Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grand Theatre! But What Goes into one?
Observatory Central > Planetarium Forum > Planetariums as a hobby > Planetarium Presentations ~ programs, education, music, and effects
Pages: 1, 2, 3
mrgare5050

Did I spell theatre right, is it theater? Theres a topic for a room, a PLACE to put your installation - but this topic is for the accourtments .. I'm facing this as I picture kids in here before summers out

Directional Indicators .. do I need an exit sign, I'm outside city zoning but could a fire marshall frown upon me? More on seating seems needed, we see benches, chopped chairs ..

entrance/exits... exterior lighting .. i need lights i can hit as i go in, and i can cut from the control area .. horizon bays vs silhouettes .. projector lighting .. im employing light ropes, i want a spectacular first impression, plus something for small kids to look at as the lights go out so they dont scream!

my father in law circled my large shed last summer and muttered - whats this, the Globe Theatre?

why yes, its the Sumner Skies theatre actually

flashbacks to childhood movies .. ushers .. flashlights .. my old theatre, you crawled on the floor - this is bigger

what to do? are there theatre supply websites? huh? gare
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ May 26 2007, 06:32 AM) *
Did I spell theatre right, is it theater? Theres a topic for a room, a PLACE to put your installation - but this topic is for the accourtments .. I'm facing this as I picture kids in here before summers out

Directional Indicators .. do I need an exit sign, I'm outside city zoning but could a fire marshall frown upon me? More on seating seems needed, we see benches, chopped chairs ..

entrance/exits... exterior lighting .. i need lights i can hit as i go in, and i can cut from the control area .. horizon bays vs silhouettes .. projector lighting .. im employing light ropes, i want a spectacular first impression, plus something for small kids to look at as the lights go out so they dont scream!

my father in law circled my large shed last summer and muttered - whats this, the Globe Theatre?

flashbacks to childhood movies .. ushers .. flashlights .. my old theatre, you crawled on the floor - this is bigger

I do believe theater is spelled both ways. I seem to remember the theatre is for "legitimate" live Broadway type theatre and that theater is for "canned" mechanically reproduced entertainment like motion pictures. It's interesting that we as planetarians are really a mixture of both. A live lecturer using a mechanical reproduction of the night sky. Since I have a soft spot in my heart for movies, I will call it theater. (I could be 180* out of phase on this, but I've been calling it theater so long I'm not about to change now.) blink.gif

An exit sign whose light level can be changed would be ideal. If there were an emergency, you would be very happy you had it. I believe that most planetariums have the light level controller with the daylight level inside the dome. As we go to night the brightness of the exit sign drops. You could also have an emergency switch that instantaneously brings the signs up to full brilliance as well as the room lights.

Since your giving public performances I think it would be important to have two exits on opposite sides of the dome, just in case the main one gets blocked. This does not have to be used unless there is a true emergency.

Using simple "three way" light switches you can control some main lighting from outside as well as inside the building. I would also have a main cutoff switch inside so you can disable the outside switch. That way no one can turn the house lights on during a show. My feeling is that you would use these lights only for yourself as you first enter or leave the chamber. Once inside (and before the audience is allowed in) you would put on the normal day sky (with clouds perhaps) and I always plan to turn on the Sun projector as well in the exact time of day the program is given.

Do you get along well with your father in law??? Or perhaps does he have a subtle sense of humor???
Shakespeare's Globe theater was not built well at all, and if memory serves me correctly, it burned down at least once during a performance. Perhaps I'm confusing it with something else. I tend to see the negative in any comment whether intended or not.

There are a lot of suppliers of theater equipment. One place to start is:

http://www.theatreservice.com/
Strgzr
My dictionary says:

the·a·ter or the·a·tre (th-tr)
n.
1. A building, room, or outdoor structure for the presentation of plays, films, or other dramatic performances.
2. A room with tiers of seats used for lectures or demonstrations: an operating theater at a medical school.
a. Dramatic literature or its performance; drama: the theater of Shakespeare and Marlowe.
b. The milieu of actors and playwrights.
a. The quality or effectiveness of a theatrical production: good theater; awful theater.
b. Dramatic material or the use of such material: "His summation was a great piece of courtroom theater" Ron Rosenbaum.
5. The audience assembled for a dramatic performance.
6. A place that is the setting for dramatic events.
7. A large geographic area in which military operations are coordinated: the European theater during World War II.
mrgare5050

no the old man in law is cool, a shakespear nut, so he was apparently referring to the original and reconstructed shakespears globe, which is from the outside a large round structure. VERY INTERESTINGLY, the original globe was open air, meaning the stars WERE shining down upon and into it! theres a show right there!

As in the original Globe, the theatre is open to the sky and has a thrust stage that projects into a large circular yard surrounded by three tiers of steeply raked seating. 600 tickets to stand (and you must stand, no sitting allowed) in the yard are available for every performance at 5 pounds each. The only covered parts of the amphitheatre are the stage and the (more expensive) seated areas. Plays are put on during the summer, usually between May and the first week of October. In the winter the theatre is used for educational purposes. Tours are available all year round.

two exits is a good idea but more work.. i do have one transparent exit sign i can light up, im sure they are easy to buy, i'll check your website ron

the issues are copied, including both versions of page 1 of issue 1, where i changed logos. shakesgare
Ron Walker
QUOTE(Strgzr @ May 26 2007, 12:17 PM) *
My dictionary says:

the·a·ter or the·a·tre (th-tr)
n.
1. A building, room, or outdoor structure for the presentation of plays, films, or other dramatic performances.
2. A room with tiers of seats used for lectures or demonstrations: an operating theater at a medical school.
a. Dramatic literature or its performance; drama: the theater of Shakespeare and Marlowe.
b. The milieu of actors and playwrights.
a. The quality or effectiveness of a theatrical production: good theater; awful theater.
b. Dramatic material or the use of such material: "His summation was a great piece of courtroom theater" Ron Rosenbaum.
5. The audience assembled for a dramatic performance.
6. A place that is the setting for dramatic events.
7. A large geographic area in which military operations are coordinated: the European theater during World War II.

Well you learn something everyday. I would never have thought to call an audience a theater. blink.gif
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ May 26 2007, 05:54 PM) *
no the old man in law is cool, a shakespear nut, so he was apparently referring to the original and reconstructed shakespears globe, which is from the outside a large round structure. VERY INTERESTINGLY, the original globe was open air, meaning the stars WERE shining down upon and into it! theres a show right there!

As in the original Globe, the theatre is open to the sky and has a thrust stage that projects into a large circular yard surrounded by three tiers of steeply raked seating. 600 tickets to stand (and you must stand, no sitting allowed) in the yard are available for every performance at 5 pounds each. The only covered parts of the amphitheatre are the stage and the (more expensive) seated areas. Plays are put on during the summer, usually between May and the first week of October. In the winter the theatre is used for educational purposes. Tours are available all year round.

two exits is a good idea but more work.. i do have one transparent exit sign i can light up, im sure they are easy to buy, i'll check your website ron

the issues are copied, including both versions of page 1 of issue 1, where i changed logos. shakesgare

Five Pounds for a ticket to the Globe!!! Wow, you had to be rich to go see a play. And you had to stand as well!!! I'm not going to that theater!!! Or is the place open now and that is a contemporary price? I still wouldn't pay $10 to stand for three hours to see King Lear! History or no history. And as often as it rains across the pond...not worth the experience as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure why your FIL called it the Globe, considering that it is not round and certainly not open to the air.

Some exit signs can be edge lit with one or two LED's. Thus they are not so bright that they become distracting and yet can be seen easily.

Looking forward to the issues.
mrgare5050

[/quote]

i'll send all 16, im looking at software next to take the newsletter online, with a printout/mail option, im leaning towards constantcontact.com so far but still shopping around. ron, if you put them on a CD, how will they format Im wondering, what software will view them? I know not much of these matters ..

ive actually got a short story that comes to mind with this open air thing .. an old spitz gets to see the real stars .. just as its retired ..

went by sudekum in downtown nash yesterday, kris macalls place ... an ENORMOUS iron ring is going up for her 60 footer!

theater! shakespear must have spoken of the stars ... good topic for Dome-L, where some guy just asked if he should let star-trek groups use his facility! actually smith had a starship enterprise flyover projector, its sitting in the shed.. g
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ May 27 2007, 05:12 PM) *
i'll send all 16, im looking at software next to take the newsletter online, with a printout/mail option, im leaning towards constantcontact.com so far but still shopping around. ron, if you put them on a CD, how will they format Im wondering, what software will view them? I know not much of these matters ..

ive actually got a short story that comes to mind with this open air thing .. an old spitz gets to see the real stars .. just as its retired ..

went by sudekum in downtown nash yesterday, kris macalls place ... an ENORMOUS iron ring is going up for her 60 footer!

theater! shakespear must have spoken of the stars ... good topic for Dome-L, where some guy just asked if he should let star-trek groups use his facility! actually smith had a starship enterprise flyover projector, its sitting in the shed.. g

I know enough about computers just to keep up with my need to know. wink.gif It seems that when I just learn one program well enough to use it, they go and change everything.

Well, anyway, I digress. I'm thinking something that can be opened in Word or perhaps a PDF file that most everyone can open.

A 60 foot dome is very substantial. As I remember Adler is 68 feet, so it should be fantastic when finished. Do you know what projector they will go with?

You must have a good rapport with Dome-L as you get your messages published. Most of mine never get past the censor. laugh.gif I guess I don't rate up there with the pros.

Now you have to use the Starship Enterprise projector (with the music), I'm sure it will be a hit with the audience.
mrgare5050

well met hail! just back from central florida, where i visited the Kennedy Space Center yesterday, and of course had the camera searching for planetarium ideas in the various way cool exhibits and theaters there. Look here, in the Saturn V complex, the first room is this mural on the wall - its painted on - but lit as to make it VERY real looking sunset - maybe i should try this - paint an orange sky with clouds .. then as it goes dark, the stars will project right over it? during the film, this mural was barely lit and looked white - i dont know if you can see the glowing moon - of course the rocket wouldnt be needed, the person is there for scale - i had always thought a sunset would have to be projected, but now i'm wondering if it just cant be painted on and illuminated. ive got a half test dome in another section of the barn, i may try this! I have various other space center shots, an enormous ceramic starball floating on a bed of water included! gare in the field

Click to view attachment
mrgare5050

heres another view of the mural, albeit fuzzier, fuzzy photography is my specialty!

Click to view attachment
Ron Walker
Welcome home!

I really like the idea of a projected image as it can be easily changed. If anything is permanently painted there is really no way that you can get rid of it other then total darkness. Even a few stars projected will not look right and when the Milky Way is projected over the sunset, the color will come through.
mrgare5050
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jul 30 2007, 12:30 AM) *
Welcome home!

thanks! also went to universal studios, lots of movie magic you'd love ron. the space center simply brings tears to my eyes, seeing a saturn five and all that, i grew up on it all as i bet most here did

I really like the idea of a projected image as it can be easily changed. If anything is permanently painted there is really no way that you can get rid of it other then total darkness. Even a few stars projected will not look right and when the Milky Way is projected over the sunset, the color will come through.

but to project those deep oranges .. i guess youre right but might still try a thing or two. i really want to see what will and wont work in the way of clouds. by the way, i got 6 blue led nightlights, perfect for those icebergs we've talked about

gare, master of sun and ice

Ron Walker
You can always add filters to make the clouds look more saturated. There is so much that can be done to make a projection look better and better.
mrgare5050

I think ive got a leftover fascination with models and 3d things which perhaps leads me more toward fixed objects rather than projecting EVERYTHING, and I know that has limitations.. anything FIXED lacks flexibility. But i have abandoned the idea of rotating directions in my fixed theater, my partial solution to my own possible boredom in the same ol sky is not to fix my control area - i can move my own area easily (well, not easily, its amazing how quickly i accumulated 9 power strips and probably a mile of extension cords!) . i can move my own area over to the east side, or over by the door. i have thus far resisted the temptation to build any kind of permanent 'booth' or 'stage', which was initially in my thoughts. I cultivated these 'theater' fantasies in the barn proper, where for 10 years my band had a stage, dancefloor, light booth - all since scrapped, but you can still see the remnants of 14 parties on the ceiling, crepe paper, where i had strobes mounted etc . this all has colored my thinking on a planetarium theater somewhat.

the same issue comes into play with silhouettes vs actual models of buildings etc.. in my first theater i had raided the model railroad store and cut model houses in half, painting them black etc - i find these (saved from the 9 foot demolition) wont really work with the larger dome, they are too small to be noticed .

Its really a fascinating area that charles and i were touching on with the use of shadows . how much is real, how much is simultated, projected . ron you seem more of a purist in that you wish it all to be under complete control, and thats the more practical way surely, and you have the skills! im out there trying to convert dollar store viewmaster projectors etc, and perhaps do best with a combination of things. i have an unresolved urge to build a model railroad that lurks in the background as well, who was it here that said they had a O gauge setup? Those models loom large in my subconscious, even back to the old Museum of Sci and Industry in Chicago with their wonderful ship models. I guess we each bring our own backgrounds into play with what we are creating in our own 'theaters of the fantastic'! gare
mrgare5050

well i tried it and ron was right, it didnt work. i took flourescent (who can spell that) red and orange paint, painted my western sky in sunset fashion, with distant black edged clouds .. under very dim light with a red flashlight doubling as the sun, it looked pretty real.. BUT.. as ron pointed out, it screws up the star projection, it makes a darker blob under the stars which is quite noticeable - so tonight i'll have to paint white back over it and try to figure out how to project a realistic sunset!

gare, no michelangelo
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 31 2007, 03:28 AM) *
well i tried it and ron was right, it didnt work. i took flourescent (who can spell that) red and orange paint, painted my western sky in sunset fashion, with distant black edged clouds .. under very dim light with a red flashlight doubling as the sun, it looked pretty real.. BUT.. as ron pointed out, it screws up the star projection, it makes a darker blob under the stars which is quite noticeable - so tonight i'll have to paint white back over it and try to figure out how to project a realistic sunset!

gare, no michelangelo

The great thing about a white screen is that you can project anything from any time in the past to the future instantaneously. It's the only way to go. Before you paint your sunset over, take a slide of it so you can use it over and over again.

Clouds are a lot easier to project then the Titanic which I think is a great idea with the icebergs lit from within. Each different presentation requires its own design and interpretation of which does best.
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 30 2007, 05:46 AM) *
I think ive got a leftover fascination with models and 3d things which perhaps leads me more toward fixed objects rather than projecting EVERYTHING, and I know that has limitations.. anything FIXED lacks flexibility. But i have abandoned the idea of rotating directions in my fixed theater, my partial solution to my own possible boredom in the same ol sky is not to fix my control area - i can move my own area easily (well, not easily, its amazing how quickly i accumulated 9 power strips and probably a mile of extension cords!) . i can move my own area over to the east side, or over by the door. i have thus far resisted the temptation to build any kind of permanent 'booth' or 'stage', which was initially in my thoughts. I cultivated these 'theater' fantasies in the barn proper, where for 10 years my band had a stage, dancefloor, light booth - all since scrapped, but you can still see the remnants of 14 parties on the ceiling, crepe paper, where i had strobes mounted etc . this all has colored my thinking on a planetarium theater somewhat.

the same issue comes into play with silhouettes vs actual models of buildings etc.. in my first theater i had raided the model railroad store and cut model houses in half, painting them black etc - i find these (saved from the 9 foot demolition) wont really work with the larger dome, they are too small to be noticed .

Its really a fascinating area that charles and i were touching on with the use of shadows . how much is real, how much is simultated, projected . ron you seem more of a purist in that you wish it all to be under complete control, and thats the more practical way surely, and you have the skills! im out there trying to convert dollar store viewmaster projectors etc, and perhaps do best with a combination of things. i have an unresolved urge to build a model railroad that lurks in the background as well, who was it here that said they had a O gauge setup? Those models loom large in my subconscious, even back to the old Museum of Sci and Industry in Chicago with their wonderful ship models. I guess we each bring our own backgrounds into play with what we are creating in our own 'theaters of the fantastic'! gare

I'm not at all sure how much of a "purist" I am but being in control all the time is true. I have found out that enough things go wrong even when you think your in control to at least not try for total control. tongue.gif

I'm surprised the model buildings look too small for your big dome. As I remember the original building cutouts at the Adler were not much over six inches high and looked very realistic in a 68 foot dome.

I believe it was Brent that mentioned a model train set up. I still have a set that my dad bought just after the war. It still comes out around Christmas time to chug its way around the tree.

That marvelous set up at the MoS&I in Chicago was actually hand built. The gage was narrower then "O" but larger then "HO". I spent many an hour in my youth drooling over that set up. huh.gif
mrgare5050

i was wanting SOMETHING on the exterior of my theater building and found at the newly opened 'trees and things' for 10 bucks a sun architecural piece if you will to mark it as a star building!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Ron Walker
I like the Sun Gare! smile.gif

Actually makes me think of an addition to a program about the Sun and how different cultures interpreted it. Is it Mayan in origin or just an artists rendition? I can see that and other interpretations (a chariot carrying the sun across the sky, another of the great god Ra) projected over the planetarium Sun as part of the introduction to a presentation about the Sun.

Do they have anything like that to represent the Moon? Having the two would be kind of like the smile and frown masks that represent live theater.

Anyway, adds a nice touch.
mrgare5050
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Sep 6 2007, 02:50 PM) *
I like the Sun Gare! smile.gif

Actually makes me think of an addition to a program about the Sun and how different cultures interpreted it. Is it Mayan in origin or just an artists rendition? I can see that and other interpretations (a chariot carrying the sun across the sky, another of the great god Ra) projected over the planetarium Sun as part of the introduction to a presentation about the Sun.

Do they have anything like that to represent the Moon? Having the two would be kind of like the smile and frown masks that represent live theater.

Anyway, adds a nice touch.

ive been looking for large space art for awhile, this was the only one they had, with this sort of thing i could easily go overboard. but the sun god had come to mind, this is where whimsical meets historical i suppose.. the sun perhaps is the most (ironically) overlooked star in a planetarium, its the 899 pound gorilla sitting in the living room with a shade on his head!

i DO need a moon though.

so we add another hat for the home planetarium personist ... exterior decorator....
Ron Walker
We are trully, "Jacks of all trades." Sort of fits in with, "Masters of none." Just hope I can, "Fool all of the people some of the time." wink.gif
jukingeo
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ May 26 2007, 08:32 AM) *

Hello Gary,

Both spellings of theatre are correct. The way I spell it is the old way and the way you are likely to see theatre spelled on a marquee of a theatre from the 20's to about the 40's. By the 50's most theatres are spelled the new way, theater. Generally either way is correct. Center used to be spelled centre as well. I never looked into why this came about, but I am sure there must be a wiki on it on-line.

In terms of a personal theatre installation that you are going to open to the public, you are going to need certain things in place. For one the first thing you have to think of is fire and evacuation. You are probably going to have to consult your local fire marshal. He/she will tell you what you need to have in place. In rare cases you may be instructed to install some sort of sprinkler system as studies show that a sprinkler suppression system can greatly increase the chance of survival and successful evacuation.

With evacuation in mind, I would say that the general rule is that you must be able to evacuate your building within less than 90 seconds. You WILL need to have your exits marked and more then likely those exit signs must be lit at all times (you can probably dim them during a show, but they must be on in some way shape or form). It may be a good idea to also have dimable rope lights around the perimeter or at least leading to the exit. Not only is this a must for evacuation, but also if someone returns to the auditorium after visiting the rest room or the concession area. A dimly lit base molding (for a rear walkway) or cove would do the trick.

Granted you may NOT have to go this crazy with lighting and it does depend on the capacity of your theatre as well. Your fire marshal will know best.

Oh, it goes without saying that any building that hosts a public performance MUST be outfited with fire extinquishers.

Your fire marshal will also point out anything flamable that may be present. Avoid the foam "egg carton" packing material like the plague. That stuff is like solid gasoline. (You may have heard about the Rhode Island-Great White band fire a few years back...this stuff was determined to be the accelerant in the fire).

Now of course there are other variances and permits you would need to 'legally' run an operation. Some things you can forgo...but NEVER forgo a visit from the fire marshal. In the very least you can get the best advice there is to perform and orderly evacuation in the event of an emergency and you can get everyone out of your building safely. That is the primary concern and it is something that should never be taken lightly or skipped, no matter how small your operation is.

Geo
mrgare5050
well since i heaved my retro legacy speaker towers out of the door today, i freed up some space thats unpainted (yes, i painted around the speakers), so i think i'll make a second 'emergency' exit there with a chair in front of it. another exit sign too

11's better than 10, innit g
mrgare5050
What was that guy talking about in Jan 2008? Ive ripped apart the interior of 'sumner skies planetarium', this is a seldom discussed topic since most do not HAVE permanent home planetariums .. I'm practicing for that day when my repeat customers will expect something new.. or will they? Maybe they will want everything the same for 20 years.. but I GOT BORED with it .. g
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 24 2009, 04:54 PM) *
What was that guy talking about in Jan 2008? Ive ripped apart the interior of 'sumner skies planetarium', this is a seldom discussed topic since most do not HAVE permanent home planetariums .. I'm practicing for that day when my repeat customers will expect something new.. or will they? Maybe they will want everything the same for 20 years.. but I GOT BORED with it .. g

Pictures!!!! You're absolutely right and I for one have been using building a larger permanent structure as an excuse for not working on some of the smaller ones. While I wait for the wheels of government to turn I must get something working.

What are you doing with your dome?
jukingeo
High Guys!

I was surprised to find a reply to this thread. Sorry I been a stranger here, with the kids growing up, I put most minor projects on hold.

No I never did find the perfect 'starfield' for my boys room. At any rate that house has been sold and my family has moved into the basement apt of my parent's home. The ceiling is much lower there, so unfortunately no starfield down there. But, always looking up to mother nature and the Grand Dame's real McCoy.

So Gary...redoing your backyard planetarium?

How are the rest of you guys doing this summer?

Geo
mrgare5050
Welcome back Geo, and Ronbo .. aka Walker Enterprises CEO ..

Geo, I lived in my sisters basement on two occasions in the 70s when the parents split back to st. louis and i was in between terms at MSU (watching Jake Jones and Full Moon Consort google them!) at the Abrahms.. I could wax lengthy on basements ... the farm alas lacks one

Heres the conundrum ... industrious home planetariumoids are tinkering tinkering tinkering and the few that survive dome pergatory and mass enough good junk and dont just sit on the dusty shelf (all trademark terms mind you) ... they finally build a theater .. a grand theater.. the GLOBE theater .. but then it doesnt change and they tinker awhile and then ... a dark star chamber is like king tuts tomb . it gets predictable!

first i thought .. i'd rip out EVERYTHING along the perimeter .. and put in seats seats seats ! like fenway park putting in seats on top the Green Monster .. Id had several addled thoughts of tearing down the entire bizarre structure and starting from scratch, but that would be like most copout ballparks, build a bigger one next to the old one .. if i build a bigger one, the old one will still be there gathering ivy ..

but now i miss my massed speakers and computers and effects and stuff .. I find I cant really sit in the middle with peeps all around me, my theater isnt THAT big..

so frankly I dont know what to do ... ive worked on the visitor center for almost 2 years g

jukingeo
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 27 2009, 10:19 PM) *

Geo, I lived in my sisters basement on two occasions in the 70s when the parents split back to st. louis and i was in between terms at MSU (watching Jake Jones and Full Moon Consort google them!) at the Abrahms.. I could wax lengthy on basements ... the farm alas lacks one

Well, first time for me living in a basement. The trouble is the economy and the current financial situation with my family. The children forced my wife out of work, so she spends her day watching them. I took a heavy pay cut and now I am working mostly on commission rather than getting a salary. So I had to sell my home. I was lucky though and in February I did get a buyer for the house. So the good thing is that even though we didn't get away with much money in the transaction, we at least DID sell the house and our credit is fully intact.

So the living accommodations are adequate right now, but it is a bit 'tight' at times. My parent's home isn't as large as the home I sold. Most of our items are in storage right now. I have not been doing much in terms of projects lately, but I am thinking about building a couple of tube amps for myself. Mostly I been catching up on some games I bought for my Playstation, but never got around to playing.

Heres the conundrum ... industrious home planetariumoids are tinkering tinkering tinkering and the few that survive dome pergatory and mass enough good junk and dont just sit on the dusty shelf (all trademark terms mind you) ... they finally build a theater .. a grand theater.. the GLOBE theater .. but then it doesnt change and they tinker awhile and then ... a dark star chamber is like king tuts tomb . it gets predictable!

Ahhh....the problem lies in the programming. I have noticed this with real planetariums and they have a tendency to fall into that trap. It is the programming that counts above all else (needless to say, I don't have to remind you of the story of the truly GOOD performance I witnessed at the Vanderbilt Planetarium).

first i thought .. i'd rip out EVERYTHING along the perimeter .. and put in seats seats seats ! like fenway park putting in seats on top the Green Monster .. Id had several addled thoughts of tearing down the entire bizarre structure and starting from scratch, but that would be like most copout ballparks, build a bigger one next to the old one .. if i build a bigger one, the old one will still be there gathering ivy ..

Hmmmm, dunno about the last line, both Yankee and Shea will be torn down (I believe Shea is gone already). That is valuable parking space. Analogy aside the point is you probably will want to use reuse the space.

but now i miss my massed speakers and computers and effects and stuff .. I find I cant really sit in the middle with peeps all around me, my theater isnt THAT big..

As I recall were you using bean bag chairs, or did you have small legged chairs in which people would somewhat sit down close to the floor? Well, that is quite a few outstreached legs that could make you somewhat feel closed in. But I do agree that the central location is probably not the most ideal. By right you should be on the side...as is the case with most planetariums. But I understand that your wall height restricts that from being feasible.

Oh! I know, why not dig a work pit! Yup, go down instead of building up. This way it gets you out of the center and on the side wall where you belong. You would just go down enough to accomodate a couple of stools. Keep the equipment at what would normally be at slighly lower than 'desk level'. Your head level would be about that of the sitting 'guests'...but you would be standing. That might be a more feasible way to getting you out of the middle without tearing the whole thing apart. But there is something you have to take into consideration with that approach and that is drainage...otherwise you will find yourself standing in water the most of the time. Not a good thing when working with electrical equipment.

so frankly I dont know what to do ... ive worked on the visitor center for almost 2 years g

How did that come along?

I know that thinking of new programs isn't that easy when you have a theatre that has a given function. Unlike a regular theatre which can be conformed to whatever show you want to put on, a planetarium's use is more fixed...so you do have to rely on programming more than anything else.

If you are out of ideas...listen to what your fans or "dome patrons" have to say. Sometimes you can get the best ideas from them.

Oh! We DID discuss laser light shows, right? It is a staple at the Vanderbilt.

So yeah, it has been a while since I was here last, but I DO poke my head in from time to time.

Have a good day!
mrgare5050
geo im laughing .. more soon, only got a second but yesterday a saw a woman in a t-shirt that said

allright already THATS ENOUGH COWBELL
jukingeo
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 28 2009, 01:45 PM) *
geo im laughing .. more soon, only got a second but yesterday a saw a woman in a t-shirt that said

allright already THATS ENOUGH COWBELL

Yeah, I am going to change that. The hype has died down a bit. Back when I first signed up here that was a big thing still going around. Lately though NBC (Hosts of SNL (Saturday Night Live)) has been pulling most of the original skits off the internet because it goes against copyrights. So as time goes on, less and less people are going to be able to see it on the web. SNL has a 'Greatest Moments' CD and of course the "More Cowbell" skit is on it. They want people to buy it, of course. So lately it is hard to find the full version on the internet. There are some obscure sites that still have the skit, but either the video/sound quality is terrible or you end up getting pop-ups galore on your computer!
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 27 2009, 07:19 PM) *

We had a basement in the house I grew up in, in Chicago. The house was a two flat (my grandparents lived up stairs) with an attic and a crawl space my grandfather half dug out to make a basement. This was a Gothic basement not a nice living space, and did wonders for my imagination and appreciation for "things that go bump in the night". Other then being terrified what I remember most about our basement was it flooding every time we had a good rain. More food for my imagination as what lived in the pitch black waters was not to be trifled with. The attic was not much better as it was illuminated by a single forty watt light bulb at the apex at one end which did nothing but make long dark shadows for outcasts from the basement to live in. I mention all of this basically to agree with Geo in that if you build down it will flood eventually.

From my own point of view (in dome purgatory), I can't imaging demolition of an existing dome once built without another existing version available for retreat which is certainly needed from time to time. When you dismantled your original nine foot (I believe) dome it was understandable as you had your new one. Perhaps not having any dome at all generates this opinion and once having one for a period of time will generate the same feelings for change. I do believe, however, that I would want the new improved version up and operable before the older tried and true version was removed from service.

Ah, we all do weave are own webs and must watch out that we are not caught in them. I keep telling myself that I must get something, anything, up and running but always seem to find some excuse for not doing so. I really must be terrified to actually finish anything, because then I must perform and I'm not at all sure that I will be capable.

Anyway, off subject. Build the new before removing the old is what I'm trying to say.
jukingeo
Ok, let's try the new avatar and signature out for size....

Ahhh, yes. A little darker theme is in order. In case you are wondering my new avatar is the Joker from (Batman) The Dark Knight.

jukingeo
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Jul 28 2009, 04:07 PM) *
We had a basement in the house I grew up in, in Chicago. The house was a two flat (my grandparents lived up stairs) with an attic and a crawl space my grandfather half dug out to make a basement. This was a Gothic basement not a nice living space, and did wonders for my imagination and appreciation for "things that go bump in the night". Other then being terrified what I remember most about our basement was it flooding every time we had a good rain. More food for my imagination as what lived in the pitch black waters was not to be trifled with. The attic was not much better as it was illuminated by a single forty watt light bulb at the apex at one end which did nothing but make long dark shadows for outcasts from the basement to live in. I mention all of this basically to agree with Geo in that if you build down it will flood eventually.

Ahhh, yes, the crawlspace type basements. Yup, very dark and creepy. In my parent's home the basement is largely finished and was so when I was a kid. Now it is more like 80% finished as opposed to 50% finished back then. I never liked the unfinished side as a kid. Both the clothes dryer and the furnace scared me as both were gas fed, thus there was the element of 'flame' in the mix. When the dryer would jump on, the flame would shoot out the vent in the front. The furnace was worse, because it literally made a roaring sound when it's flame came on. Needless to say that is scary for a 6 year old.

The attic was different...I had fun with that one. I usually would camp out in the attic on cool days. The summer was out of the question as it got hot enough up there to cook a can of corned beef hash. But we installed an attic fan and as I grew older in my teens sometimes I just would go up in the attic to say "I was looking for something" and I would just lay down and watch the attic fan spin.

From my own point of view (in dome purgatory), I can't imaging demolition of an existing dome once built without another existing version available for retreat which is certainly needed from time to time. When you dismantled your original nine foot (I believe) dome it was understandable as you had your new one. Perhaps not having any dome at all generates this opinion and once having one for a period of time will generate the same feelings for change. I do believe, however, that I would want the new improved version up and operable before the older tried and true version was removed from service.

Depends on the space. Usually when I switched gears for projects, the old project had to be done away with first.

Ah, we all do weave are own webs and must watch out that we are not caught in them. I keep telling myself that I must get something, anything, up and running but always seem to find some excuse for not doing so. I really must be terrified to actually finish anything, because then I must perform and I'm not at all sure that I will be capable.

Performing is hard at first. It is like riding a bike, once you get underway it gets better. Usually you will always get 'butterflies' every time a show starts which is natural. But that feeling usually goes away once your show gets under way. You get the butterflies because you worry that something will go wrong or you will do something wrong in front of many people. The best thing to do is just be prepared. Keep in mind that you are in show business and making light of a mishap or ensuring you have enough "backup" in place to avoid mishap are just parts of the program (pun intended). The "show must go on" is an important adage to live by. Bottom line is that the more you are prepared to handle a situation, the better you will recover from it. The best recoveries are the ones the people DON'T know about. That is skill.

I can say that for the most part, for any successful show, you should have at least one other person helping you. Even in a small backyard show it is nice to have another set of helping hands, another head and another pair of eyes and ears. Someone else could very well pick on a problem you missed and vice versa. So this will keep problems down to a minimum.

If you are a behind the scenes guy (which is the spot I prefer), then hook up with a friend that you know that is good with entertaining people. Have him/her be your "mic" guy or M.C. I have had that many times when I was a DJ. I COULD be the front guy, but I found out that presence was lacking. I knew I needed an M.C. So, I found my place as the guy that controls the rigs and the music and got a front guy who was VERY good with entertaining. We worked together well and the show ran well.

Bottom line, don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. A little help can improve your show quite a bit.

Geo

P.S. BTW can anyone guess what song the line in my signature is from?
mrgare5050
im not tearing down the building or the dome, thats exactly what i WAS saying, they tore down old comisky, old busch, old yankee stadium after the new ones opened next door, but i say leave them both! Im just redoing the interior layout, somehow

geo? enter sandman!
mrgare5050
Yall have me thinking of basement stories though ...

as a small child in st. louis, a kid down the hill claimed to have 'jeffrys ghost' in his basement ... we all went down there, turned out the lights, and I can still hear everyone scream

in villa park IL, my friend cross Holly Court had an old cellar like basement that was great, his dad had all these ancient motor testors and we'd play mad scientist, then they took an old kitchen table and cut a 'hatch' in the top, so we converted it into a submarine and tank ... THEN he gets this tripod toy machine gun, and wed take turns crawling round the place in the dark while the 'gunner' tried to catch us .. he also had this 'pikes peak' road race set down there .. he had electric football, which i loved ... i remember him showing me a superball down there

in our more modern house cross the street, we had a split level basement that flooded just like you are talking .. in an indelible image, all our 10000 piece puzzles flooded and were floating (their pictures removed) in the water ....

in my parents basement in st louis it was a 5000 can beercan collection and pingpong .. in my two basements before the farm it was washing machines walking out across the floor and pool tables ..

ah basements! gare
SteveDurham
Basements....I'll wade right in....

The only time our basement flooded was when the public works sewer main got plugged, it would back up into the "cellar". The back flo prevention device never did work right.

Dad's workbench was in the cellar. As was the washer and dryer, after the removal of the coal bin. The bin could hold 2 dump truck loads of coal.

I used to experiment with chain reactions in the cellar. I'd cut hundreds of pieces of wax paper, 2 inches by 4 inches and place them in the shape of a tree. Light the trunk at night and watch the fire spread from branch to branch. I got caught once, the smell wafted up thru the floor vents right under Dad's nose. Couldn't sit down easy for a couple days. Haven't played with matches much since.
jukingeo
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 29 2009, 07:05 PM) *
im not tearing down the building or the dome, thats exactly what i WAS saying, they tore down old comisky, old busch, old yankee stadium after the new ones opened next door, but i say leave them both! Im just redoing the interior layout, somehow

Heck if you have the room, go for it. In fact if you plan it carefully, maybe you don't have to take the first dome down...you could use it for something else such as something for a 'pre show' or a cool concession area.

geo? enter sandman!

Yup, I guess you know your rock very well. I am not a big Metallica fan, nor do I care for Heavy Metal. A friend of mine got married and believe it or not, they closed his wedding with this song. I found myself dancing to it too! But I did remember that line and it stuck out like a sore thumb. It is something an evil Peter Pan would say and sometimes I AM an evil Peter Pan! Enter Sandman was one of the few Metallica songs they play on the classic rock station near me. I think it is the only Metallica song that made it to the mainstream. I like it because it has a cool AC/DC like beat to it...AND I LOVE AC/DC! But I have quite a few favorites when it comes to rock, but I do predominately like the "supergroups" from the 70's and early 80's: Rolling Stones, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Rush, Styx, The Who, Beatles, etc.

I have a VERY wide scope of interest when it comes to music as I was a DJ. I pretty much will listen to most music from the 50's on to the early 90's. As I said, I normally don't care for heavy metal, but even worse than that is rap music. I can't stand rap and drum & beat music. It doesn't jive with my brainwave patterns. In planetarium parlance, rap music is like a black hole: It is heavy, dense, no substance, but still sucks the younger generations in.

Yeah, I know...when it comes to music I get very opinionated on the stuff I don't like. The good thing is though I do like a good majority of the early stuff out there. Not too much today's music. I grew up in the 70's and 80's, so naturally I like that music the best.

Speaking of your planetarium show & music, Gary, I think you could find some really cool music from Pink Floyd to use in a show. Rush too. In the 80's both groups really were heavy into spacey keyboard sounds. Both groups used the incredible sounding Oberheim OB-X synthesizer which is known for it's fat spacey sounds. The heavy keyboard intro to Ozzy's Mr. Crowley is really cool too (but that was done on a Minimoog).

While we are on the topic of shows, since we last spoke, the price of lasers has dropped quite a bit and if you as me, no planetarium is complete without a laser light show!

Ok, thats enough for now, have a good evening!

Geo

QUOTE(SteveDurham @ Jul 29 2009, 10:55 PM) *
Basements....I'll wade right in....

The only time our basement flooded was when the public works sewer main got plugged, it would back up into the "cellar". The back flo prevention device never did work right.

Dad's workbench was in the cellar. As was the washer and dryer, after the removal of the coal bin. The bin could hold 2 dump truck loads of coal.

I used to experiment with chain reactions in the cellar. I'd cut hundreds of pieces of wax paper, 2 inches by 4 inches and place them in the shape of a tree. Light the trunk at night and watch the fire spread from branch to branch. I got caught once, the smell wafted up thru the floor vents right under Dad's nose. Couldn't sit down easy for a couple days. Haven't played with matches much since.

The only time we had a flood in our basement was when the pool collapsed. Without warning after about 5 mins after I started the pool pump on day, I heard a large metallic thundering sound. It sounded like two trucks collided. I quickly jumped up and exclaimed "What the hell was that!" and looked out the front window. As I was doing so, the metallic sound was replaced by rushing water. I kind of knew what happened at that point and ran to the backyard patio door and my mom joined me. I was greeted with a river of water that careened down the side of the back yard and patio and out to the street. When the "river" subsided, I went out side to inspect the damage.

As it turns out the pool wall gave way right at the point where you screw it together (I have noticed on recent pool collapse videos on You Tube that that seems like a common failure point of frame/wall pools). The force of the water peeled the pool about 1/4 of the way open towards the side facing the garage wall and the corner of the house. In that corner was the pool pump two cinder blocks and about a 100 lb decorative rock. The force of the water threw the pump, cinder blocks and said 100 lb rock across the back yard about 20 feet from their original locations. Now also in the said corner was a double paned window (not thermo pane, but two separate glass panes). The force of the water smashed through both windows and approximately 1/3rd of the pool's water ended up in the basement. The entire basement floor was just about covered in water with the exception of the laundry room which was in the opposite end of the house. However, there was an apparent slope to the basement floor in which the water seemed to favor my storage room where I had my DJ equipment. As the water continued to come in the window, I struggled to get all my DJ equipment upstairs. In the end that storage room ended up with water a little over 2" deep, but the majority of the basement had less than a 1/2" The window was on the finished side of the basement and yes it ruined all the rugs and a couch.

So a word to the wise for those of you that have above ground pools with a steel wall. T E A R IT DOWN NOW! They are NOT safe! I was lucky in that my incident happened with no one in the pool. There was practically NO evidence of rusting on the outside wall of the pool, all of the rust happens behind the liner. So stay away from steel wall pools. They suck! Also it goes without saying, forget about those Easy Set Intex pools...they can pop! In my book, there is only ONE kind of 48" tall above ground pool I would trust and that is one with an EXTRUDED Aluminum wall. Still even then you have to keep an eye out for the bolts and make sure they are not rusting. That is the best way to go...especially if you have kids. Of course if you can afford it, nothing beats an in ground pool smile.gif.

Geo
Owen Phairis
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 29 2009, 04:05 PM) *

geo? enter sandman!

Sir Gare,

You started me thinking about your visitors center and I started wondering....what would make a good visitors center?
I think it is best to try and inspire the audience and spark their imagination before the show, rather than try to prepare them or forshadow the show. This way their their minds will already have their creative juices flowing....

Owen -

Click to view attachment
mrgare5050
Very interesting basement story Steve! And Geo, yes Floyd is king of space rock, though I only bought Dark Side. Never had an oberheim or a moog, dammit. I always wanted an Elka String Machine too. I own a rare Roland Paraphonic Synth organ, if you google it youll find my review

Prof Fantastic ... the visitor center Im finding can be as fun as the planetarium .. im finding I may expand next door into 'menlow park',the first leanto behind the barn originally inspired by the real thing but morphed into a ping pong room.. there are SO MANY weird planetarium exhibits I want to invent that wont fit into a round dark chamber! My yard constellations will be like ... a 7 foot long Big Dipper shining out in the woods ... an 8 foot two by four revolving round a post, with the circumpolar stars shining .. in the backyard! I LOVE constructing tiny fantasy planetarium theaters, I'll post the first pic once I get my detoxed puter back

The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day, the paperboy brings more (from the dark side of the moon, pink floyd)
Owen Phairis
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 30 2009, 07:25 PM) *
Very interesting basement story Steve! And Geo, yes Floyd is king of space rock, though I only bought Dark Side. Never had an oberheim or a moog, dammit. I always wanted an Elka String Machine too. I own a rare Roland Paraphonic Synth organ, if you google it youll find my review

Prof Fantastic ... the visitor center Im finding can be as fun as the planetarium .. im finding I may expand next door into 'menlow park',the first leanto behind the barn originally inspired by the real thing but morphed into a ping pong room.. there are SO MANY weird planetarium exhibits I want to invent that wont fit into a round dark chamber! My yard constellations will be like ... a 7 foot long Big Dipper shining out in the woods ... an 8 foot two by four revolving round a post, with the circumpolar stars shining .. in the backyard! I LOVE constructing tiny fantasy planetarium theaters, I'll post the first pic once I get my detoxed puter back

And every day, the paperboy brings more (from the dark side of the moon, pink floyd)

Sir Visitors Center Gare,

I was thinking about the outdoor portion of your visitors center and your surplus cardboard tube collection. Why not have a rocket garden? Afterall, what planetarium could be considered complete without a rocket, a satellite, and a meteorite or two. I remember the great Hayden Planetarium in NYC had a Viking sounding rocket on display there in the 1950s, and our projector museum has a V-2 rocket, and yours could have a spaceship garden. Dream Big!

Professor Fantastic -

Click to view attachment
Owen Phairis
Apparently the Hayden Planetarium was so proud of their Viking sounding rocket they even minted a commemorative piece...hummm, I wonder if the Planetarium Projector Museum should do the same? Looks like the US Navy might of paid for it......

Owen -

Click to view attachment
mrgare5050
Having just visited the rocket garden at Cape Kennedy a few years back, its a great idea Capt, and Im always into plaques .. as you'll recall I gave Emmons the one off his projector and put 'the cosmic pond' on the donated projector, of course those are small, done by a handmade clock company now defunct up in gallatin (ramcraft, ive got one of their grandfather clocks!)

Now I want a fake rocket or two.. g
mrgare5050
And you know what .. it wall comes back to me because Tuesday is my birthday - I was supposed to get a Cape Canaveral Missle set for my birthday one year, and my mom told me they were OUT OF THEM !!!! I got a more cheesy missle set with rubberband launced things that wasnt nearly as cool .. see link below about half way down .. i NEVER GOT IT!

http://www.missileforums.com/forums/viewto...p?f=8&t=596
mrgare5050
Wait my birthday was last week - does this mean im officially eccentric like Ron Walker? g
Owen Phairis
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Aug 2 2009, 04:11 AM) *
And you know what .. it wall comes back to me because Tuesday is my birthday - I was supposed to get a Cape Canaveral Missle set for my birthday one year, and my mom told me they were OUT OF THEM !!!! I got a more cheesy missle set with rubberband launced things that wasnt nearly as cool .. see link below about half way down .. i NEVER GOT IT!

http://www.missileforums.com/forums/viewto...p?f=8&t=596

I want one too.........Got to have it!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Owen -

Click to view attachment
Owen Phairis
Sir Gare,

It is not too late, there are some on ebay for sale.....

Looks like too much work for me to put one together.
However, looks like it would make a nice birthday gift for you.

Owen -

Click to view attachment
mrgare5050
Im taking my tubes and building me a big one ... ive got the astronaut farmer movie here - bill bob gare can do it!
Owen Phairis
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Aug 2 2009, 04:03 PM) *
Im taking my tubes and building me a big one ... ive got the astronaut farmer movie here - bill bob gare can do it!

Yes, Big ones are better but please try to restrain yourself.

I remember when I lived at Coco Beach and Cape Canaveral was open most every Sunday for a self guided drive through tour. It was a lot more relaxed back then (1968) and you could get out and walk thru the old Mercury rocket launching pads....

Owen -

Rocket Garden at Cape Canaveral
Click to view attachment
jukingeo
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Jul 30 2009, 10:25 PM) *

Yup, Floyd and Rush were up there for the more 'modern' synth sound back in the day. BUT the first synth group that stuck out for me was Styx. They also used the Oberheim synth. You mention an electronic strings instrument, Styx used the ARP String Ensemble. It was one of the best units in it's day. It has very spacey string sounds. You can make very lush sounding pads with that piece. It is a thing of beauty...all you have to do is listen to most of Styx's work from Paradise Theatre on back to experience the sound from this unit.

Floyd is mostly known for the Dark Side of the Moon album with The Wall being a close second. I have both albums. Overall outside of those two albums, I really can't say that I am a die hard Floyd fan. I would say I am more a Rush fan as more of the music from them I like spans more albums. But my favorites are usually from the early synth era which are the Moving Pictures & Signals album. In fact it was the 'peer pressure' vehicle "Subdivisions" that originally got me into Rush. I believe it was the first Rush song to make it into the mainstream because of it's powerful peer pressure theme. They played the song a lot when I was in school when they had programs about not giving in to peer pressure and issues related to smoking, drugs and alcohol.

Geo
jukingeo
QUOTE(Owen Phairis @ Jul 31 2009, 05:50 PM) *
Sir Visitors Center Gare,

I was thinking about the outdoor portion of your visitors center and your surplus cardboard tube collection. Why not have a rocket garden? Afterall, what planetarium could be considered complete without a rocket, a satellite, and a meteorite or two. I remember the great Hayden Planetarium in NYC had a Viking sounding rocket on display there in the 1950s, and our projector museum has a V-2 rocket, and yours could have a spaceship garden. Dream Big!

Professor Fantastic -

Click to view attachment

Ahhh, the 747 of Rockets, huh? A rocket garden sounds good. A nice diorama with many scale rocket models would be a nice addition to a home planetarium.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.