Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Defective China Hardware
bjsullivan
post Oct 22 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #1

Star Cluster

Group: Members
Member No.: 444

Out-of-spec cheap Chinese hardware is a situation that only seems to be getting worse. I bought a large batch of nuts and bolts for a restoration project and about half of them sieze up when any amount of torque is applied with a hand wrench
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
craig s
post Nov 27 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #2

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 1,642

Yeah, I remember in the bicycle biz 15 years ago, seat post bolt heads would pop off as soon as you STARTED tightening them. Same with reflector bolts. I saw the seize thing too. When it seemed like it was starting to seize, you'd stop, spray on WD-40, back it off, and resume tightening. It kept burring along surfaces from getting out of hand. I was disapointed as hell when my BRAND NEW MEADE telescope would have the clamshell knobs tightended to the end of the threads and there was still almost 1/4" of clamshell squeezing to go. The tube was loose in a tightened mount. I had to find some thick nylon bushings to put under the knob heads to give myself a little more clampdown.

QUOTE(bjsullivan @ Oct 22 2010, 11:12 PM) *
Out-of-spec cheap Chinese hardware is a situation that only seems to be getting worse. I bought a large batch of nuts and bolts for a restoration project and about half of them sieze up when any amount of torque is applied with a hand wrench

+Quote Post
bjsullivan
post Dec 26 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #3

Star Cluster

Member No.: 444

QUOTE(craig s @ Nov 27 2010, 09:11 AM) *
Yeah, I remember in the bicycle biz 15 years ago, seat post bolt heads would pop off as soon as you STARTED tightening them. Same with reflector bolts. I saw the seize thing too. When it seemed like it was starting to seize, you'd stop, spray on WD-40, back it off, and resume tightening. It kept burring along surfaces from getting out of hand. I was disapointed as hell when my BRAND NEW MEADE telescope would have the clamshell knobs tightended to the end of the threads and there was still almost 1/4" of clamshell squeezing to go. The tube was loose in a tightened mount. I had to find some thick nylon bushings to put under the knob heads to give myself a little more clampdown.

While still on the rant... Machine screws I bought are not threaded fully up to the bolt head so they won't sit flush.. bolt heads that are neither SAE nor metric after picking through the SAE and metric wrenches to choose which one is the best fit... resorting to the clunky adjustable crescent wrench. or maybe its the tools that are out-of-spec, those are from china too.

+Quote Post
jorgea
post Nov 29 2011, 08:18 PM
Post #4

Interstellar Medium

Member No.: 2,298

Everything is made from China. It's almost impossible to find anything not from China.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2019 - 05:59 AM