Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Visitor Centers and Exhibits
Observatory Central > Planetarium Forum > Planetariums as a hobby > Planetarium Presentations ~ programs, education, music, and effects
mrgare5050
Heres a subject that I have to deal with because while I hope someday to have 100 seaters, i only have a 16 seater and so if 20 people show up, I cant stack them up in my sunroom, they might eat all my snacks. So Im converting the bottom part of my old barn (central heat all summer, icy air conditioning all winter).. Anyway I'll cover more of this as it takes shape, but exhibits can go here .. stuff for sale... other educational theaters etc .. a tv with a dvd player..

To kick off the weird exhibits phase, I had been toying with this idea of a 24/7 fixed scope a kid could see something to whet imaginations .. so going shopping in the junk here, wa la! a nascent 12 inch pseudo reflector with an incredible 1200X view of saturn! gare

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mrgare5050

my first pseudo-scope here on what will be my main exhibit and buffet table .. anybody got an old mount they arent using? and what color should i paint the tube... gare

Click to view attachment
chemed
I would paint it "Celestron Orange"
but, i have a bias.
Owen Phairis
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Oct 16 2008, 07:57 AM) *
my first pseudo-scope here on what will be my main exhibit and buffet table .. anybody got an old mount they arent using? and what color should i paint the tube... gare

Click to view attachment

High gloss WHITE, would be my choice.

I think a traditional HPA pipe fitting stand is called for, perhaps you could use an old tractor wheel for part of the mount, maybe as the right ascension axis?

Wonderful job on the display!

Owen
SteveDurham
I'd be partial to a nice cotton fabric print of outer space objects...planets, moons, spaceships etc.

Now if it were a real scope???????

Steve
mrgare5050
Yes I'll probably build a simple mount to show how home guys (i was once called an astro hillbilly!) do it. Ive thought of Orange, and White .. I hadnt thought of the space motif! .. Im sortof partial to blue though.... hmmmm g
mrgare5050
i'll post a few pictures of my nascent visitors center gare

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mrgare5050
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
mrgare5050
still need doors but busy building fun exhibits, thats how it goes with things like this ... i always want to work on icing before i have the whole cake

Click to view attachment
Owen Phairis
Click to view attachment

Gare, I like it, and find it very inspirational....

Keep up the good work.

Owen
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Oct 18 2008, 04:35 AM) *

Excellent!!! You have a lot of room there. Continue your great work. If people don't come, it's their loss.
SteveDurham
What a great place for conversations about ALL things astronomy! I can just see myself sitting back sipping on a steamy cup of coffee with a slice of apple pie and vanilla ice cream along with the rest of all you'se guys!

Steve
mrgare5050
thanks guys.. i cant wait for kids to be running around the clubhouse kind of thing. plus i can visit my last 5 couches.. ive slept on them ALL.... g
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Oct 18 2008, 04:37 PM) *
thanks guys.. i cant wait for kids to be running around the clubhouse kind of thing. plus i can visit my last 5 couches.. ive slept on them ALL.... g

It's too bad we weren't all closer together. I feel as though I know all of you and we have get togethers at lest once a week. Gare, your area has a very comfortable home feeling were people can get together and just be people. Places we all need more of.
mrgare5050
all the cool planetarium people seem to be in arizona, but theres a few in ohio and tenn too! actually im from illinois and michigan more than tenn.

working on my pseudo scope today, i was TEMPTED to paint the tube celestron orange and cobalt blue, but took owens suggestion and went for gloss white so i can incorporate that old unitron 10x40 finder we talked about.. thats the mount from one of my 2.4 refractors collecting dust... g

Click to view attachment
mrgare5050

i must admit, after spending NO money .. this LOOKS like a big telescope! i need a light inside finally to illuminate whatever 'image' is being displayed gare, master of delusion i mean illusion

Click to view attachment
Ron Walker
QUOTE(mrgare5050 @ Oct 20 2008, 08:18 AM) *
i must admit, after spending NO money .. this LOOKS like a big telescope! i need a light inside finally to illuminate whatever 'image' is being displayed gare, master of delusion i mean illusion

Click to view attachment

That's a great way to get the smaller kids interested in astronomy. It would be interesting to see the Andromeda galaxy illuminated with black light.
mrgare5050
QUOTE(Ron Walker @ Oct 20 2008, 03:49 PM) *
That's a great way to get the smaller kids interested in astronomy. It would be interesting to see the Andromeda galaxy illuminated with black light.

Ive got the Unitron 10x40 finder on this one now.
moonmagic
Again MORE CLEVER things from Gare!

You really do have a lot of space in there. That's the first time I've seen pictures of your visitor's center. You were meant to be a MUSEUM PERSON. The pseudo-scope is very cool.

Gare ANOTHER inexpensive public item is to use old bathroom scales with your own calibrations as in: What would you weigh on the Moon? On Jupiter etc? You can add more as you find more used scales....

Just take the scales apart and glue your own "dial" on them.
mm
mrgare5050
QUOTE(moonmagic @ Feb 16 2010, 03:03 AM) *
Again MORE CLEVER things from Gare!

You really do have a lot of space in there. That's the first time I've seen pictures of your visitor's center. You were meant to be a MUSEUM PERSON. The pseudo-scope is very cool.

Gare ANOTHER inexpensive public item is to use old bathroom scales with your own calibrations as in: What would you weigh on the Moon? On Jupiter etc? You can add more as you find more used scales....

Just take the scales apart and glue your own "dial" on them.
mm

GREAT idea on the scales MM, would have never thought of that, but it was a favorite exhibit at the old adler. The fake scopes were a byproduct of bringing home huge vinyl poster displays from the sprint store where I work, turning them over they provide huge white projection surfaces which can be overlapped and stapled over my dome surface. AND they come in large cardboard tubes! g
mrgare5050
I thought I had a 'crazy stuff' board, this must be it - most of the stuff from years past is also past, but I've never let go of that 'make something' or 'sell something' for planetarium groups - so the other day I unearthed this old sheet of paper that was an Edmund 'Dipper Finder' - Edmund of course means nothing to todays generations, but to older guys perhaps it brings back many fond memories .. anyway, I built a souped up Dipper Finder, and might use this as a do it yourself thing for kids - i never really liked general planispheres because they were too much detail in too small a package, but just finding the DIPPER has a charming simplicity. Of course you can add (as I did here) more stars, (more stars!), horizon trees, more times etc.

Click to view attachment
Ron Walker
I don't think that I've ever seen that. It is something that could be printed on a sheet of paper (or card stock as that would be better) and with a brad and a pair of scissors make a great project for kids. It could be a handout for free as I doubt one could charge much for it. I have a little "gift shop" on the edge of my control console which has the Edmund full size planisphere star chart as from my perspective it is complicated enough to be worth $5. It comes with a little 16 page booklet explaining how it works. If you buy it from Edmund it is $3.95 with $1.75 shipping so mine is a better deal. With a bulk package of 25 I can get them for $2 each thus making a little for the planetarium. I also sell my daughter's book as well as "copper coin" memberships so there is a little in the "gift shop". One day I might make a dvd or how the projector works but that is a lot of work for probably such a small return.

I probably should spend some time on a web site but that is for after the first year. The first year will tell a lot.
mrgare5050
RW you've got the gift shop spirit! I once made a planertarium Christmas ornament, I'm looking for it now. Going to try a few more 'finders' like the Dipper finder - maybe the Orion finder etc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.