Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Space Music! Planetariums need Soundtracks!
Observatory Central > Planetarium Forum > Planetariums as a hobby > Planetarium Presentations ~ programs, education, music, and effects
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
mrgare5050
Hey! A neglected area of home planetaria is the sound tracks... you can buy them, you can roll 'cosmos' for the 2 billioneth time, or you can make your own!

Ron, if i send you 20 bucks, can I get some copies of my own CD? I really want to begin recording this stuff, but I know from previous lives there are many instrumentalists out there .. plus the galaxy of classical stuff down through history .. plus the pros

What music are YOU planning on, huh! gare
Ron Walker
You can play "Cosmos" or go to the source. The composer "Vangelis" had a lot of his music "borrowed" for the program.

Personally I like a lot of the old classical selections as most visitors now have never heard them. I'm not at all sure if this is my own idea or if I heard it in programs at the Adler, but Debussy's "Clouds" is a great selection for when the Sun comes up at the end of the program. (In my shows the Sun will always come up at the end of the program.)

There is so much of it (with full orchestra) that you would probably never run out. Not at all sure where to start. If you give me a particular scenario, I'll give you my idea on what music will work.

Make me a life time member of the HPA and I'll keep you in CD's (within reason or course). I would also love to get back issues of the newsletter. How many CD's do you need now?
mrgare5050
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Apr 18 2007, 08:06 PM) *
You can play "Cosmos" or go to the source. The composer "Vangelis" had a lot of his music "borrowed" for the program.

Personally I like a lot of the old classical selections as most visitors now have never heard them. I'm not at all sure if this is my own idea or if I heard it in programs at the Adler, but Debussy's "Clouds" is a great selection for when the Sun comes up at the end of the program. (In my shows the Sun will always come up at the end of the program.)

There is so much of it (with full orchestra) that you would probably never run out. Not at all sure where to start. If you give me a particular scenario, I'll give you my idea on what music will work.

Make me a life time member of the HPA and I'll keep you in CD's (within reason or course). I would also love to get back issues of the newsletter. How many CD's do you need now?

well i was going to say this in the next issue, but done .. i was going to name you, ken, pat, richard emmons (post h.), jeanne bishop, ray worthy, murray cragin, george kelley, bob myler robert little roy gustafson the charter members of HPA, with me that makes us the FOUNDING 12. the dirty dozen ... lifetime .. certificates to be issued!

ive GOT a copier in the barn (everything is in the barn), i just have to get it refurbed, then costs should drop and back issues will be plentiful!

i could use 5 of the Night Song Suite cds, im going to send them some places mainly for publicity! thank you! g
mrgare5050

oops add steve smith to the Charter list .. its a bakers dozen!
Ron Walker
Should go out this week.
mrgare5050

sweet on the cds! I hear you on classical, there is this thing called 'Mozart at Midnight' that I used to play in shows in my little 9 foot dome, but I like more esoteric things too. I found this tape of gregorian monks chanting which is positively riveting under a starry sky. Also the yamaha Dx7 keyboard has all kinds of 'big bangy' effects which can startle, I even bought a special effects generator .. i'll never forget one time in the dark i made this growling lion sound and the kid next to me almost jumped through the dome!

until i get my copier fixed, what i'll do is go backwards and mail some back issues one at a time, ive got issue 13 here, the last one before i quit for all those years, i'll send to you ron and anyone else interested, a couple of these were formatted differently because i had lost the pagemaker software i was using previously. i havent read them myself so i need to see what was said! gare
mrgare5050

on the subject of music, i want to run my plans by the pros here. im using common dvd players from walmart to play music cds, so far used new age cds from the local used shop. i AM tempted to buy loch ness latest 'space sound' cd i just received a postcard for - something bothers me about loch ness, they are the anti-gare in some ways, so polished whereas im so grass roots, but i figure this kind of stuff i'd really like to hear the best

but, heres my thought - get 3 or 4 cd players - have them all running simulatanously - then CROSS FADE them in and out - i have a 2 channel cross fader board from radio shack - that way i could vary the music - pick quiet places where needed, have the stirring stuff at beginning and end etc - what do you think? ive got some big speaker stacks, i want the music to rock, not just be elevator music

also, does ANYONE do ANYTHING musical? im planning on trying to record my OWN space music tape, contributions are invited! gare
Owen Phairis
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 28 2007, 03:24 AM) *
on the subject of music, i want to run my plans by the pros here. im using common dvd players from walmart to play music cds, so far used new age cds from the local used shop. i AM tempted to buy loch ness latest 'space sound' cd i just received a postcard for - something bothers me about loch ness, they are the anti-gare in some ways, so polished whereas im so grass roots, but i figure this kind of stuff i'd really like to hear the best

but, heres my thought - get 3 or 4 cd players - have them all running simulatanously - then CROSS FADE them in and out - i have a 2 channel cross fader board from radio shack - that way i could vary the music - pick quiet places where needed, have the stirring stuff at beginning and end etc - what do you think? ive got some big speaker stacks, i want the music to rock, not just be elevator music

also, does ANYONE do ANYTHING musical? im planning on trying to record my OWN space music tape, contributions are invited! gare

For music, I am partial to Holst: "The Planets". I also like to use: "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Modest Mussorgsky.. In my opinion, it is hard to beat the classics that have more than survived the test of time.

I, myself, would recommend reconsidering the use of multiple cd players and the crossfades.
A good tape deck with prerecorded music so that the show cues are reproducible and can be perfected for the best possible show.

Owen
www.pictorialism.com
Ron Walker
QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Jun 28 2007, 07:09 AM) *
For music, I am partial to Holst: "The Planets". I also like to use: "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Modest Mussorgsky.. In my opinion, it is hard to beat the classics that have more than survived the test of time.

I, myself, would recommend reconsidering the use of multiple cd players and the crossfades.
A good tape deck with prerecorded music so that the show cues are reproducible and can be perfected for the best possible show.

Owen
www.pictorialism.com

I agree with you Owen. Another thing is to store the music sections as files in a computer but they would be hard to cross-fade.

A problem with running several CD players at the same time is you would never really know where on a CD you would be at different points in your program when you want to change. Unless your just talking about more generic background music.

Owen's pre-taped music program is probably the best simple solution. You could also set up a multi-track recorder or computer with loops of different types on music on them. The problem with that is if you wanted a particularly rousing section (for sunrise for instance) it would be hard again to time.

I still think the best bet would be to have a computer or I-pod for that matter programed with a bunch of music cues that you were planning to use throughout your presentation. Like "Pictures At An Exhibition" you could have a loop of connecting music to segway between the major pieces or just fade into silence at those points.

One thing for sure, you must have music! laugh.gif
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 28 2007, 03:24 AM) *
i AM tempted to buy loch ness latest 'space sound' cd i just received a postcard for - something bothers me about loch ness, they are the anti-gare in some ways, so polished whereas im so grass roots, but i figure this kind of stuff i'd really like to hear the best

Loch Ness does a lot of great things and I would imagine there music is as well. However, I would temper that statement with the fact that the music material would probably tend to be very "generic" as it would need to satisfy the "tastes" of a large number of presenters. Most planetarium staff, don't have the time to edit a music program, or for that matter, actually develop a program to give their audience. That's where Loch Ness shines. Providing reasonably priced programs for planetariums that can't (or won't) make their own.

Another source of "generic music" is the material made for film and video producers. I have something like 25 hours of it and 95% of it is very bland and "elevator" sounding. In the background of a program about "banking alternatives" it works great, but I doubt much of it would "invigorate the soles" of a planetarium audience.

I wish I were technically musical in that I could play an instrument. Alas, this I never did. Perhaps piano would be best as I could then assign every finger to a different instrument on a sampler and do some orchestration. There is, I have found, only so much any one person can do....alas. unsure.gif
Strgzr
QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Jun 28 2007, 07:09 AM) *

I'll have to remember my own mp3 player and headset if I ever get a chance to visit a Planetarium. Classical music is the last thing I want to listen to!
"Rock Hard or Die" is my motto! wink.gif rolleyes.gif
Owen Phairis
QUOTE(Strgzr @ Jun 28 2007, 01:02 PM) *
I'll have to remember my own mp3 player and headset if I ever get a chance to visit a Planetarium. Classical music is the last thing I want to listen to!
"Rock Hard or Die" is my motto! wink.gif rolleyes.gif

I remember, not so long ago, talking to a friend about music and his attitude towards classical music was similar to yours.....I asked him what he thought of the Star Wars theme, Superman, Batman and Indiana Jones themes.. he thought they were great! I then reminded him that those themes are the classical music of our times.............

Owen
Spitz A1, Spitz A3P, Nova III, GOTO S2
www.pictorialism.com
Owen Phairis
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jun 28 2007, 12:21 PM) *
I agree with you Owen. Another thing is to store the music sections as files in a computer but they would be hard to cross-fade.

A problem with running several CD players at the same time is you would never really know where on a CD you would be at different points in your program when you want to change. Unless your just talking about more generic background music.

Owen's pre-taped music program is probably the best simple solution. You could also set up a multi-track recorder or computer with loops of different types on music on them. The problem with that is if you wanted a particularly rousing section (for sunrise for instance) it would be hard again to time.

I still think the best bet would be to have a computer or I-pod for that matter programed with a bunch of music cues that you were planning to use throughout your presentation. Like "Pictures At An Exhibition" you could have a loop of connecting music to segway between the major pieces or just fade into silence at those points.

One thing for sure, you must have music! laugh.gif

Thanks Ron,

I forgot to mention that I use the second track on the cassette player to automatically cue and control the slide projectors including disolve rates.

Owen
www.pictorialism.com

Click to view attachment
Ron Walker
Love your poster Owen! laugh.gif Where did you find the drawing of the Zeiss. It's really very accurate, but set for the southern hemisphere.
Ron Walker
QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Jun 28 2007, 04:23 PM) *
I remember, not so long ago, talking to a friend about music and his attitude towards classical music was similar to yours.....I asked him what he thought of the Star Wars theme, Superman, Batman and Indiana Jones themes.. he thought they were great! I then reminded him that those themes are the classical music of our times.............

Owen
Spitz A1, Spitz A3P, Nova III, GOTO S2
www.pictorialism.com

Right you are again! I've had several friends how thought they hated classical music but it was more the Hayden and Bach they didn't like. It's all an acquired taste and one should start with film music or later composers from the romantic period. Shostakovitch and Prokofiev come to mind.
Owen Phairis
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jun 28 2007, 04:52 PM) *
Love your poster Owen! laugh.gif Where did you find the drawing of the Zeiss. It's really very accurate, but set for the southern hemisphere.

I commisioned a jewelry box with a local woodburner artist.
I try to support the arts....

Owen

Click to view attachment
mrgare5050

dang, my radio shack mixer seems to be lacking an 18V ac adapter (wall wart), and radio shack wants 25 bucks for them, plus i didnt know which tip to buy. i bought this mixer 10 years ago and its just sat around.

alright i have mixed feelings about the obvious thing, create a tape of selections and just play it every show.

that sounds frankly CANNED .. why not go a step further (im being devils advocate) and simply record a canned message that my kid can play for people, i wont even have to be there! i see the wisdom of this. and i know that winging presentations is very detectable, especially if you are charging (my current plan vacillates between a buck and 2 bucks a head, with exceptions that chuck recommends in a piece he did for 17. by the way, ive got caught in a bind on 17, i sent ron one, but i was gone a week, now i have no day off to make up for it THIS week, and my day off NEXT week is july 4th, so i cant get to the copy place!

so ... i have this heartfelt memory of bands playing in planetariums - in fact i saved a vintage poster from abrahms where i went to school at MSU in 74-75, they had this cosmic jam band in there called 'jake jones' .. i'll post the poster . but ever since ive had this ideal of mixing a structured show with - i call this my grateful dead concept - with performance art - so that no two shows are the same .. because that will keep ME interested .. i fear my own boredom the most .. and will lead to unexpected discoveries and keep me priming the pump of new music, but without the odious task for editing down whole 'show' tapes .. sort of a DJ under the stars .. i spend so much time out there i quickly learn which tracks on each cd are the good ones, i know which ones can be openers and closers ..

shostakovich - there was ONE from childhood i loved ron, was it the 11th, where these DRUMS beat like crazy

anyway, thats whats behind my concept... gare
mrgare5050

planetarium art is TOO COOL owen! ive made fantasy models, people think im crazy. ron how do you know its set for southern? gare
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 28 2007, 05:17 PM) *
planetarium art is TOO COOL owen! ive made fantasy models, people think im crazy. ron how do you know its set for southern? gare

Because the Sun, Moon, and Saturn cage is set below the central core. If we were projecting the northern hemisphere that cage would be on top.
Strgzr
Don't get me wrong. I didn't say I hated it I just prefer to listen to something else! wink.gif
Ron Walker
QUOTE(Strgzr @ Jun 28 2007, 07:57 PM) *
Don't get me wrong. I didn't say I hated it I just prefer to listen to something else! wink.gif

That's good. tongue.gif I'd hate to think you were a lost cause. laugh.gif wink.gif
Strgzr
Now if you want to talk about music I hate. Than lets talk about Hip-Hop!
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 28 2007, 05:14 PM) *
dang, my radio shack mixer seems to be lacking an 18V ac adapter (wall wart), and radio shack wants 25 bucks for them, plus i didnt know which tip to buy. i bought this mixer 10 years ago and its just sat around.

alright i have mixed feelings about the obvious thing, create a tape of selections and just play it every show.

that sounds frankly CANNED .. why not go a step further (im being devils advocate) and simply record a canned message that my kid can play for people, i wont even have to be there! i see the wisdom of this. and i know that winging presentations is very detectable, especially if you are charging (my current plan vacillates between a buck and 2 bucks a head, with exceptions that chuck recommends in a piece he did for 17. by the way, ive got caught in a bind on 17, i sent ron one, but i was gone a week, now i have no day off to make up for it THIS week, and my day off NEXT week is july 4th, so i cant get to the copy place!

so ... i have this heartfelt memory of bands playing in planetariums - in fact i saved a vintage poster from abrahms where i went to school at MSU in 74-75, they had this cosmic jam band in there called 'jake jones' .. i'll post the poster . but ever since ive had this ideal of mixing a structured show with - i call this my grateful dead concept - with performance art - so that no two shows are the same .. because that will keep ME interested .. i fear my own boredom the most .. and will lead to unexpected discoveries and keep me priming the pump of new music, but without the odious task for editing down whole 'show' tapes .. sort of a DJ under the stars .. i spend so much time out there i quickly learn which tracks on each cd are the good ones, i know which ones can be openers and closers ..

shostakovich - there was ONE from childhood i loved ron, was it the 11th, where these DRUMS beat like crazy

anyway, thats whats behind my concept... gare

Now you know why so many planetariums pre record their entire programs. It's just less pain in the rear.

The biggest problem with not having the sections of music prerecorded and preset is that you never know where the music is running on the various CD players. If I want the sunrise to coincide with the ending section of "The Pines Of Rome", then I want that music to start at exactly that point when my ramblings under the dome require it. This is the great "Catch-22" of the background music problem. Pre-timing the background music makes for a great sounding track but limits ones ramblings to the music timing.

Now, what I haven't thought about before, you could preset each of your CD players at the point you want to use the music and then when you reach that point just push play and fade up. Now I would think you would need as many CD players as you would have selections required during a program. To change a CD and then select a track during a program would surely throw off ones dialog.

That is why having all the selections properly cued and available on an I-pod or a computer program would be the ideal compromise. This will work very well for me as I cannot foresee any program that would be "wall-to-wall" music with no silence at all.

Another plan which would make this even simpler would be to burn a CD with the music I planed to use recorded in sequence. Each cut would start exactly where I wanted it to, but would run for a time considerably longer then planed for in my program. That way it would be simple to fade out a cue after my ramblings were complete for a section, then just advance the CD player to the next cue. The more I think of it, the more I like this idea. It would be ideal for you as well.

As far as Shostakovitch is concerned I think it is #7 the "Leningrad" that has the great drum section. But so much of Shostakovitch is so good that the 11th might have a great section as well. Another great one of his is the 5th.

Never go totally canned (you devil you ohmy.gif ) as it takes the life (literally) out of the program.
mrgare5050

well i hear you ron. heres my concept though. by the way, i found a used new age cd i LOVE .. from the 80's .. would it be unethical to have you just make a couple backup copies for me, for you if you want one, for ken, anyone? is that illegal? i'd hate to lose this one, its gotten under my skin, i can make tape copies but i'd prefer cd

say i go 2 cd system .. i just make an index

cd 1 cd 2

track 1 intro - turn out lights machine music loud
2 slow moody halloween
3 weird strange symphonic buildup
4 soothing big bang

and so on - now they are just looping endlessly - i can see which track is playing on each machine . if im at a point in my 'lecture' (god, gare doesnt lecture) i can think, ok ... bink bink bink track 4 of cd1 (crossfade over) and it plays .. i can switch tracks, i'll have the players at my fingertips .. that sort of thing .. so i can cue the music for when i want it...

bink bink... that means hitting the buttons smile.gif g
mrgare5050

oops - those second descriptions were meant to be under CD2, when i posted it the spaces disappeared

the idea would be to be able to realtime dial up a desired track, which i have a list in front of me of if i dont remember, since a player will display what track number is playing
mrgare5050

i just want the music to be able to follow the talking, instead of the talking having to follow the music

what if a prerecorded show started in on a new 'section' but the old section was delayed by a kid asking a question or if you just wanted to talk a bit longer - of course under this system a cd track playing could end, but it could be 'bink bink' played again
Owen Phairis
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 30 2007, 03:54 AM) *
i just want the music to be able to follow the talking, instead of the talking having to follow the music

what if a prerecorded show started in on a new 'section' but the old section was delayed by a kid asking a question or if you just wanted to talk a bit longer - of course under this system a cd track playing could end, but it could be 'bink bink' played again

I can think of nothing worse than during a pleasant scripted journey through the cosmos, than to have to stop and have a kid ask a question. Or, have a misscue on the music. It would totally ruin the flow and submersion of the audience into the show. I have never yet seen a planetarium show that would allow that to happen. There is a big difference between a 'Planetarium Show' and a 'Planetarium Lecture' where questions are welcomed. Questions are normally allowed only at the end of the 'show' during the exit music.

I also do not watch any unscripted reality shows on TV either, give me a nice tight scripted show and lead me down that pretty prim rose path... That's also what makes for a good movie or book for that matter.

This is, of course, just my own personal views, based on my experiences............

Owen
Spitz A1, A3P, Nova III, GOTO S2
www.pictorialism.com
Ron Walker
QUOTE(Strgzr @ Jun 29 2007, 10:56 AM) *
Now if you want to talk about music I hate. Than lets talk about Hip-Hop!

Well, I've got to admit, it's not my favorite either! tongue.gif
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 30 2007, 03:52 AM) *
oops - those second descriptions were meant to be under CD2, when i posted it the spaces disappeared

the idea would be to be able to realtime dial up a desired track, which i have a list in front of me of if i dont remember, since a player will display what track number is playing

You could do it with exsisting CD's and just pick the track and have it repeat over and over until you did a cross-fade to the 2nd CD player but, I for one, would be so engrossed in making sure I had the right cue up next that I would probably louse track of my talk.

If you wanted the ability to cross-fade, then I would make up two CD's with odd cues on one disc and even cues on the other. Still a lot of work and thinking in my opinion but if that's what you want then go for it.

I personally think one CD with all the cues in order would work without a lot of thinking and/or confusion during a show.
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jun 30 2007, 03:49 AM) *
by the way, i found a used new age cd i LOVE .. from the 80's .. would it be unethical to have you just make a couple backup copies for me, for you if you want one, for ken, anyone? is that illegal? i'd hate to lose this one, its gotten under my skin, i can make tape copies but i'd prefer cd

It is both unethical and illegal, but people do it all the time. This is a bit of a gray area in copyright/performance law.

Since you bought the original copy and the CD is probably "out of print" then you can probably make a "back up copy" for yourself as long as you do not sell it. This is a gray area of copyright law and seldom enforced. People all the time make extra copies of their CD's for use in their car or just copy certain tracks they really like, and make a personal "greatest hits" CD. Heck, the iPOD is designed just to do such a thing.
Ron Walker
QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Jun 30 2007, 09:05 AM) *
I can think of nothing worse than during a pleasant scripted journey through the cosmos, than to have to stop and have a kid ask a question. Or, have a misscue on the music. It would totally ruin the flow and submersion of the audience into the show. I have never yet seen a planetarium show that would allow that to happen. There is a big difference between a 'Planetarium Show' and a 'Planetarium Lecture' where questions are welcomed. Questions are normally allowed only at the end of the 'show' during the exit music.

I also do not watch any unscripted reality shows on TV either, give me a nice tight scripted show and lead me down that pretty prim rose path... That's also what makes for a good movie or book for that matter.

This is, of course, just my own personal views, based on my experiences............

Owen
Spitz A1, A3P, Nova III, GOTO S2
www.pictorialism.com

I understand where your coming from Owen as well as I do Gare. If your giving a show then it should be as "polished" as possible. If your trying to educate, then questions and/or reinforcement of an idea will certainly change the time a particular section of the talk takes.

I know that I would not be very good trying to "perform" a "wall to wall" script live. I would probably have the key words or thoughts I needed to convey written down and then go on from there. Otherwise, for me, a pre recorded program would be best to keep the timing accurate.

Everyone is different and presents their particular way. The idea is to keep presenting and keep the masses interested in the subject and, hopefully, coming back..
Strgzr
I have hundreds of so called "back-up" copies of cd's. So what if there someone else's cd's!
Ron Walker
QUOTE(Strgzr @ Jun 30 2007, 10:28 AM) *
I have hundreds of so called "back-up" copies of cd's. So what if there someone else's cd's!

Your taking food out of the mouth of the original composer and performer! rolleyes.gif unsure.gif huh.gif How can you be so mean and uncaring? wink.gif
Strgzr
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jun 30 2007, 11:01 AM) *
Your taking food out of the mouth of the original composer and performer! rolleyes.gif unsure.gif huh.gif How can you be so mean and uncaring? wink.gif

Have you seen lately what they charge for a concert ticket? They should give their lousy cd's away for free! tongue.gif
mrgare5050

owen i hear you and you are right for that kind of show, and i agree with ron your points also. i guess what i do isnt a 'show' .. i mean, i pass the pointer around - ask kids to find groups of stars and make up their own constellations - then compare them to what the ancients saw . i have a contest who can see the first star - this is after all, i may not have pointed out, mainly a childrens planetarium. i will probably NOT accept a group of teens, and will not be seeking adult groups proactively.

i cannot recreate what sudekum and kris mccall do in downtown nashville, so im not going to try. i want to do something they will remember and yes, im having a quiz at the end.. everybody will know say, 7 basic things when they leave! without violating laws of astronomy mind you, i figure if i build my own yankee stadium, i can play 4 inning games, or wear horizontal pinstripes. that to me is part of the great value in building your own anything, you can be a little different! g
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 1 2007, 11:07 AM) *
owen i hear you and you are right for that kind of show, and i agree with ron your points also. i guess what i do isnt a 'show' .. i mean, i pass the pointer around - ask kids to find groups of stars and make up their own constellations - then compare them to what the ancients saw . i have a contest who can see the first star - this is after all, i may not have pointed out, mainly a childrens planetarium. i will probably NOT accept a group of teens, and will not be seeking adult groups proactively.

i cannot recreate what sudekum and kris mccall do in downtown nashville, so im not going to try. i want to do something they will remember and yes, im having a quiz at the end.. everybody will know say, 7 basic things when they leave! without violating laws of astronomy mind you, i figure if i build my own yankee stadium, i can play 4 inning games, or wear horizontal pinstripes. that to me is part of the great value in building your own anything, you can be a little different! g

Gare, you do what I would call a round-table (round-room) educational discussion. smile.gif There is nothing at all wrong with it. I'm just trying to find an easy way for you to be able to run your music cues without having to take your mind off what's going on in the room.
Ron Walker
QUOTE(Strgzr @ Jun 30 2007, 04:51 PM) *
Have you seen lately what they charge for a concert ticket? They should give their lousy cd's away for free! tongue.gif

Actually, when you put it that way Andy, your right! wink.gif
mrgare5050

my grounding principle if its to stay interesting to ME is .... no two are ever the same!

gares easy principles
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 1 2007, 03:26 PM) *
my grounding principle if its to stay interesting to ME is .... no two are ever the same!

gares easy principles

Then you might have to stay with several CD players as you never really know which way you need to go.
mrgare5050
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jul 1 2007, 11:13 PM) *
Then you might have to stay with several CD players as you never really know which way you need to go.

or the ultimate, is to play keys/guitar LIVE! why not... write some original songs - sell copies on the side .. its the globe theater remember, hotbed of creativity and science, under the stars

referring back to the Likert WEE scale, WONDER EDUCATION ENTERTAINMENT - mine is 9.4.9, teach a few things but be memorable. and looking at kids today, with their 24/7 maelstrom of hooked up ism, its going to have to be something pretty different to break through! gare
Strgzr
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 1 2007, 06:01 PM) *
referring back to the Likert WEE scale, WONDER EDUCATION ENTERTAINMENT - mine is 9.4.9, teach a few things but be memorable. and looking at kids today, with their 24/7 maelstrom of hooked up ism, its going to have to be something pretty different to break through! gare

And Classical isn't going to cut it! wink.gif
mrgare5050
QUOTE(Strgzr @ Jul 2 2007, 03:30 AM) *
And Classical isn't going to cut it! wink.gif

well .. SOME classical parts might.. but this is where im going to have to follow the advice i give so many of my sprint clients - want to reach the up and coming generations? hire a teenager! ive got a 16 yearold son who can perhaps help me cut some cd tracks from todays burgeoning list of new bands

and yes, i might need some hip hop, IF its on subject! ONLY if its on subject. so many of the churches here in the south now do this, its the last thing you might expect from the bible belt but its true- there is a huge emphasis on contemporary music, in this case of course christian, but music is how to reach kids - the ipod generation!

g
mrgare5050

On another note, I listened to the samples of the latest loch ness release cd for planetariums at 20 bucks, and it isnt as good as the old 6 dollar 80's ones i'm picking up at used cd places. I thought it would contain more space 'sounds' .. thats what I intend to try on my own CD using the DX7 keyboard. We need quiet 'celestial' new agey passages, but we need dramatic crazy stuff too! g
Ron Walker
Well, I guess I'm old or old fashioned, (probably both) but I plan to go totally in the other direction. If I can't understand the words of a song, then I'm NOT going to play it. The night sky is more stately then that, it's a study, not a party into the wee hours. This kind of reminds me of the "big planetarium" in downtown Phoenix. They appear to cater to the younger generation to the point that I have no idea what their trying to get across.

I guess I can't get the baby boom generation out of my mind and I guess that's who I'll appeal too as well. Since it is the largest demographic (I believe, for a while anyway) I should be able to find a few who will enjoy my antediluvian presentations. tongue.gif

Classical music in the planetarium chamber forever!!! laugh.gif
Strgzr
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jul 2 2007, 10:03 AM) *
Well, I guess I'm old or old fashioned, (probably both) but I plan to go totally in the other direction. If I can't understand the words of a song, then I'm NOT going to play it. The night sky is more stately then that, it's a study, not a party into the wee hours. This kind of reminds me of the "big planetarium" in downtown Phoenix. They appear to cater to the younger generation to the point that I have no idea what their trying to get across.

I guess I can't get the baby boom generation out of my mind and I guess that's who I'll appeal too as well. Since it is the largest demographic (I believe, for a while anyway) I should be able to find a few who will enjoy my antediluvian presentations. tongue.gif

Then it's probably a good thing that everyone owns one of these mp3 devices now. If they are like me people won't let others choose what they listen to. Same reason I haven't listened to a radio since the walkman cassette player hit the market in 1979. Long live freedom of choice! smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Owen Phairis
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jul 2 2007, 10:03 AM) *

Here, here.. a voice of reason in what otherwise seems to be a world in chaos.
Leave the hard rock to the laserium shows....humm...on the other hand, even the laser shows
are better with the right classical music.....
THANKS Ron!

Owen
www.pictorialism.com
Ron Walker
QUOTE(Strgzr @ Jul 2 2007, 10:38 AM) *
Then it's probably a good thing that everyone owns one of these mp3 devices now. If they are like me people won't let others choose what they listen to. Same reason I haven't listened to a radio since the walkman cassette player hit the market in 1979. Long live freedom of choice! smile.gif
Click to view attachment

I couldn't agree with you more. Even with records and CD's of music you like. How often does one just pick the one or two really good cuts and put them on a special tape or CD for playing whenever.

I just happen to think that classical cuts work better for a planetarium program then other types of music. blink.gif
Strgzr
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jul 2 2007, 11:01 AM) *
I just happen to think that classical cuts work better for a planetarium program then other types of music. blink.gif

Just wake me up after the show Ron. laugh.gif
Ron Walker
QUOTE(Strgzr @ Jul 2 2007, 11:20 AM) *
Just wake me up after the show Ron. laugh.gif

Well, I suppose that you could play your MC3 player with headphones on, but then you'd miss my bor....uh, exciting lecture about AU's and other stuff. Besides with all of the light show how could you fall asleep???? rolleyes.gif
mrgare5050

this is it! everyone with different opinions - these are highly personalized theaters, they absolutely MUST reflect the personality of the builder - i'll be the weird guy ne of nashville who hands out noisemakers .. there'll be that cranky old walker character with his beethoven ... and kids and visitors will REMEMBER us! NOBODY who builds their own planetarium is going to use a cookie cutter approach, buy cookie cutter shows as advertised in the planetarian, you are gonna do it YOUR way, what could be better? because we aint average people - we're STRANGE!

gare, who perhaps should speak for hisself smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.