IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topic Start new topic
 the whimsical, the tacky, the unusual ..., the cow jumped over the blue moon??

Owen Phairis
post Jan 1 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #21

Galaxy

Group: Members

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jan 1 2009, 08:00 AM) *
[attachment=3026:2009_01010001.JPG]

http://www.handheldhaven.com/servlet/the-2...ium-with/Detail

goodwill strikes again, 4 bucks for this gem.... there is a whole SHOW on the planets here delivered in a delightful PUSH A BUTTON HUMAN robotic voice! ALL kinds of great facts on planets, I may make a cd just of this content! g

Cool find - Treasure hunting at the thrift store -

Living in such a small town as I do, I miss the shopping opertunities that larger towns offer.

--------------------
Owen Phairis, Director
Planetarium Projector and Science Museum

www.PlanetariumMuseum.org
Planetarium Projectors:
Spitz: (2)A1, A3P, 373, 512, STP, STS Prototype
GOTO: S-2, EX-3, Mercury, (2)Venus, Apollo III (E-5), M1 Star Globes
Emmons-HPA Projector, Harmonic Reed Nova III, Viewlex Minolta Series IIB
Musser Copernican Planetarium Prototype

Telescopes:
3" Straight Cassegrain from Deutsches Museum # 293 of 1500
8" Cave Astrola Newtonian, 8" Meade Newtonian, 8" Meade SCT,
6" f-10 Vernon Refractor, 6" f-8 Celestron Refractor, Daystar H-Alpha filter,
4" f-15 Unitron Refractor, 90mm f-11 Meade Maksutov, 90mm f-13 Meade ETX
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jan 14 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #22

Gare

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb52...07/ai_n20695509

i grew up near the LEGENDARY kohlers trading post, your wife owen may remember it .. it was on st charles between villa park and lombard - lombard park was legendary to us villa parkers in the 60s for its own reasons... first .. there was a DOG N SUDS nearby... second.. there was a MAJOR LEAGUE SIZE baseball diamond .. to us small kids this was ENORMOUS .. the leftfielder played where shortstop was .. third .. there was a softball field with a FENCE .. these were the days when baseball ruled... softball .. we would play in the streets using tar cracks for bases .. we would play at the school .. hardball was generally illegal since it broke windows, as did golf balls .. so we used the big 16 inch mush balls.. or wiffle balls.. we would play home run derby .. so a FENCE was HUGE for home runs .. i remember the day joe horlen pitched a no hitter for the white sox .. my dad would take me to comisky.. i preferred the cubs but wrigleys so hard to get to on the north side .

anyway kohlers.. a TRADING POST ... today we have the goodwills and thrift stores, doesnt vegas have any owne?

of course my main myth with kohlers was, my father took my first telescope - a burgundy tubed 65mm refractor (i still have the instructions .. it had a 'booster' lense, not a barlow .. and he trades it for a pair of ICE SKATES

dam im still recovering from this! kohlers is no more... the young baseball player is alas no more either .. i doubt anybody plays in the streets today! g

--------------------

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jan 14 2009, 08:47 AM
Post #23

Gare

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/sho...sb/5/o/all/vc/1

look at this... my old tasco is probably a collectors item now! g

--------------------

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jan 14 2009, 08:54 AM
Post #24

Gare

right here right here .. this is why i love the web ... it was 67... i remember because i was at alan weigers house .. if that name sounds familiar, it was at his house i built my first cakebox planetarium... i remember alan .. i can SEE alan .. telling me horlen pitching this .. the nightly news had the WHOLE 9th inning ... september 10, 67,,, in a year i'd leave chicago and adler for detroit and my destiny....

The highlight of Horlen’s season was a clutch performance on September 10 as the White Sox were involved in a four-way pennant race with the Twins, Boston Red Sox, and Detroit Tigers; he no-hit the Tigers in the first game of a doubleheader at Comiskey Park. The no-hitter was one of eight thrown by a Jewish pitcher, and the only one by a Jewish right-hander, in a decade spanning from 1962 through 1971. The others: Bo Belinsky - 1962; Sandy Koufax - 1962, 1963, 1964, and 1965; and Ken Holtzman - 1969 and 1971. Not until Mark Buehrle in 2007 would another no-hitter be pitched by a White Sox in a White Sox home game.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jan 14 2009, 08:57 AM
Post #25

Gare

its interesting, NOBODY would say 'jewish' pitcher today .. ah the days before PC ...

gare better get back to planetariiums...

--------------------

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jan 14 2009, 09:06 AM
Post #26

Gare

im emailing this to weiger, hes drama director at elmhurst college ..

he had bat that was HUGE .. we called it THE WARCLUB.. i'll see if he remembers it ..

gare, totally out of control in nostalgia

--------------------

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Dec 7 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #27

Gare

In a world exclusive (maybe), HPA is proud to announce the first ever PLANETARIUM XMAS TREE ORNAMENT .... homemade (what else, its HPA) with a found block of wood, a nail, and ping pong ball, and some paint. This could be a whole line of gift shop items! ho ho ho g

Attached File  2009_1207HPA0001.JPG ( 63.67k ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Jul 23 2010, 05:34 AM
Post #28

Gare

Its time to start thinking EARLY this year about HPAs planned line of Planetarium Christmas Ornaments .. PCO's for short ...

related, I had no clue NASA has a bunch of space toy projects that are related ... check out for example this galaxy mobile! g

http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/en/kids/galex_make1.shtml

--------------------

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Sep 11 2011, 04:24 AM
Post #29

Gare

http://unclemilton.com/in_my_room/shooting_stars_in_my_room/

Uncle Milton does it again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Sep 11 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #30

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Moderators

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Sep 11 2011, 03:24 AM) *

That looks interesting. One could hardly build it for that kind of money. I wonder what the shooting star looks like. Most shooting star projectors show a meter shower emanating from a radiant. Much to much for a typical average show. Having a simple projector that projects a single meter randomly every minute or so would be great for most shows.

--------------------
Ron Walker

Orion 11" XLT EQ-G ~ Orion 102mm Mak
Burgess 38mm ~ Stratus 21mm and 13mm
Dyanscope 4" (1950's vintage)
Nikon F 35mm ~ Canon 300D

Planetaria:
Goto E-5 (Viewlex) ~ Spitz A3P ~ Minolta/Viewlex Series II B

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Sep 12 2011, 04:28 AM
Post #31

Gare

QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Sep 11 2011, 06:44 PM) *
That looks interesting. One could hardly build it for that kind of money. I wonder what the shooting star looks like. Most shooting star projectors show a meter shower emanating from a radiant. Much to much for a typical average show. Having a simple projector that projects a single meter randomly every minute or so would be great for most shows.

Yes, and I note that while they have a demo video for the firework projector, there isnt one for this. I just have these nasty feelings that

1. It would be cheesy
2. It would detract from the stars

One special effect tends to lead to TWO special effects, which leads to ...

Im on this purist bent right now, uncluttered .. if the stars arent enough, why do it kind of mindset.....

uncle gareton

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ron Walker
post Sep 12 2011, 01:24 PM
Post #32

Galaxy Super Cluster

Group: Moderators

QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Sep 12 2011, 03:28 AM) *
Yes, and I note that while they have a demo video for the firework projector, there isnt one for this. I just have these nasty feelings that
1. It would be cheesy
2. It would detract from the stars

One special effect tends to lead to TWO special effects, which leads to ...

Im on this purist bent right now, uncluttered .. if the stars arent enough, why do it kind of mindset.....

uncle gareton

Not at all sure if I agree with your "uncluttered" mindset. It is those extras, the things that move about, that make the skies new and exciting for each night. I like the idea of the odd single meter streaking across the dome. Especially not telling anyone about it fist. I think it would get the audience looking more intently at the dome and what's there. Then if there is a "what's that" from the crowd, talking about that "grain of sand" or "speck of dust" that had been floating through space for millennium only to burn up in its encounter with Earth's atmosphere. Kind of fun stuff that.

Even the steady pace of a satellite across the dome can be an exciting extra for people to find and follow. I know that when we can get up to our dark sky site, it is unbelievable how many satellites one can see going by.

All of this also adds time to a presentation which I personally think should be about an hour in length. There is just so much stretching one can do with the sunrise and sunset. I'm not at all sure if I could fill an hour with my scant knowledge of stars and constellations.

But then again it's like you said before, we will probably never have the same people ever again, so why worry. The basic introductory show should probably be an introductory rambling through the night sky. And I wish you all a very good morning.

--------------------
Ron Walker

Orion 11" XLT EQ-G ~ Orion 102mm Mak
Burgess 38mm ~ Stratus 21mm and 13mm
Dyanscope 4" (1950's vintage)
Nikon F 35mm ~ Canon 300D

Planetaria:
Goto E-5 (Viewlex) ~ Spitz A3P ~ Minolta/Viewlex Series II B

+Quote Post
mrgare5050
post Nov 5 2011, 04:05 AM
Post #33

Gare

The ancient Chinese called comets 'broom stars', so I have constructed one

Attached File  DSC03062.JPG ( 45.22k ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version   
Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 06:32 PM
Skin by ibskins