Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dell Inspiron 6000 Memory Upgrade
Observatory Central > Equipment Discussions > Software, Books & Mags
woodwizard
www.Crucial.com

Placed a online order from this company and they sent 2 Pre Authorizations to my bank. Then tried to do a third time but were declined. Beware, the Pre Authorization is for the FULL AMOUNT OF ORDER, not the usual $1.00 or less done by other companies.The 2nd pre authorization overdrew my bank account as this is just a toy account. These funds are now frozen by my bank for 6 days and my order cancelled by Crucial. WHAT GIVES WITH CRUCIAL ???? Customer service refuses to help in this matter.
BUYER BEWARE WHEN ORDERING FROM THIS COMPANY !!!!!
woodwizard
QUOTE(woodwizard @ Nov 13 2008, 10:08 PM) *
www.Crucial.com

Placed a online order from this company and they sent 2 Pre Authorizations to my bank. Then tried to do a third time but were declined. Beware, the Pre Authorization is for the FULL AMOUNT OF ORDER, not the usual $1.00 or less done by other companies.The 2nd pre authorization overdrew my bank account as this is just a toy account. These funds are now frozen by my bank for 6 days and my order cancelled by Crucial. WHAT GIVES WITH CRUCIAL ???? Customer service refuses to help in this matter.
BUYER BEWARE WHEN ORDERING FROM THIS COMPANY !!!!!

Gets even better....Now my bank has charged me $70.00 as a Unavailabe Funds Fee....DAMMMM angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif I have reported Crucial to the Online BBB for this practice.
Ron Walker
QUOTE(woodwizard @ Nov 16 2008, 04:44 PM) *
Gets even better....Now my bank has charged me $70.00 as a Unavailabe Funds Fee....DAMMMM angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif I have reported Crucial to the Online BBB for this practice.

Not quite sure what's happening here. My understanding is that you placed an order for $70. The company checked if you had $70 in your account to pay for the order. You didn't so they cancelled the order.

I've never had a company just charge $1 for any size order, they always make sure the total is available in the account and then place a hold on that amount before shipping.

What am I not understanding?
NeoDinian
They did a Pre-Auth TWICE.

The bank should show those records, and easily be explained to a bank manager... The Insufficient funds charge SHOULD be rescinded. If they say no, then tell them to remove all your money from the bank, as you will use another bank from then on.

Ron Walker
QUOTE(NeoDinian @ Nov 16 2008, 07:34 PM) *
They did a Pre-Auth TWICE.

The bank should show those records, and easily be explained to a bank manager... The Insufficient funds charge SHOULD be rescinded. If they say no, then tell them to remove all your money from the bank, as you will use another bank from then on.

OK, they did the pre-auth twice. They checked for funds after the order and they were insufficient. As a courtesy (and certainly wanting the sale) checked again hoping the account was funded. The second check also found insufficient funds.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of banks (especially in the current economic climate) but I still don't see how Crucial is in the wrong here. If this is a standard practice with your bank (having insufficient funds available and the bank backing you for repayment later) then the problem is the bank, and your beef is with them. Many banks are living off of fees and fines and my guess is that the bank changed the way they operate. To them, there simply wasn't enough money in the account to cover the charge. Perhaps I'm still missing something here.

Now as I read and probably really understand the first pre-auth held $77 and then a second one held a second $77 which overdrew the account. I would agree with you in this case and visit your bank as the problem probably originated there. I guess what through me off was the pre-auth for $1. This I still don't understand.

I've bought a ton of memory from Crucial and have never had a problem.
NeoDinian
Actually no.. The way I read it was he got hit TWICE. The first time he HAD enough.

From working in retail (short time), here's how it SHOULD have gone.

Do a pre-auth. Even if it's the FULL price pre-auth, that's fine. But when the "Purchase" is made, they should NOT have done "ANOTHER" transaction. The way the CC machines work is, if you have a Pre-Auth for a purchase, they are SUPPOSED to use the Pre-Auth number to complete the transaction. This takes the Pre-Auth and turns it into the purchase. This however was not done (The way I see it). They actually did a SEPARATE purchase. So the bank now sees 2 transactions. One is a "Hold" on $70.00 (Which the OP has in the account), and the second was a direct purchase of $70.00 (which the OP did NOT have, since the account had $70.00 on HOLD.)...

This is BAD practice for ANY company.

I use my bank card for gas... If it's done during normal banking hours, the purchase is usually taken in full at that time. Although on the weekend, I notice that I get a $1.00 pre-auth, with a completed transaction on the following Monday and the Pre-Auth removed. THIS is how it should be. smile.gif
Ron Walker
QUOTE(NeoDinian @ Nov 17 2008, 12:20 PM) *
Actually no.. The way I read it was he got hit TWICE. The first time he HAD enough.

From working in retail (short time), here's how it SHOULD have gone.

Do a pre-auth. Even if it's the FULL price pre-auth, that's fine. But when the "Purchase" is made, they should NOT have done "ANOTHER" transaction. The way the CC machines work is, if you have a Pre-Auth for a purchase, they are SUPPOSED to use the Pre-Auth number to complete the transaction. This takes the Pre-Auth and turns it into the purchase. This however was not done (The way I see it). They actually did a SEPARATE purchase. So the bank now sees 2 transactions. One is a "Hold" on $70.00 (Which the OP has in the account), and the second was a direct purchase of $70.00 (which the OP did NOT have, since the account had $70.00 on HOLD.)...

This is BAD practice for ANY company.

I use my bank card for gas... If it's done during normal banking hours, the purchase is usually taken in full at that time. Although on the weekend, I notice that I get a $1.00 pre-auth, with a completed transaction on the following Monday and the Pre-Auth removed. THIS is how it should be. smile.gif

OK, that make sense to me now. Sorry for being so thick.
woodwizard
Neo is basically correct on what happened. Most online sales will send a $1.00 or less pre auth to verify account. Curial sent a full amount of $40.63 which the bank puts these funds on hold which I had enough to cover if this also reverted to a purchase. A 2nd auth for full amount was sent to bank and funds held. The day before I placed two orders for about $31.00 and with the $81.26 on hold from Crucial's auth there was not enough in my account left to cover these orders. Curical also tried to bill me for the $40.63 but this was declinced as the bank already had $81.63 on hold from Crucial's auth. Crucial has said sorry for the 2nd auth, but doesn't know what happened.
I gave them this example.....Say you have $1500.00 in your account and place a order for $1000.00. Crucial sents out a authorization for the full amount $1000.00, the bank puts these funds on hold. Then Crucial bills your account and is declined cause now you only have a available balance of $500.00

In my case i had a little over $91.00 in this account. The 2 authorizations from Crucial totaled $81.26, which the bank held. When my other 2 orders came into bank for $31.00 there was no funds available has they were on hold from Crucials authorizations. Hence two Unavailable Funds Fee for $35.00 each. If Crucial would have sent only one authorization and then this was used for billing, I would have had enough to pay the other two orders and have a balance of around $21.00.
Now I owe the bank $70.00, no memory and order cancelled.
Filed a complaint with the Online BBB, and now it seems Crucial is somewhat trying to make good as they admit to the 2nd authorization error. Will find out.
I had asked them to send me the memory free of charge as I already owe the bank $70.00 for their mistake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.