index.html

+Quote Post
locoweed
post Jul 27 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #3

Dust Disk

Hi Ron

I did not consider brush type seals during my search. I ended up ordering some material meant for the bottom of garage doors. I'll see what I can do with that when it comes before I look any further.

+Quote Post
NeoDinian
post Jul 27 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #4

Just a State of Mind!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12

Have you looked through Home Depot to see what you can "Rig up"?

+Quote Post
locoweed
post Jul 27 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #5

Dust Disk

The closest Home Depot is 150+ miles away. The closest Walmart is 81.

These are some of the drawbacks to living in the middle of nowhere West Texas.

Shopping the internet is a way of life for us.

For us, the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages.

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Jul 27 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #6

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 16

QUOTE(locoweed @ Jul 27 2007, 01:12 PM) *
Hi Ron

I did not consider brush type seals during my search. I ended up ordering some material meant for the bottom of garage doors. I'll see what I can do with that when it comes before I look any further.

The problem that I see with the solid stuff is that it is ment for a straight edge. I can see problems arise when such material is bent in a curve shape.

+Quote Post
NeoDinian
post Jul 27 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #7

Just a State of Mind!

Being in the flooring industry, what comes to mind is Vinyl base... Comes in 4 foot strips, 4 inches tall, 1/8 inch thick with a "Cove" (Curved) bottom.

Perhaps something like that could be rigged up.?? (IMG:http://www.observatorycentral.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
locoweed
post Jul 27 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #8

Dust Disk

Thanks for the tip Neo. I hadn't thought of that.

I haven't fooled with any base in awhile. Would it get stiff in the cold?

Russ

+Quote Post
locoweed
post Jul 27 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #9

Dust Disk

Ron, I am sure there would be a problem if it is bent in too sharp of a curve. I think it would depend on the material and the radius of the curve

Thanks

Russ

+Quote Post
NeoDinian
post Jul 27 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #10

Just a State of Mind!

Normally really soft. As for bends, it can do a 3 inch curve easy...

However, I don't know how long it will last now that you brought it up. Vinyl will get hard with cold... Not like rubber.

+Quote Post
Glasstronomic
post Jul 27 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #11

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 26

Hi Russ,

I normally lurk quietly in the background, but I've been on working on the same problem this week and sticker shock is killing me on these materials. I gave up on similar foam materials because everything that I've tested has had way too much friction against HDPE. The flexible and rigid line brushes are just too expensive for my budget at around $8.00 a foot X 25'+ circumference. The PVC flap-type strips had promise, but I couldn't find anything in the right shape and dimensions to wrap around the ring without it folding away from a seal at the dome skirt.

Soooooo...

I just took delivery, today, of a 1' X 15' strip of artificial turf at $1.95/sq.ft. from an eBay seller. It's a "fine blade" type, with blades around 1 3/4" long. The blades are made of a polyethylene formula, similar to the ED. The blades are densely tufted, enough to possibly serve as a flexible brush seal, but each 1/16" blade might be just a tad too fat to be totally effective against gnat-sized insects and tiny ants. We'll see over the weekend. At first, the nap of the turf was lying down because the strip was rolled tight for shipping. I have it laid out on the porch in the hope that a little weathering will allow it to stand up. I have brushed it against the nap with a broom a few times, and it seems to fluff a little more with each try.

Tomorrow I'm going to cut some strips and test adhesion between the turf's urethane-coated backing and acrylic automotive tape. The total gap between my base ring and the dome skirt is around 1", so I hope this stuff will work. I'll let y'all know ASAP.

BTW, I can't believe how real this stuff looks! Like the fringe on St. Andrews' fairways.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 06:06 AM