Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sky & Telescope
Greg Mueller
post Nov 27 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #1

Dust Disk

Group: Members
Member No.: 467

I have subscribed to this mag for years and years. It's hard to think of it not being on the coffee table, but I think I'm done with it.
I just got the latest issue and inside the plastic bag was an offer of a year subscription for $38. Also in the bag was a spam book for jewelry. I looked at the front of S&T and see that now it is $6 for an issue. Flipping through it I was struck by how many ads there are. I would guess that maybe around 60% of the magazine is ads, maybe more. There are no longer any articles on how to build or make things. All their reviews are keyed toward saying nice things about the reviewed item, so they can get advertiser revenue.
When I look at todays issue and an issue from the 60s it makes me very sad. I think their time has come and gone at my house
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jon
post Mar 1 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #2

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 1,617

I have also noticed the decline of the astronomy mags. I went for the free issue thing just to see and was disappointed in both of them. They were both not much more than thick pamphlets. I guess the economy has affected them big time also. Jon.

+Quote Post
astrodoug
post Jun 14 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #3

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 1,742

I agree. Have also just recently cancelled my S&T subscription. Not enough value for the money.

+Quote Post
Tom Clark
post Sep 25 2012, 03:29 PM
Post #4

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 886

I dropped both S&T and Astronomy back in 1994 and have survived quite well, thank you!
There is one magazine that is still worth reading - Amateur Astronomy Magazine.

I founded it in '94 and ran it for 14 years before retiring. Charlie Warren has been the editor for the last 5 years and still does a great job.
amateurastronomy.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 05:58 AM